BBC Article on Strava

March 29, 2013, 12:46 a.m.

Anyways the point is that with all the GPS location and timing inaccuracies and glaring cheating hole this whole scheme has, why do people still go out there killing themselves trying to beat a trail segment by 5-20 seconds.

All this has become is a new version of the pre 90's postal swim meet. Where I think it was Masters Swimming who would put a certain event and distance in the newsletter. If you wanted in you swam it and mailed in your time before a specified date. The results where then posted in the next newsletter.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 29, 2013, 8:55 a.m.

What if I told you… It is easy as shit changing the times on your GPS file before uploading them to Strava.

I am baffled how few people actually know this. I could KOM every single segment all day long.

And what if I told you, on a good day your GPS might be accurate within 50 meters. That is a difference of being off by 2 seconds or so if your average speed on the trail is a blazing 40 kph (FYI, it is not).

Anyways the point is that with all the GPS location and timing inaccuracies and glaring cheating hole this whole scheme has, why do people still go out there killing themselves trying to beat a trail segment by 5-20 seconds.

thanks, we know that, and most people using it aren't out there killing themselves to get KOMs

March 29, 2013, 9:39 a.m.

thanks, we know that, and most people using it aren't out there killing themselves to get KOMs

I don't get the hate for strava. I have a bunch of buddies on it and we go out and try to best each other's times on different segments rides. It is a little bit of extra fun.

I don't typically log my mtb rides as those are generally not as fun to track. The road rides are far more interesting to get out and hammer on.

If you are blowing red lights, stop signs and being douchy it is not because of an app. You have deeper issues and would be doing the same thing regardless.

March 29, 2013, 12:30 p.m.

You must live in a special area where only considerate people are allowed to ride. I have seen the tools ripping past hiking groups with children, and others who have admitted doing similarly idiotic things for KOM glory.

I don't give a shit how good of a pinner anyone thinks they are, unless they are riding in Whistler bike park, they have no business ripping down multi-use trails without shedding speed around poor visibility corners for sake of hikers that may or may not be there. Just check the top finishes on any typical Burnaby mountain segment. The top 10 are all top 10 idiots that should not be allowed to rider there.

Maybe "most people" don't do this kind of crap, but one is one too many.

:bandit:

March 29, 2013, 12:56 p.m.

You must live in a special area where only considerate people are allowed to ride. I have seen the tools ripping past hiking groups with children, and others who have admitted doing similarly idiotic things for KOM glory.

I don't give a shit how good of a pinner anyone thinks they are, unless they are riding in Whistler bike park, they have no business ripping down multi-use trails without shedding speed around poor visibility corners for sake of hikers that may or may not be there. Just check the top finishes on any typical Burnaby mountain segment. The top 10 are all top 10 idiots that should not be allowed to rider there.

I don't disagree with you at all about how people should act on trails. I'm sorry that you have idiots in your area, if there wasn't strava, they'd still be riding like assholes.

March 29, 2013, 2:11 p.m.

I don't disagree with you at all about how people should act on trails. I'm sorry that you have idiots in your area, if there wasn't strava, they'd still be riding like assholes.

If you are blowing red lights, stop signs and being douchy it is not because of an app. You have deeper issues and would be doing the same thing regardless.

Yep. And there where mtbing Jack Asses prior to Strava who would behave the same way with a HRM and a cycling computer. These wits always have and always will exist in cycling.

Reality is we all will and have done the same thing either with GPS or a stopwatch on the bar. To me if you want to do it then pick a time when there are no one out on the trails or go to trails that don't see much use.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 30, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

I don't get the hate for strava. I have a bunch of buddies on it and we go out and try to best each other's times on different segments rides. It is a little bit of extra fun.

I don't typically log my mtb rides as those are generally not as fun to track. The road rides are far more interesting to get out and hammer on.

This. There is nothing more satisfying than stealing a KOM from a buddy.

April 1, 2013, 12:38 p.m.

This. There is nothing more satisfying than stealing a KOM from a buddy.

Exactly Tom, I will be looking forward to trying to dethrone you on something this weekend :)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

April 24, 2013, 2:17 p.m.

I'd like to know where you get this opinion from. I ride Burnaby Mountain regularly and one of the "Top 10 Idiots" you refer to. I like using Strava to track my weekly mileage, personal fitness and riding ability both up and downhill. I've shredded the descents as fast as possible for years before Strava was invented, but I always slow down for hikers / other bikers and always say hello as I pass by. I've yet to have a single confrontation on the mountain after 10 years of riding those trails. In riding / trail maintenance / hiking on Burnaby Mountain for years almost entirely all my encounters with rude folks have been dudes on commuter bikes shredding down Joes / Trans-Canada trail, or out of control sketch bags on beater bikes with no helmets. I know a bunch of the other Burnaby Mountain "Top 10 Idiots" and they're about the nicest most courteous people you could wish to meet. There are bad apples in every bunch, but calling an entire group of people out with no grounds is industrial strength weak sauce. Don't believe me, let's go for a ride sometime.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

April 24, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

April 24, 2013, 4:19 p.m.

This top ten idiot is heading up there to do some maintenance right now. I'm up there often both riding and maintaining, and have great interactions with both hikers and riders. At least on GJ, I've never had to jump out of the way for a DH rider…even these idiot kids you elude to are very good at hitting the brakes and saying hi. I think the rider/interactions up there are quite positive actually. Unfortunately, maintenance started on GJ is making it faster. I apologize for that in advance. You can contact BmBA directly with those complaints, and maybe a suggestion of how to make a heavily used machine built trail (by the city) with bermed corners, that averages 15%…slower.

April 24, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

I was a twat before Strava and still am. Only difference is now I get to visually see how big of a punter I really am when my personals best are absolutely shit hauled

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 24, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

not at all, Dave… clearly if you have it on, you're racing recklessly, destroying trails, and terrorizing other trail/road users…2 people in the whole world have died with it on, it's clearly a menace……

the thing is dave could time his rides with a sundial so the whole strava thing is kind of moot with him.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 24, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

Well I almost ate crow tonight nearly getting smoked by two guys in neck braces. But the second time down it sounded like they were having a blast, so I put the pick away. I must admit guys take their DH training seriously. Whatever I'll punt away on my trail bike and hard tail. It is the quickest way down most of our trails around here, and more fun (at least for me:-). And you get to Strava the uphill :woot:

April 24, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

the thing is dave could time his rides with a sundial so the whole strava thing is kind of moot with him.

you're wrong, strava makes you a menace, I saw it once.