Anybody ever done the kaslo suffer fest 100k race?

Sept. 3, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

Anybody doing it this year?

http://www.kaslosufferfest.com/bike-races/100k-galena-ghost-ride/

Anybody done it before? Is it mostly forest service roads?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Sept. 3, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

yes and yes.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Sept. 3, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

Thats what i thought.. they advertise it as sweet single track, but if you look at google earth, it mostly takes place on double track.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Sept. 4, 2013, 7:35 a.m.

yes and yes.

how was that climb out of sandon? oh, wait…….

Sept. 4, 2013, 8:10 a.m.

how was that climb out of sandon? oh, wait…….

ha. I guess to clarify, I rode most of the course, some how was able to ride past a race marshal at the Three Corners, chased a ghost up the highway for a while and quit. rode the back half of the course into kaslo where I was the first to cross the finish line ;)

the first part of the course is fun idaho peak stuff. the middle is all road and the last tiny bit is trail.

I do have a free entry to the race this year, but have no interest in going back.

here's some history from retallack zone for you flip. circa 2007

Sept. 4, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

ha. I guess to clarify, I rode most of the course, some how was able to ride past a race marshal at the Three Corners, chased a ghost up the highway for a while and quit. rode the back half of the course into kaslo where I was the first to cross the finish line ;)

the first part of the course is fun idaho peak stuff. the middle is all road and the last tiny bit is trail.

I do have a free entry to the race this year, but have no interest in going back.

here's some history from retallack zone for you flip. circa 2007

:) Had to give you grief about that! Did Em ever forgive you? hahah

Sept. 4, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

i rode it last year, the first stuff around new denver was fun. then there was a big chunk in the middle that wasn't so much fun. once on top of the jackson basin, the way down is a road, but fast, and at that point i was just glad i didn't have to climb anymore. the wagon road and the bit of singletrack at the end was fine

i did the 40km the previous year, and i would say there was more singletrack in it than the 100km.

Sept. 4, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

Thanks for the info - signed up for the event this year.
Absolutely, love the Kootenays. Also supper curious about a 100 km race. Wish there were more of those close to home (Squamish).

Will ride the race, and then spend a couple of days exploring the area. Sad to hear about all the road, but I have raced the TEST of METAL and that is a lot of road as well and I still managed to have fun.

Sept. 4, 2013, 11:40 a.m.

Seems a common theme amongst the 100k distance. Only a small percent it seems have a higher percentage of single track.

Hell, even the Cheakamus Challenge was predominantly double track and old logging roads as far as I recall.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 4, 2013, 3:10 p.m.

:) Had to give you grief about that! Did Em ever forgive you? hahah

are you kidding the whole thing was her idea. she embraces the concept of "it does not have to be fun to be fun" way more then I do. I only fucked up at the end when I rode back to meet her, knowing she was hating life, took a short cut and missed her. I think you and KS are more in her bad book due to the last minuet bail out ;) #callout

Sept. 4, 2013, 3:25 p.m.

I think you and KS are more in her bad book due to the last minuet bail out ;) #callout

touche!

Sept. 4, 2013, 9:20 p.m.

rode the back half of the course into kaslo where I was the first to cross the finish line ;)

that now makes sense, as the racer pictures taken were displayed in order of people crossing the finish line, and i wondered why travis wasn't the first pic

anyways, to slynx, you'll have a great time. it is a well run event and great for the town. lots of people, families, bikes, food, beer, etc. pick up a kaslo and new denver trail map and go explore…there are lots of fun trails in the area.

Sept. 30, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

Just back from the race/ride.
I had a great time. 6 inches of snow in the alpine. First time in my life in which I had frost bite in all my fingers (and thumbs). The descent from jackson basin was like a scene out of the mega-avalanche. Finger thaw, in the valley had me screaming for my mom.

Have to say it is not a mtb style course that is in vogue these days. More like an excruciating long distance type event like a ultra marathon. However, much more fun then a gran fondo. The climbs are endless, and the grades never give you a break to recover.

If you want to test your endurance and mental fortitude (or idiocy) then consider it. If you are looking for fun, probably not the event you want to enter.

The race scene was incredible with so many events going on. My boy loved the 3km mtb race as it was on trails and not in a parking lot (he pulled a 3 rd place). Nice to see an event with a overlap with runners. Volunteers were exceptional hanging out in the woods for hours on a day with biblical style rain and snow.

Definitely the hardest one day ride I have ever done.

I had a blast, and would do it again in a heart beat.

Oct. 1, 2013, 6:39 a.m.

Yikes, maybe that explains all the dnfs and longer times? But I agree, it is a great event for the whole family. Glad you survived

Nov. 24, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

Kaslo sufferfest now the kootenay sufferfest.
New courses, and some new races (100km cyclocross race)

http://www.kaslosufferfest.com/