a new future for mtb DH racing?

Oct. 3, 2011, 5:57 p.m.

will the UCI end up being dead(to mtb'ers)?

new DH series by Freecaster
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Freecaster-Plans-2012-Pro-DH-Series.html

and with a new series for 4x will XC follow if both succeed? Freecaster is promising more money, but will it be a better series? Will the sponzors want to drop the UCI series if the Pro DH series really takes off…..

Oct. 3, 2011, 6:36 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off.

It'll only be as good as the teams and sponsors that buy into it and I'll be curious to see if the racers and teams will double the amount of races they attend and how they deal with added travel.

Oct. 3, 2011, 6:44 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off.

It'll only be as good as the teams and sponsors that buy into it and I'll be curious to see if the racers and teams will double the amount of races they attend and how they deal with added travel.

I guess you miss the part where they will try and line up the races to the UCI race location and dates…..seems like they are going about it the right way(or at least this is how I read the following statement)

"All venues consider the optimal routing for teams. UK date set just after fort William"

Oct. 3, 2011, 6:59 p.m.

I did see that, but it does mean the teams will be spending at least an additional week instead of traveling right after the race. It will also cut down on the rest time significantly.

I can see a lot of racers outside of the top 10 choosing the new series over the UCI in hopes to make some money

Oct. 3, 2011, 7:40 p.m.

I think this is a huge middle digit to the UCI from Freecaster.

The Syndicate and CG Brigade onboard already? Finals at C-Worx!? Sounds saucy and exciting. Pray it doesn't go the way of the XFL…..

Oct. 3, 2011, 7:56 p.m.

hey I luved the XFL…

8-)

Oct. 3, 2011, 8:02 p.m.

yeah freecast kick 'em in the nuts!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 3, 2011, 8:31 p.m.

I did see that, but it does mean the teams will be spending at least an additional week instead of traveling right after the race. It will also cut down on the rest time significantly.

I can see a lot of racers outside of the top 10 choosing the new series over the UCI in hopes to make some money

I guess only time will tell. If the courses are good, maybe the racers will put pressure on the people paying their bills????

And ya, if the tops racers can't or won't make it, I could see the outside top ten hitting them.

This sure could mess with the WC's and the amount of racers they get.

Oct. 3, 2011, 8:39 p.m.

the chit chat over on RM is saying the big teams are going to follow the biggest exposure and if the new series will carry better media coverage that might be a blow to the UCI, that is if they even care.

Oct. 4, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

I think Exposure will be the biggest key. For what UCI charges for teams to have a filming crew and a photographer at the races, the choice would be simple.

DH MTB Media has taken huge steps in the last few years, and the UCI has done their best to bring it back down. 10- 15 years ago we got world cup results in magazines published months after the event happened.

Oct. 7, 2011, 5:09 p.m.

pretty stoked on this, i really hope freecaster can make this work and honestly who does wanna hear warner losing it lol the guys is a nut and i love it. " look at the whip"

Oct. 11, 2011, 5:33 p.m.

http://www.dh1.tv/

Oct. 14, 2011, 11:45 p.m.

hopefully freecaster will turn dh mtb racing into what feld motorsports has done with supercross.

The top 80 format is boring to watch, and if you are trying to make dh into a "tv package" then it needs to be shorter and more dramatic…so I think its good they are going with the 30 man final.

I really hope this gets bigger then the uci and is a marketable product and business. That is what will sustain the sport of dh racing.

Oct. 15, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

I am just curious about how this is going to develop. Personally, I think this is the definite step into the right direction.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 26, 2011, 9:24 a.m.

if the finals for this thing are at crankworx does that mean the rob warner will be in whistler? give that a man a mic to mc the races. that guy calling the aline and garbo races would be amazing and hopefully will attract a broader audience….

mtbskierdad