4 Kings

Sept. 11, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

The thing with coast is they have to keep it consistent through the seasons. The majority of their sales comes from rich families getting souvenir shots over the winter. These guys will happily pay 25 a shot. Same with families with kids over the summer. Thats also why they almost always shoot a-line and ciu as they are the most popular with the people who will pay that coin…

anyway here is a link to some free photos my buddy took. they were originally up in the gnar bit of DRC with good light, but then moved to the rock at the end. The ones of skogland riding that rock with a flat scare the shit out of me!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151024401880658.422719.559275657[HTML_REMOVED]type=1[HTML_REMOVED]l=bd903d8eb3

Sept. 11, 2012, 9:50 a.m.

think tony's sending an email out later today

Cool. This means I can stop checking my email and the worca page every 30 seconds. Might actually get some work done today instead of hitting "refresh" 11 billion times.

Sept. 11, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

The thing with coast is they have to keep it consistent through the seasons. The majority of their sales comes from rich families getting souvenir shots over the winter. These guys will happily pay 25 a shot. Same with families with kids over the summer. Thats also why they almost always shoot a-line and ciu as they are the most popular with the people who will pay that coin…

anyway here is a link to some free photos my buddy took. they were originally up in the gnar bit of DRC with good light, but then moved to the rock at the end. The ones of skogland riding that rock with a flat scare the shit out of me!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151024401880658.422719.559275657[HTML_REMOVED]type=1[HTML_REMOVED]l=bd903d8eb3

But the page is even set up for special events. I think $25 for rich tourists is fine, but giving the locals a break on the special events doesn't seem unreasonable.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:01 a.m.

A big thank you to the vollies.

Also a big thanks to the cheering sections along the trail.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

man those girls tricked me! i got over the big rock and they were like 'yay you did it! wooo' so i stopped, then looked up and realized the bonus was the top of the rock. put my foot back on the pedal and made it to the top. not sure if it counted or not.
also may have been slightly distracted by something else at the time…

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

I was so focused on cleaning the section I didn't even notice them, and then at the top just kept going! doh!

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:15 a.m.

thanks for the link, good set of me in the trees!

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

yeah looks like you got the best light out of everyone in the treed section there Todd… perfect timing.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

I was so focused on cleaning the section I didn't even notice them, and then at the top just kept going! doh!

I focused on the bonus section and cleaned it. Then a whole group of us just hung out there for a while to ahhhh "catch our breath and take in the views" before the next timed section. Beautiful part of Sunday's format is you could enjoy that time when not on the clock.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

man those girls tricked me! i got over the big rock and they were like 'yay you did it! wooo' so i stopped, then looked up and realized the bonus was the top of the rock. put my foot back on the pedal and made it to the top. not sure if it counted or not.
also may have been slightly distracted by something else at the time…

Same happened to me. so I had a dab right in the middle when they said that.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:32 a.m.

I focused on the bonus section and cleaned it. Then a whole group of us just hung out there for a while to ahhhh "catch our breath and take in the views" before the next timed section. Beautiful part of Sunday's format is you could enjoy that time when not on the clock.

I was afraid I didn't have a lot of juice left in the legs at that point and stopping just causes me to get dead legs, my loss I guess!

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:36 a.m.

i think this shot from the site canadiandhgirls sums up the vibe on the last day pretty well

big smiles, people chillin… in the middle of a ~50km supertech epic race!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 11, 2012, 11:43 a.m.

climbing up pika's

http://www.wayneflannavalancheblog.com/

Sept. 11, 2012, 1:08 p.m.

Before the results are posted I just wanted to give a huge shout out to everyone that participated, especially the other women- totally inspiring! And of course special thanks to Guinness - for everything.

It was definitely an 'interesting' weekend for me. I signed up with the primary goal being to finish. And a secondary goal of not embarrassing myself in DFL place.

I didn't completely reach my goals, but I think I was close enough to be happy.

As someone who doesn't race, and really just signed up for the challenge, my perspective and experience was in some ways quite a bit different than most.

I was the last rider to start the night ride, but not the last to finish it - so needless to say I was pretty stoked! I even made some legit passes and not just past riders with mechanicals.

As for the DH stage, to be honest, the thought of riding a very XC bike down double black WBP DH trails was the most terrifying aspect of the whole event for me. I spent a bit of time in the park this summer and knew could ride (not race) the course on my big bike. But I was advised against pre-riding it on my little bike. On Sat I was once again the last rider to start the stage and I ended up taking it Way. Too. Slow. I also totally botched the rooty section in DRC. I had the slowest time by far of all the girls but I really didn't care. My only thought at the end was "I just rode my f*cking XC bike down Schleyer - Lower DRC and comfortably cleaned all the rock rolls!!". Hands down that was my biggest accomplishment of the weekend! (yeah I took the go-around in DRC but it was fair game ;)).

I loved that Tony started all the girls together in 2 groups in the afternoon on Yummy/ Foreplay. He even put the second crew of girls ahead of the last group of gentlemen, so it meant I actually got to ride with other people! I was once again stoked that I wasn't the slowest climber up Yummy, and I cleaned some sections of the descent that the guy in front of me walked - yay for small victories! Even if I had the slowest DH time, I was happy with my ride. My time won't mean anything to me.

And then came the Endur-X. I honestly thought I was ready for it. But by the time I got into Business Time, my whole goal of not embarrassing myself was shattered. On the positive side I got a whole lotta quality one-on-one time with Tony :)

I had done enough pre-rides to know I was comfortable on everything from the Flank climb to Mel's. Given how crappy the first sectors were for me, I was shocked (and very excited) that I actually caught up to people by the start of Pura Vida. All the sectors through to 99er exit were great fun for me - yeah, I can't really 'race' it - but I was comfortable riding it all. Tony and I chatted about me skipping Rockwork Orange - which I was pretty thankful for. On Stonebridge Dr, thinking I was way, way behind the pack he suggested that instead of climbing to the Flank I could head down Danimal North then back up WMSM to rejoin the course at Rainbow Bridge. He would send the pack truck down to me and we'd rendezvous at the top of Old Binty's if he beat me there. It seemed like a good idea - until I waited at Danimal. And waited. And waited. I read a text from my hubby - his crew was just leaving the top of Stonebridge when I came out of 99er. D'oh! And as it turned out there were still 8 riders at the top of Stonebridge as I was waiting at Danimal for the truck - double d'oh! I felt like an idiot, but eventually got my food, water and dry clothes from the truck and got on my happy way to do my own remedial ride.

Since Tony hadn't caught up to me yet at Alpine, I decided I would keep going and try to finish. But somewhere along the way to Big Kahuna I started to have the Big Meltdown. I stopped seeing the pink flagging tape and was convinced I missed a turn and was lost. Fighting off tears I texted Guinness to admit that I was defeated, and he convinced me to keep going. Minutes later, the rest of the DFL crew and Tony caught up with me - hubby was right, I wasn't lost.

I rode Big Kahuna, and was SO thankful the timed sector was what it was i.e all the rideable fun parts! But once I saw hubby waiting for me at the end of the trail, I called it quits, beer and food seemed like a way better idea at that point than 102 and Azreal. I still clocked 42km - enough to earn a free beer I felt.

So part of me is super disappointed I didn't really finish it. But a bigger part is still stoked with how much I actually did ride and how good I felt with about 3.75 out of the 4 stages.

If there is a Four Jokers, I'll totally be back. And I may have inspired 2 other girls to join me, but unfortunately for you guys - they were 2 of the Big Kahuna girls :P

"I'm not an ambi-turner. I can't turn left."

Sept. 11, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

^^^^^^ Best post of the Thread. NICE WORK!!!!!!!!!!