4 Kings

Aug. 17, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

dude, srs? the lt seems the perfect bike for something like this

We'll see.

Aug. 17, 2012, 9:15 a.m.

I did 4Queens on a norco sasquatch, I survived (barely) but I sure did stand up a lot.

Aug. 17, 2012, 9:41 a.m.

purg ust has been bombproof. 850g.

whats the difference between ust and non ust? just the bead?
less likely to burp?

Aug. 17, 2012, 10:05 a.m.

Just got a couple of clarifications from TH on dub in the dark.

Just after the bridge TH was talking about there is a very short cut up to Centennial. That's not what he was talking about when he said bear right.

Stay on Soap to ms pinky. Just cross Centennial.

Packard Goose and Satisfied were mixed up.

You're right. Exit onto Polers skip Packard and go to Satisfied. On way back turn onto Polers and enter Packard. Back to Polers. You never cross. May have them mixed up. Go by map. Should make more sense there.

Aug. 17, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

whats the difference between ust and non ust? just the bead?
less likely to burp?

Most UST tires have a much thicker sidewall.

Now that I've finally run some UST tires I don't think I'll ever not run them. They are much burlier than their non-UST couterparts.

After being plagued with flats I'll gladdy suck up the extra weight.

Aug. 17, 2012, 11:46 a.m.

So, I have an offer of Specialized tires at a great price extended to me, and now I can buy some non crap tires.

What to buy?

I am thinking clutch sx 2.3 for the front.
and unknown for the rear
the choices are:
purg control 2.0
Purg S-works 2.0
purg armadillo 2.2
Ground control grid ust 2.1
Ground control armadillo 2.1

I can't do larger than 2.1-2.2 on the rear with the high volume tires and a dh wide rear rim on a 06 Blur 4x.

Aug. 17, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

I did 4Queens on a norco sasquatch, I survived (barely) but I sure did stand up a lot.

narf, i remember you coveting the little waffle bits on my ruffians after getting your hands rattled off the bars on the park stage

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 17, 2012, 12:06 p.m.

Nevegals and no dropper post? Are you copying my bad choices?

no dropper post is a big mistake I'd argue….there's so much up and down on the sectors!

OK OK… hoping for a 34 and a Reverb. We'll see what pans out.

flickr

Aug. 17, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

So, I have an offer of Specialized tires at a great price extended to me, and now I can buy some non crap tires.

What to buy?

I am thinking clutch sx 2.3 for the front.
and unknown for the rear
the choices are:
purg control 2.0
Purg S-works 2.0
purg armadillo 2.2
Ground control grid ust 2.1
Ground control armadillo 2.1

I can't do larger than 2.1-2.2 on the rear with the high volume tires and a dh wide rear rim on a 06 Blur 4x.

I have been abusing a 2.2 Purgatory Grid on the rear of my Scratch - has been great so far. I have dented the rim once (low pressure, came off skinny onto a rock) but no punctures. It mounted up super easy too, hand pump only. I am running Stans sealant and rim strip.

Cheers Ben

Aug. 17, 2012, 5:56 p.m.

narf, i remember you coveting the little waffle bits on my ruffians after getting your hands rattled off the bars on the park stage

Yeah, I had a minor foot dab towards the end of the park stage and it seemed totally reasonable to take the time to wring my hands out for a few extra seconds and relax my gritted teeth.

This year I have full suspension and ruffians, I predict great success!

Aug. 18, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

Just got a couple of clarifications from TH on dub in the dark.

Just after the bridge TH was talking about there is a very short cut up to Centennial. That's not what he was talking about when he said bear right.

Packard Goose and Satisfied were mixed up.

I hope to god this is going to be well marked. I have no idea about any of these trails.

Aug. 21, 2012, 12:55 p.m.

does anyone have the course maps for the Kong-Edur-X? There doesn't seem to be links on the 4 kings page..

Aug. 21, 2012, 1:21 p.m.

Here is a GPS trace that includes the route from Business Time to the end of Mel's. At the end of Middle Danimal (where it hits Stonebridge Dr) we didn't go back up to the flank at the top of Stonebridge Pl, instead we rode Danimal North to Whip me Snip me which isn't in the course.

http://app.strava.com/rides/18967350

The entrance to business time is now pretty obvious as they have built a climbing trail instead of the original rock hike-a-bike. We got to it following Farside by the river and across highline. It's just at the top of the hill on the gravel road after highline ends.

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:54 p.m.

Here is a GPS trace that includes the route from Business Time to the end of Mel's. At the end of Middle Danimal (where it hits Stonebridge Dr) we didn't go back up to the flank at the top of Stonebridge Pl, instead we rode Danimal North to Whip me Snip me which isn't in the course.

http://app.strava.com/rides/18967350

The entrance to business time is now pretty obvious as they have built a climbing trail instead of the original rock hike-a-bike. We got to it following Farside by the river and across highline. It's just at the top of the hill on the gravel road after highline ends.

one note….at the bottom of Old Binty's, I'm pretty sure you have to hang a left and climb back up past the gate on lower 27 switchbacks and head uphill back to the top of rebob, looks like you may have cut straight across from the bottom of OB

Aug. 21, 2012, 11:04 p.m.

one note….at the bottom of Old Binty's, I'm pretty sure you have to hang a left and climb back up past the gate on lower 27 switchbacks and head uphill back to the top of rebob, looks like you may have cut straight across from the bottom of OB

Nope, we climbed up I believe.