2015 wcdh

April 12, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

No doubt its rougher than hell, but even at the WC level watching guys getting swallowed up into holes is cringe-worthy. You see Gwin's bike skipping over the top of the ruts and holes, its gorgeous. MX racers have known this for decades, while it seems downhillers are barely just catching on. Its weird. At that pace they all need to up the stiffness of their forks.

I hear ya, and guys will have to start emulating that. A few others are running a stiffer suspension but I don't think they have adapted their riding technique to it. Does that make sense? Gwinn on the other hand seems pretty much in tune with his setup
It is just the evolution of the sport. The bars and standards always rising

April 12, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

The bars always rising

Ugh and I just got used to lower bars. shit.

April 12, 2015, 11:08 a.m.

stiffer is faster if you can get used to bouncing off stuff rather then rolling over it with huge sag . you can see the ones who run really stiff suspension on the big jumps and drops , some bottom the bike right out and others never seem to use more then 3/4 of the travel on the fork .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 12, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

stiffer is faster if you can get used to bouncing off stuff rather then rolling over it with huge sag . you can see the ones who run really stiff suspension on the big jumps and drops , some bottom the bike right out and others never seem to use more then 3/4 of the travel on the fork .

Would you say that applies to everyone, or just guys running at world cup level speeds?

Coming from a competitive MX background has likely helped Gwin get in tune with running his DH bike that way faster than others that just ride MX in the off season, or not at all…

Ride, don't slide.

April 12, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

Would you say that applies to everyone, or just guys running at world cup level speeds?

Coming from a competitive MX background has likely helped Gwin get in tune with running his DH bike that way faster than others that just ride MX in the off season, or not at all…

maybe 25 to 30% would be able to get the most out of stiff suspension and higher tire pressures ,i think those with a BMX back ground who are used to using their body for suspension and pump more

hell how many times have guys commented they tried a local pro huckers bike like Wades and made the comment it,s got road bike tire pressure and hard tail like feel .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 12, 2015, 2:58 p.m.

At those speeds its all about survival and man-handling the terrain. Watching some of those riders it seemed like the bike was riding them, yet Gwin made the mountain look small, so to speak.

If you watch his fork in those steep rocky sections, he is attacking, fully committed. Part of that confidence is knowing he can really push into his fork and it won't wallow. A lot of those guys, albeit quick, were riding off the backs of their bikes, blowing through the bike's travel.

Watch slo-mo of supercross racers going through the whoops. Do you think they could ride stock suspension at that speed through those massive holes? Not a chance. Its no different from DH racing on a rough track. The steeper and rougher the track the more this applies.

April 12, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

So who was running the ProCore tube system?

April 12, 2015, 5:48 p.m.

So who was running the ProCore tube system?

Neko Mullaly was for sure. You can see the ProCore inner tire flapping in the breeze when his rear tire blows right off the rim. :lol:

Ride, don't slide.

April 12, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

Neko Mullaly was for sure. You can see the ProCore inner tire flapping in the breeze when his rear tire blows right off the rim. :lol:

lol
Pro core works great when your rim looked like his!

April 12, 2015, 6:25 p.m.

Thats what I was trying to say, you have to be able to handle the suspension in those situations. I am getting at physical conditioning, to be able to push the bike around at those speeds in that terrain. And clearly the moto guys do have an easier time of it

April 13, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

In my biased opinion I think clips are superior. Better performance all around (climbing, descending, bike control). Only people who aren't confident on their bikes struggle with clips.

Ride skinnys, stunts, etc fully committed and clipped in! Set your tension low and you unclip in a heartbeat.

Connor Fearon quali'd 6th on flats. Shame he isn't a confident bike rider. I'm sure with clips and more confidence he'd easily be on the podium…

/s

clips or flats won't make any difference on a track like that.

but maybe my sarcasm meter is outta whack. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Shed head!

April 13, 2015, 1:42 p.m.

a little disappointing to have half of the top guys missing from the finals or not riding in top form. Atherton, Hill, Bryceland, Smith, Minnaar, etc… Hopefully its not another runaway season for Gwin.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 13, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-gwins-winning-run-2015.html

not alot of travel on that fork , he sure pumps well thru sections , also that line on the right over the mossy rocks was interesting don,t recall seeing other do it

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 14, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-gwins-winning-run-2015.html

not alot of travel on that fork , he sure pumps well thru sections , also that line on the right over the mossy rocks was interesting don,t recall seeing other do it

His bike is visibly skipping over the top of the holes compared to the other guys' bikes. Its just beautiful to watch. *sniff

Bike set up 101. I betcha all the other guys are now out experimenting with uncomfortably hard forks after that race.

April 14, 2015, 7:18 p.m.

His bike is visibly skipping over the top of the holes compared to the other guys' bikes. Its just beautiful to watch. *sniff

Bike set up 101. I betcha all the other guys are now out experimenting with uncomfortably hard forks after that race.

i run a DJ spring that the guys at Marz cut down for me when they shortened the travel on my 66CR from 180mm to 160mm it,s alot firmer now takes some time to adjust to almost feels the s rigid fork on some stuff .

#northsidetrailbuilders