2014 NSMBA Toonies

May 29, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

I climb the road on it all the time. but yes OB could be a challenge. not timed though so pushing it up is still an option….

straight-lining the steep blown out section of severed would be worth the pain though….

I actually doubt I will be able to make the race so was trolling more than anything anyway.

There is a little lung buster climb on stage 3 that would be an energy sap on big squishy dh bike.

If people want to ride the road (I personally hate climbing the road), feel free. The course is marked via climbing Old Buck. There is no flagging for alternate routes into the top of Pingu.

May 29, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

I'd also bet there are greater gains to be made on the long top pedally part of Severed than down the steep pitch, so a bike that pedals well would be advantageous there.

May 29, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

I'd also bet there are greater gains to be made on the long top pedally part of Severed than down the steep pitch, so a bike that pedals well would be advantageous there.

The whole top section is pretty pumpy now so a little bike would work better for that reason too.

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 29, 2014, 12:49 p.m.

Tempted to run spikes to upset Skip for this one….

fyp

May 29, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky…
Tempted to run spikes to upset Skip for this one….

fyp

Lol. In unrelated news….. have I shown you my new axe?

May 29, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

If people start showing up to the wet days with spikes on I think I'll have to ban them from future Toonies. Or maybe some sort of community service of trail work hours.

DH mud racing spikes will earn you two mandatory TAP trail day work sessions.

May 29, 2014, 3:13 p.m.

Tonight is gonna be fuuuuuuuuuun!! The view of Seymour from my downtown office is….well….there's not much of anything except a very dark and damp cloud! I'll pass on the spikes but in the spirit of enduro, will definitely be sportin' some goggles… :coo:

May 29, 2014, 3:21 p.m.

It's stopped raining here on lower Lonsdale.

Tonight goggles are certainly the smart choice regardless of fashion and internet comment sections.

May 29, 2014, 10:55 p.m.

I did my first NSMBA toonie today and wanted to give major props to Brian, the NSMBA, the volunteers and Obsession Bikes. I can't wipe the grin off my face. Seriously $2 for a perfectly organized event, on a kick ass course, with instant results at the bottom, a pulled pork sandwich and a beer? It's a no brainer! Epic cheers to all involved, I can't wait till the next one.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 29, 2014, 11:15 p.m.

That course was ridiculously fun tonight. Thanks for a great evening!

And thanks to the builders for the excellent work on Severed. It's running great.

May 30, 2014, 6:45 a.m.

That course was ridiculously fun tonight. Thanks for a great evening!

And thanks to the builders for the excellent work on Severed. It's running great.

Exactly. Thanks to all the builders for all the hard work and to Brian for making me go ride it. A lot of people last night hadn't been down severed in over 5 years because of how bad it had got but everyone left super stoked.

May 30, 2014, 9:29 a.m.

Big thanks to the two proud trail builders that really wanted to show off their new work on Severed, Skip (Martin) and Mudhoney (Penny).

When we were out marking the course on Wednesday I came down the trail to find them raking rocks off the trail. That is some dedication.

Thanks again to everyone for supporting this. 101 riders last night.

Results are currently on the Sea To Sky Series page.

Toonie #3 Results.

I am working on getting these migrated over to the NSMBA page, need to work out a Drupal 7 vs Drupal 6 thing to make it work. Also they are still cumulative time, working on getting it broken down to individual stage times.

May 30, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

I had a stab at figuring out stage times (attached). Thanks Brian for an awesome event!

June 10, 2014, 2:38 p.m.

I'm looking forward to the race this Thursday. Any word on what stages you're thinking Shirk?

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

June 10, 2014, 2:47 p.m.

I'm looking forward to the race this Thursday. Any word on what stages you're thinking Shirk?

Working on getting the map up.

Liaison 1: Climb from Water Towers to Leopard
Stage 1: Leopard - Kirkford down to 3rd switchback
Liaison 2: Climb from 3rd Switchback up to Pipeline
Stage 2: Pipeline
Liaison 3: East on BP
Stage 3: BP (it will include the climb up to Stairs of Despair)