2014 NSMBA Toonie - Feedback

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

With XC it would remove the rolling start. Fixed start time is hard for people to make on a weeknight.

good point. a part of me still thinks the xc format does a better job of testing all aspects of a rider's ability, but i can see how it wouldn't be as popular

DH won't happen. Proper dedicated DH opens up all kinds of course taping and safety issues.

i guess by dh i was more thinking a single sustained downhill rather than stages. more pin it to win it and less strategy? as you say, many riders at the toonies are likely riding at dh speeds anyway - by proper dedicated dh do you mean different (types of) trails?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 17, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

Shirk!!! Can we call the 40+ cat the Señor category? Excellent job this season! I totally loved every race the crew and I rode in. Met tons of cool people and added a few new friends to our riding posse. Ya the BP segment might have been played, but it's tough to have everything. Maybe we could throw in a Floppy Bunny or a Pile of Rocks a couple more times to take the edge off the BP thing? It would also be rad if the district would play nice and let us use bobsled once! For the guys who want an xcish night, the seymour races that you mapped out this year I felt took care of that. Maybe a Super D race would be cool? Classic Seymour DH in 3 segments.1 CBC,2 Corkscrew and Pangor, 3 Pingu. Shuttle if you want,but no dual crowns allowed! That might be cool to mix it up. As far as the price goes $5 is a bargin! I'd be more than happy to pay $10 or more. Also..put it out there if you need anything. I think a lot of people are keen to support these things. That rocky mountain night was a total blast!

Sept. 17, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

First of all, I would like to thank you, the volunteers and sponsors in making the toonies possible. I have really enjoyed the format as it mirrors what I normally do when I ride with friends which is to ride casually up and race each other down.

I am saddened that Ladies will not be a stage as I do enjoy the trail but understand that it does scare some people away.
I would be disappointed if it started to move away from tracks that pointed downhill to more xc trails. I only started racing in these toonies because they were not xc races. Having one long xc oriented stage in place of shorter downhill stages takes away from the social aspect of riding up with friends toward each stage. It also lends itself to meeting new people between stages. While it is not my favourite trail, I do not mind riding Pipeline. I much rather that than Leppard.

As mentioned before, riding Fromme to me has been about taking the time to ride up / shooting the shit with friends and ripping down as fast as you can, trying to either keep your buddy in sight or if you are in the lead, trying to drop your him/her These toonies were just that. Please do not change them to be more xc oriented or stages that are super pedally but that just my opinion.

While I realize that it is probably easier for sponsors to hold the bbq off site, I prefer the bbq to be on site. Because of where I live, I am fortunate to be able to pedal to the toonies on Fromme. I know of others in the same situation. I really do not have an interest in riding home to possibly change/ shower, pick up the car to drive back out to some offsite location. I think having the bbq on site catches the most amount people. The race is fresh in our minds and our bellies in need of food.

Oct. 6, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

Hello - yes, great series, thanks to all.

Things I'd love to see next season:

Hardtail category
Dog category
Races in May, June, July and August
Even split between seymour and fromme
Sponsors supplying vollies
After parties (I think it's fine to have some on and some off the hill)
Large turnouts
$5 entry
vegetables to put on my post race burger

Things I don't want to see next season:

Racing on BP
Mass starts
Racing in late summer (I normally burn out or go bike in other places later in the summer i.e. August/September)
Racing uphill
people complaining about the course

Oct. 6, 2014, 10:43 p.m.

Dog category

eh?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 7, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

eh?

Hell ya. My dog is faster than yours. Lol (And Amy Dunn's dog is faster than mine.) :P Truthfully though I did't bring my dog to the Toonies because if you're trying to set your best time it's hard to wait in the middle of stage for your dog to sniff a bush. Amy's dog tore it up and beat half the field though but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that has any concern about their dog keeping up at race speed.

Oct. 7, 2014, 4:44 p.m.

Yes exactly. If you bring your Dog, it pays and it gets a chip. We could then have a "Dog" category and a "Dog + owner" category, which are the combined times. We could become the worlds first "Dog + owner" enduro series.

Oct. 7, 2014, 5:44 p.m.

Yes exactly. If you bring your Dog, it pays and it gets a chip. We could then have a "Dog" category and a "Dog + owner" category, which are the combined times. We could become the worlds first "Dog + owner" enduro series.

that sounds like a shitshow waiting to happen.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 7, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

I'd like to bring my cat.

FFS, i hope you're kidding.

Oct. 8, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

yes i am kidding.

Oct. 8, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

Okay Ned I've gone ahead and signed you up as leader of the house pets enduro. I'll teach you how to use the timing gear. All house pets are accepted in this format, cats, dogs, even hedgehogs. You've got this.

Oct. 8, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

I can't believe your dog's a pro, my dog is so much better than yours

Oct. 8, 2014, 12:27 p.m.

Can frogs enter?

Oct. 8, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

If said frog is a house pet, it's in.

If said frog is poached from a certain park on Fromme then it's out.

Oct. 9, 2014, 3:15 p.m.

we don't discriminate. Frogs are welcome, as are Canadians, Americans, Brits, Spaniards, anything goes.