2014 NSMBA Toonie - Feedback

Sept. 12, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

WORCA's AGM is next week, I've already lobbied for an increase in our thursday events and will continue to make that argument. $2 is barely covering costs and we aren't raising nearly enough for the trails program right now. You should definitely go for 5, because that's even really cheap for what we get.

Hearing from where you guys are at with the Toonies was a prime motivator to increase.

I don't think it will affect the turn out numbers but it will have an impact on what gets put into the trails.

Sept. 12, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

I fully enjoyed attending 3 of the races this year (2 on Fromme, and one on Seymour) and almost all of them the previous year! The sponsors this year kicked ass so "THANKS!" to them.
In terms of trail options, I echo the numerous "reduce the number of Stairs of Despair (BP) stage" comments and that different (and longer) trail options. It is unfortunate that Ladies will be getting the axe as the first time I rode it was at the toonie last year. Instantly loved it and continue to enjoy it. But I also understand that its difficulty probably keeps people away.
My suggestion for one evening would be
S1: 7th-Leppard-Crinkum-Kirkford
T1: Up road to Floppy
S2: Floppy - Natural High.
T2: KOTS - Road to 1st Switchback
S3: Upper [HTML_REMOVED] Lower Griffen to Griffen Switchbacks
T3: Wherever the beer is flowing…..

I would like to see some more Seymour nights. A Dales/Forever After stage and a Greenland, Bottletop, sprint to the Bridal Path uphill trailhead stage would be pretty awesome!
What about adding a fall "toonies" night series (aka bring your lights)?

Sept. 12, 2014, 3:40 p.m.

On the final one this season that is what we did.

So that big change I want to make next year………$5 per night. Option to pre-reg for them all and save $5 or $10.

Would need a new name, can't be the Toonie's when we're charging a fiver.

If enough sponsors aim for ten events. We had six the first year, and eight this year.

I want to see them generate some real money to give back to the trails on top of being a great social night. It's a big jump more than double the entry fee but if they can pull in 4-5K over the course of the series that goes towards a lot of paid dedicated trail work.

…"Fivers"?

Missed a few but had an awesome time. Maybe a few fall morning events?

Sept. 12, 2014, 4:18 p.m.

And always prioritize enough food for all volunteers at the apres. A dried out leftover veggie patty after 4 hours on the hill sucks.

Sept. 12, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

And always prioritize enough food for all volunteers at the apres. A dried out leftover veggie patty after 4 hours on the hill sucks.

Hey man take your complaints to the volunteer co-ordinator. I just organize the fun stuff. :beer:;)

Sept. 12, 2014, 8:51 p.m.

Speaking from personal experience as a race organizer, despite excellent weather in september and october we always had a much lower turnout for fall races than spring races. It sounds great on paper but for some reason people don't come out. Maybe they are burnt out from racing all summer and just want to ride.

Sept. 15, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

The baden stage was always the least enjoyable for myself and the group that I was doing the races with. Plus it being a hiking primary trail I figure it has the highest potential to piss off the local hikers. So maybe not worth racing on.

Ladies Only as a leg always scared away my wife and her friends from those race days.

Would take extra volunteers, but what about a just girls course? The women my wife rides with would certainly enjoy that, less of the ripping dude on your heals feeling and a great chance to meet other girls who ride the shore. Like the ladies pre ride, (which she enjoyed) but obviously a dedicated race day. maybe even on a different day?

More races that include 7th, it is ideal for racing, everyone knows it - rides it and it opens up to lots of 2nd stage options.

Duplicating trail stages on later races would be fine, I don't think it needs to be unique every time.

$5 is a great idea.
Off hill BBQ are a win!
Big shout out to the sponsors!!
And the vollies!!

Sept. 16, 2014, 2:32 p.m.

I'm what someone termed "average rider" and I went to #7 #EBFiesta with the after party at Endless. I do ride Fromme fairly regularly (couple times per month), but rode Oil Can blind. The event was organized so well, the stages were fun and while I placed low… I still progressed in my own way from racing it (and PR'd all the segments). I'm new to the community and everyone was super friendly. Anyhow, for $2 (or even $5 or whatever you want to charge) it was about the best value for the money I've ever spent on anything… pulled pork, buffet, beer etc. I mean, people from other sports say what a great deal a certain event is (that cost $40-50 or whatever) and I feel like I have some secret they won't ever know. Haha

Not sure what else to say, but keep up what you're doing… I definitely want to come to 4 or 5 next year and sad I only caught on late in the season! Arriba! :mexico: :beer: :banana:

Sept. 16, 2014, 2:41 p.m.

q: is the format always "enduro" - and if so, does it have to be? i really liked the idea of the FV series when they started, a mix of xc, stage and dh races. bonus points/extra category for folks who rode everything on the same bike

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 16, 2014, 3:25 p.m.

q: is the format always "enduro" - and if so, does it have to be? i really liked the idea of the FV series when they started, a mix of xc, stage and dh races. bonus points/extra category for folks who rode everything on the same bike

Does it have to be? Not really I guess, but I think XC would get low turn out.

With XC it would remove the rolling start. Fixed start time is hard for people to make on a weeknight.

DH won't happen. Proper dedicated DH opens up all kinds of course taping and safety issues. Yes I realize that some of the fastest guys are likely going just as fast on their trail bikes.

It's not really supposed to be about collecting points or a series. I really want people to see it as a fun social night first and timed riding second.

That said if the hardtailer's want a category it's an easy add.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:09 p.m.

I think I mentioned this before but arrows at major junctions would help. I know on the dreamweaver stage numerous people got lost, my one friend got so lost he just went home hahaha. Anyway I'll try and help tape next year regardless, I'm sure it's a pita.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

adding categories would be cool (men, women, senior citizens, etc). nice to be able to compare yourself to your peers.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:21 p.m.

That said if the hardtailer's want a category it's an easy add.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

adding categories would be cool (men, women, senior citizens, etc). nice to be able to compare yourself to your peers.

The 40+ cat will officially be called Senior Citizens.

Tmack I plan to get more arrows for next year. Also train a group of monkeys to tape the courses.

On the Dreamweaver day we had someone pull down tape. I taped the course late Wednesday, like exiting in the dark late and by Thursday evening someone had decided to pull tape. It's odd as they decided to not pull tape and take it with them like a concerned hiker might. The person pulled tape at the DW/BP intersection then tried to hide it down off DW below the BP, I noticed the removed tape while hiking down to clear tape only because I happened to look back up at an awkward spot. I think at key intersections I'll try to post a sign/print out saying the date of the event and politely asking not to remove tape. Hopefully it would stop a concerned hiker from thinking it's left over old tape.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

The 40+ cat will officially be called Senior Citizens.

Tmack I plan to get more arrows for next year. Also train a group of monkeys to tape the courses.

On the Dreamweaver day we had someone pull down tape. I taped the course late Wednesday, like exiting in the dark late and by Thursday evening someone had decided to pull tape. It's odd as they decided to not pull tape and take it with them like a concerned hiker might. The person pulled tape at the DW/BP intersection then tried to hide it down off DW below the BP, I noticed the removed tape while hiking down to clear tape only because I happened to look back up at an awkward spot. I think at key intersections I'll try to post a sign/print out saying the date of the event and politely asking not to remove tape. Hopefully it would stop a concerned hiker from thinking it's left over old tape.

I think me and the guys are going to help you out with some arrows, I'll keep in touch