2012 Bear/Red Mountain Challenge!!

June 21, 2012, 11:44 a.m.

I been helping a guy train on that bear course the last 2 days If i keep doing this ill have to enter in the old guy division. why does it have to be when sun peaks open bad timing .The track is so well laid out and is pretty demanding having the burn at the end your legs and lungs are cooked.
Was the first time i rode it ever finally got all the gaps except the two in a row.
tried it on single crown .

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

June 21, 2012, 11:33 p.m.

On line registration is open until 11:00pm June 28, but early bird registration closes June 23rd. Save the late fee by registering soon.

Tom's been doing some work on the XC course. If things work out, the course will be marked this weekend.

Todd is working on the DH course. Reports so far are all positive.

June 23, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

The XC course is taped.
The race loop will be like last year something like 5 and a half K.
This course will have like last year a road section where ,if you got it in you to pass and singletrack teck.
Lots of techy singletrack,from climbing to descending,then back onto the road for a short spin and back in.
Those XC riders who bring your friends ,will be able to watch and shout encouragement to you ,at the feeding zone or on course.
More of a Olympic format of shorter laps, and more of them.
This way you get to see lead changes or just to cheer on the riders.
We are hoping local riders will come out and support by racing the race.
Those who are brave enough,we even have a $10 off entry fee if you race both XC and the DH race.
I remember racing back in the day of doing the DH,XC and a hillclimb ,samebike no pads.
Big smile, we were racing.
DH course
looks like the boys are doing a bangup job.
Bear DH ,chunder returns.
Big personal thanks to RACEFACE ,for their generosity and support.
Running these races , support like this in our local scene by a top notch company,priceless.
Living and riding in BC ,we are just so lucky.
Don't forget to register.
g

FVMBA Website

June 24, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

Steve Smith, 2006 @ 16 years old. He's the man to beat with 3:33!!

And, yes - top finishers in Elite get CASH!. all other winners = swag! (Including some from Raceface!)
Everyone: Cash Coupons for Mission Springs pub [HTML_REMOVED] Restaurant!!

June 24, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

Rode the course today, super wicked awesome!

June 24, 2012, 7:39 p.m.

To all who know me, I have for whatever reason been a little more stressed this year.
After those who care for me a huge outpouring of support.
We have and still are as every race around ,looking for volunteers.
My goal and our teams goal is to continue Bear Mtn. Challenge.
16th year coming up.
Great lineage, classic, tradition.
Earlier this year some of our core group have left, lives changed.
LIke everyone I don't like change,it's scary,and rightly or wrongly you feel exposed.
Every race organizer most likely scrambles, no matter how organized you may be.
Thanks to cycling bc for whenever I have send last minute e-mails they have answered and supported me. Thanks to Karla for taking over a tough job (volunteer co-ordinator) and smiling.
Steve R,(stillgoing) to keeping our programs on track and working his butt off to make it all a "overnight success"
To all the racers,whether you have preregistered or not, without you we would have nothing.
I just wanted to say thanks, we have done the work, and one more week and our core ,can then wait for the bomber volunteer/sponsor party at Mission Springs coming up.
From the heart.
g

FVMBA Website

June 24, 2012, 7:47 p.m.

it will all work out in the end Gary! It alwsys does!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 24, 2012, 7:58 p.m.

Thanks Sharon.
Like the first time I met you,
Giving the FVMBA boxs of free spikes at your house.
We are all the same tribe.
g

FVMBA Website

June 24, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

Lots of people out pre riding today!

June 25, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

We should be out there tmrw if you guys want some free tips!

The Learn to Race Clinic this weekend will be a good time as well!

See you there at the Bear.

16 years of BC Cups for me! Yikes.

Old Skool Roolz.

c

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 25, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

This thread has been viewed over 1000 times. What people need to know is that it take 3 things to make a race happen. Ridiculously passionate [HTML_REMOVED] devoted organizers, interest from racers and volunteers. Without all three things happening at the same time, its just a bunch of us standing around in the bush.

Gary and Steve definately fit the bill for passinate and devoted race organizers. If one only knew half the time they have put into the prep so far this year, you'd be amazed.

Racers that pre register let the organizers know that they efforts aren't for not. And to all you fair weather racers out there, without the pre reg interest, races wont happen. (read Arduum)

Lastly is volunteers. This year, the need for vollies is top of the list. Bear Mountain Challenge has the orgization behind it and there should be plenty of racers to rip the course, but there is a need for Vollies. Without course marshals, it will be hard to hold a race.

If your broken and cant race, or your bike is broken and you cant race, or you just want to be apart of the action, becoming a Vollie is the easiest way to still take part. Plus there is always beer at the wrap up parties.

Volunteering insure that the future of racing will carry on. Post here or PM Gary if you can come out and help.

Vollie Vollie Vollie, Oi, Oi, Oi!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

June 27, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

XC course is drying up nicely and running fast…bring on the rain!

June 27, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

Silly question but can that course be shuttled during weekends other than the race?

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

June 27, 2012, 9:59 p.m.

Silly question but can that course be shuttled during weekends other than the race?

no, i believe the gate is locked so your only option is to push up the dh course and then ride down

ETA: other option is to ride up from the locked gate, just don't park in front of the house at the gate, there's a pullout area further down

June 28, 2012, 5:09 p.m.

Online registration closes tonight at 11:30.
If you miss it, you can register in person Friday 5 - 8, or early Saturday.

Be early!!!

Anyone remember Matt Scott from the FVMBA Spring series??? Yup - That Matt. He's going to be coordinating the XC race, so be prepared to have a blast.