2011 Bear Mountain Challenge (XC & DH races)

May 14, 2011, 9:28 a.m.

I think I might have to start getting in some training miles on the XC course. Too much time off the bike this year so far.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

May 14, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

I think I might have to start getting in some training miles on the XC course. Too much time off the bike this year so far.

You know where to find me! I'll be heading up this afternoon.

May 30, 2011, 8:18 p.m.

Any idea where to find the results from the past years?

http://www.muddbunnies.com/category/news/competition/race-team-blog/lisa/

June 2, 2011, 8:59 a.m.

Facebook pages have been set up for both the Bear Mt DH Challenge and Red MT XC Challenge. Stop in and 'like' them.

www.ianharker.com

June 8, 2011, 11:54 p.m.

Todd K has been working hard on the DH course. He recently sent in this report - Thanks Todd!!!

"Hey there big guy! Been a while since I gave a Bear DH report to anyone so I figured I should pass some info along. I have done alot to the lower half of the trail. Lots of drainage and rerouting down low. The lowest switch backs are redirted. All the drainage from the rock drop up to the left hand berm reopend. It's crazy how quickly this area bungs up! The step down in the steep switch back is rebuilt and berm reformed and dirted. The lill gap through the tree is finaly a log taller. No more having to do the mad pull to lift the bike higher to make this work! The right hand berm after the table top is dirted up as is the landing to the table. The right hand berm going into the table was completely ripped out and I fully rebuilt it. Lots of rotten wood as well as a log pointing right into the line. The second berm in the switch backs had a rotten birch in it, so ripped it out replaced and redirted. The first berm in the same switch back was a full rebuild. The back support logs weren't even together, two of them were red rott, and the dirt and been push down to the flatt. New logs all braced together, LOTS more dirt, and a place for the water to go was dug. The water has always been the problem here. I still need to revisit this to come up with a better plan for the water. The big left hand corner after the two big doubles is dug out and the drain to the creek is open again." … "There are still a couple of bigger things I want to hit, but mostly drainage for the upper parts. The trail is running well all together. "

June 11, 2011, 10:18 p.m.

XC Course map is up on the Red Mt Challenge Facebook page.

June 14, 2011, midnight

will there be onsite reg for the DH or should I make sure to sign up prior?

Loud Hubs Save Lives

June 14, 2011, 7:36 a.m.

will there be onsite reg for the DH or should I make sure to sign up prior?

speaking as a race timer, it makes it a heck of a lot easier for the organizers if you sign up prior.

June 14, 2011, 8:42 a.m.

Lady Gravity is correct in that it's a hassle for organizers. But yes, you can sign up on site.

I'd suggest signing up Friday evening rather that Saturday morning though - By the time you sign up on Saturday, there will already be a lineup for the shuttles.

Come early - be on the first shuttles - they almost always run only partially full, and then people bitch later.

Speaking of shuttles - Get your mandatory 2 runs in on Saturday. We are running shuttles for practice on Sunday morning as well, but it is impossible (given the road and logistics) to get everyone up the hill multiple times in the short period of time available before the race. That being said - we'll have more capacity on Sunday morning than last year, so it will be better.

Just BE EARLY!!

Our announcer at the rock/doubles this year is Brett Tippie.

June 14, 2011, 3:06 p.m.

speaking as a race timer, it makes it a heck of a lot easier for the organizers if you sign up prior.

Totally agree..was asking on behalf of another islander

Loud Hubs Save Lives

June 14, 2011, 7:32 p.m.

Speaking of shuttles - Get your mandatory 2 runs in on Saturday. We are running shuttles for practice on Sunday morning as well, but it is impossible (given the road and logistics) to get everyone up the hill multiple times in the short period of time available before the race. That being said - we'll have more capacity on Sunday morning than last year, so it will be better.

Just BE EARLY!!

I'm gonna be one of those a**holes rushing to pump out 2 laps sunday morning, due to prior family commitments I'm out of town all day saturday but I will be there super early to make sure I'm first in line.

June 14, 2011, 8:08 p.m.

We are all working hard to make the Bear race run as smoothly as good planning allows.
Always looking for volunteers especially sat morning as we run the XC course and DH practice at the same time.
XC course we are trying something a little different.
Shorter, more laps,but this will mean more opportunity to pass and if you've got it, to show it.
Lap changes will be seen , and any epic battles will be noted. The XC course has lots of single/doubletrack, climbs ,descents and steeps,as well as a good dose of flow.
Big thanks as always to Todd K,for his love of this course and hard work he puts in to it.
Make sure you give a thanks to Todd, and Tom . Different course's but both hard workers for all of us.
This year marks 15years strong,Bear Mtn. Challenge has continued on,with the course record owned by Canada's best world cup racer .
Who at the time was only 16years old Mr. Steve Smith.
Course record holders include Andrew Shandro,for years and Shaums March and??
A couple more sleeps and it's on again.
The concession again will be run by Abbotsfordbmx, so your hunger and patronage will help the future young guns of the sport. The Bear Race committee will again be also giving a cash donation as well as all money from the concession to the great people at Abbotsfordbmx.ca
Bikers supporting bikers.
Good luck to all racers.
Gary:P

FVMBA Website

June 15, 2011, 6:17 p.m.

I'm gonna be one of those a**holes rushing to pump out 2 laps sunday morning, due to prior family commitments I'm out of town all day saturday but I will be there super early to make sure I'm first in line.

Haha, me too bud. We'll be in the same boat so there'll be no excuses when I beat your a$$. :P Just changed my flight to late Friday night but busy all day Saturday. We can push up Jolly Rancher on Sunday for a second lap if the shuttle is too busy. Grab lunch at my place before the race.

June 15, 2011, 11:38 p.m.

When can we sign in for the race? Rock and I are both registered but can we sign-in and get our plates sunday am or do we have to get out there friday evening or saturday?

June 15, 2011, 11:47 p.m.

Haha, me too bud. We'll be in the same boat so there'll be no excuses when I beat your a$$. :P Just changed my flight to late Friday night but busy all day Saturday. We can push up Jolly Rancher on Sunday for a second lap if the shuttle is too busy. Grab lunch at my place before the race.

It's on like donkey Kong! Been scoping lines with the builder so hope you bring your 'A' game lol. Lunch at your place sounds good, got a big/full beer fridge buds?

Who else from the B-team is coming out? Who's gonna post fastest time?