Would I be stupid to get a d90 ?

Nov. 17, 2008, 10:51 p.m.

Sigma 15mm! Have never run into any issues with it, but then again I have never used a canon 15mm so I don't really have anything to compare it with.

Nov. 17, 2008, 11:22 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

What is meant by don't use anything slower than 2.8 ? Is that the f2.8 on the lense? I thought that had to do with the amount of light it let in.

When you say the 30d is faster than the rebel, do you mean max shutter speed, lag or pictures per second in burst mode ? And yes you're right I don't have a clue but I really feel like I want a warranty. Things tend to die when I touch them, such as my current point n shoot, and my xbox360 (5 so far ).

One of these is not like the others.

Nov. 18, 2008, 7:56 a.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

What is meant by don't use anything slower than 2.8 ? Is that the f2.8 on the lense? I thought that had to do with the amount of light it let in.

When you say the 30d is faster than the rebel, do you mean max shutter speed, lag or pictures per second in burst mode ? And yes you're right I don't have a clue but I really feel like I want a warranty. Things tend to die when I touch them, such as my current point n shoot, and my xbox360 (5 so far ).

Comparing a point and shoot and a quality DSLR is like comparing potatoes to bananas. it doesn't make sense. Point and shoot cameras are made of cheap plastics, lenses are made of the same cheap plastic with a cheap servo to open or retract it. Of course they break easily.

I am selling my 30D at a ridiculus lost just because I need the money to fix my car. I wouldn't normally sell it for less then 600$ The 30D is a far superior camera then the XSI. It doesn't even compare.

The XSI is made of the same cheap plastics as the point and shoots. The 30D has a magnesium body which makes it much much more resistant and reliable. it also has a bigger body which helps with the grip when you have a bigger lens on it and that's a huge advantage when you have to hold it for hours. The 30D has a faster AF then the XSI and has a faster frame rate too.

Used quality bodies like a 30D are rated for over 150 000 actuations and trust me they are quite reliable. a copy like mine that has less 10 000 and has been well treated will always beat a brand new rebel model. The other thing is that if your rebel breaks it probably is not worth fixing. if the 30D breaks it probably is worth fixing and would most likely cost less then a new rebel body.

Anyways not trying to sell you my body but just to make you understand that buying used can be just as safe as buying new. Try out the used body before you buy and confirm the shutter actuations count. the actuations are a good indicator of how used a body is.

Heck!! I bought my 1D bodies with 40 000 and 60 000 actuations (these are 8 year old bodies) and they are still problem free!!!

Cheers!

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 18, 2008, 7:59 a.m.

the 2.8 is the aperture value. the smaller the number the bigger the aperture is when fully open. the smaller the aperture value, the more light can enter the lens. usually to shoot in the woods anything higher then 2.8 will make it harder to shoot and you would need to either raise your ISO (lose quality with higher ISO) or use a slower shutter speed (creates more motion blur, can't "freeze" the image as well). Mind you though that the shutter speed is not what freezes the image, it's the flash that does that (when you're shooting mtb in the woods that is).

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 18, 2008, 9:03 p.m.

If you know as little about photography as you say a D90 could be overkill. Look at the D80 or even a D60. look at the 18-70 zoom as a starter lens as it is the best of the kit lenses in terms of image quality. Older auofocus lenses don't autofocus with the D60, but it is $469 at Broadway Cameras. Then spend your money on lenses as this is where the rubber mets the road. Look at used lenses. Make sure you have at least one spare card and at least one spare battery as you can't shoot if your battery is dead.

Nov. 18, 2008, 9:42 p.m.

check out wheelsandwax.com

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Nov. 19, 2008, 1:08 p.m.

If your only looking to buy a dSLR to improve the quality of your pictures, don't even bother. However, if you want to get into photography, it's muchly worth it. I'm currently using a D80 w/18-135mm lens, and I love it. I recently bought it to replace my D40 and it was really worth it. Anywho, the D90 seems like an extremely nice camera, however the whole d-movie things gets me skeptical. Anyone else have the same thoughts? I'm sure its fine but an SLR with movie mode.. Who knows. If you were to decide a D90, I would wait a while seeing as it's a newer model and some problems may arise while you own one. Just wait a bit and let them fix any knots if there are any. 1500 is alot for a camera so keep looking around just incase. I would highly suggest a Nikon though.

You can have kids, but like stocks, some fail big time.

Nov. 19, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

I disagree on a one point here, once you learn how to use the basics on a DSLR you will get better photos. Two reasons, depth of field, makes far better portraits easy, and second, the faster speed means fewer missed photo ops. I knew very little when I got my 40D, but the photos were obviously better almost right away.

Even with a hack like me, the DSLR will take a better photo everytime.

Nov. 19, 2008, 1:38 p.m.

I have a tendency to make posts which come out sounding like self-ridicule.

I should explain more. I can take fairly nice shots. Composition and colours and whatnot. Problem is, with my point n shoot (which just self destructed) I had trouble juggling different settings in a timely fashion, and while it took great day shots, night shots without a tripod were impossible unless I bumped up the iso which created lots of noise very quickly. I loved that camera and will be replacing it with the same model, but I found my needs in a camera moved passed what that point n shoot offered for anything other than a quick outing.

Against the great advice of Midas:

UHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I purchased a new Rebel Xsi for dirt cheap. I was going to grab a new/old stock 30d but ended up getting a deal on an xsi kit through a friend at a camera shop that I couldn't pass up. I could use it for 6 months, resell it and profit by a couple hundred if I wanted.

I'm going to play around with the kit lense probably for the rest of this year until I can decide what other lenses I might need, although I'm probably leaning towards a 50mm f1.8 and also a fisheye lense, and possibly a superzoom for when I'm out at mission raceway.

Edit: P.S. Yes I am getting into photography. I even picked up a "Better Photography" 2 dvd set from london drugs for free. So far the first 30 minutes of it have been trying to sell me shit from london drugs.

One of these is not like the others.

Nov. 19, 2008, 6:53 p.m.

EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS is what you want for your new body…

Nov. 20, 2008, 1:19 a.m.

March 6, 2009, 2:38 p.m.

Just bought a new Canon 30D from Lens and Shutter for $700 new
(check their website just a few left)
also got a 18-50 2.8 Sigma EX digital lens

Oh and I did try a D90 out but the movie feature was not what I was after - kind of gimmick to me - it was a good camera but a lot of money…

Now if I can just get out and shoot something…

Wish me luck!

slowly slowly catchy monkey

March 6, 2009, 3:31 p.m.

Just bought a new Canon 30D from Lens and Shutter for $700 new
(check their website just a few left)
also got a 18-50 2.8 Sigma EX digital lens

Oh and I did try a D90 out but the movie feature was not what I was after - kind of gimmick to me - it was a good camera but a lot of money…

Now if I can just get out and shoot something…

Wish me luck!

Psssssht, the 30d has waaaay less chickapixels than the XSI and a sweet warranty….. sucker.

March 9, 2009, 2:46 p.m.

Just to say something.

Besides other factors, I think for sports photography an SLR is always going to be superior than a point and shoot.

First of all, you get near instant shutter release.

Second, a lot of Canon and now Nikon SLRs come with CMOS imaging, which allows for faster photography with less light and less noise.

March 9, 2009, 4:40 p.m.

Just to say something.

Besides other factors, I think for sports photography an SLR is always going to be superior than a point and shoot.

First of all, you get near instant shutter release.

Second, a lot of Canon and now Nikon SLRs come with CMOS imaging, which allows for faster photography with less light and less noise.

Sweet! good info, thanks bro!