Why Do Mountain Bike Films Do So Bad?

Aug. 17, 2007, 3:47 p.m.

Like I said before, those two did good compared to the others. I don't consider those numbers great.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they say they sell more then they do to try to get more sponsor money; it's very common. Even with those numbers, they are not comming close to breaking even with their original budget.

You need to understand that each deal is structured differently. Also, you can't assume that video sales are overstated. All a sponsor has to do is contact the distributors to find out what sales are like, its really not worth it to make shit up because everybody knows what everybody else sells anyways. I can personally tell you what video sales look like across the board…and other producers could happily do the same.

NWD might sell 30,000 units and get an average of $5 per unit. Thats $150,000. The total cost to produce the film, promote it and premiere it are upwards of $200,000. However, Freeride doesn't produce the NWD series to sustain it's business. They handle commercial media production for Red Bull and a host of other clients…those lucrative contracts support a full time staff and full salaries. The NWD film itself is a marketing tool and a way to keep Freeride relevant in the space.

The Collective/Roam might sell 30-40 thousand units each. Depending on their distribution and retail price they will see $4-8 per unit sold. Thats roughly 200K in gross revenue. They have a budget from sponsors that pays for the bulk of the production etc…

I could go on for days about the intricacies of each producer and how they turn MTB videos into a real business. Suffice to say that it doesn't sound like this business is a good fit for you.

CHECK OUT MY BLOG.
Eastern Front

Aug. 17, 2007, 3:55 p.m.

While it's not fully qualified, this comment about ROAM appears in the Globe and Mail. I wouldn't say it was a failure in real life, like some posters have mentioned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060807.wroam08/BNStory/Entertainment/home

"But they should, because one of this summer's most well-received films, by two Vancouver-area filmmakers, exists almost entirely outside cinema society and within the mountain-bike community."

Aug. 17, 2007, 4:14 p.m.

Seeing new faces would be refreshing too.

Short online team videos are something I enjoy also.

Marty's Mountain Cycle

Aug. 17, 2007, 8:27 p.m.

market is to small, when viewed compared to any other type of "film" that sells millions of copies..

not sure MTB films will ever be truely mass-marketable..

P.S. on a side note i actually agree with Timmigrants post.. now that is a rare day indeed…:woot:

Aug. 17, 2007, 8:57 p.m.

Didn't Ride To The Hills sell a poop load of copies? 90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the people I've rode with own a copy, or have at least seen it.

http://www.finalgear.com