Upgrade lenses or buy new camera? [nbr]

April 22, 2008, 3:59 a.m.

I hope this is in the right forum - if not I'll gladly repost elsewhere.

I've had a Powershot A640 for about a year now. Great camera that shoot good quality images. But I'm getting to a point where I want to start experimenting with lenses and filters - shooting more landscapes and architecture. Canon makes a wide angle and teleconverter lens for this model, but other than that the options are limited.

All told these lenses and the converter would run about $500. Is it worth it to add lenses to this camera or should I be looking at saving up for an SLR?

My apologies again if this is the wrong forum.

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

April 22, 2008, 5:25 a.m.

the camera you have is a great little camera, but at the same time I see no point in spending 500 on converters for it. I would save up and buy a slr and slowly add glass. It can be expensive but if you shop right you can buy stuff and sell it years down the road for very little or no loss if you decide. at a 500 dollar budget I would be looking at a d50, with like a 50 1.8 and maybe some flash cards. great little camera for the price and that would keep in within your price range. Look at craigslist, buysell.com and fredmiranda for deals. and photo.net

any questions shoot me a pm and more than happy to answer them for you.

Builder of Little Bastard

April 22, 2008, 9:07 a.m.

I agree. the pentax k100d should be quite cheep now that the 200's are out.

very well priced cameras, and ability to run any pentax mount lens from all the way back to the 70's (so finding a cheap decent lens will be no problem)

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

April 22, 2008, 9:22 a.m.

ya if you look at like d50s or a d70 you can get it for really cheap and just add lenses as you go
gets you a great camera for not a ton of scrill

brokezors

April 22, 2008, 1:35 p.m.

This d50 is cheap. Am I missing something here?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-NIKON-D50-Digital-camera-Kit-with-6-1-megapixels-W0QQAdIdZ46450819

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus