TR - Taseko to Tyax Aug 14

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Hey,

Thought I might do a quick write up on a recent trip I did with the girlfriend and friends August 14th to 18th. I work around Gold bridge and ride out there quite a bit but had never done a float plane drop so I figured that I would organize something more on the ambitious side of things to make the most out of the plane. I did a little research on-line but only found this old trip report from lee lau in 2006 http://www.leelau.net/2006/taseko0706/tasekolorna280706/tasekolorna.htm

I got some more detailed info from the main builder around Gun lake and talked over routes with him. While our first day was a slog the subsequent days were pretty chill and as he said it's not really about putting in miles out there but more about the scenery.

As far as maps go I mostly used an app (pdf maps) which you can use geo-referenced maps in to locate yourself. There's really good topo maps through the geobc site that are completely free. But I also had paper maps as back ups.

On to the trip:

We got to Tyax friday night to meet up (my buddy drove down from smithers) and repack/reorganize).

We had some super bad weather roll in on the friday but packed up the plane anyways to see if we could get out

Clouds over the coast range looking towards the bridge glacier

We were finally able to land at Taseko after one failed landing attempt (due to whitecaps on the lake)

We set up camp in and old mining shack (to cut down on the brutal wind/wildlife protection) and chilled for the friday night with beers and pizza.

I didn't sleep all that well that night as I was leading the group and was pretty worried about the rain and the creek crossings. After riding mining roads for about 7km our first creek crossing wasn't all too bad (Powell creek). Shown below is the second (battlement creek)

Me: "So what way do most people take biking out from Taseko lake?"
Pilot (Jamie): "Most people don't fly to Taseko lake"
We of course immediately ran into another creek of 5 guys from Squamish dropped off on the Saturday morning.

Lunch spot heading up Battlement Creek

Heading up Battlement creek looking back towards Taseko

The mining road up battlement creek ends at about 1800m (if i remember correctly) and then you have to hike for about 3km through the alpine with your bike.

Crossing Battlement creek in the alpine.

Approaching Iron pass

We couldn't resist the August turns either

There were some bails

and some amazing views

We were riding (read bushwacking with bikes) down Grant creek when my girlfriend exclaims "Horses!" I got a chill when I see a mother and 2 cubs barrelling down the hill towards us away from yet another mother and 2 cubs. We waited them out and the first group went down into the group while the 2nd kept their distance up the hill. We quickly snuck between the 2 groups as they didn't seem too concerned.

Happily down grant creek (right) and out of the bushwacking/grizzly adventure

Grant creek

Lorna was the camp for the night

Then over lorna pass

Down Tyaughton creek

Up to Deer pass

Gratuitous alpine manual shot

Down Deer pass!!!

To our camp at Trigger lake

We then cruised down to spruce lake for a chill half day

Then up windy pass the next morning

Windy pass

Looking back at Windy

Cruising up Pearson trail to camel pass

Camel pass

Pushing up ridge-o-rama

Descending

One of many alpine snack breaks

And the final descent down Cinnabar to Tyax!

Wet feet for 4 days don't do so well….

Big thanks to the Bridge Valley trail society and Tyax for constantly clearing the trails since there's so much dead pine in the area. Such a small crew and vast area (including Gun lake and Bralorne trails). Trail forks makes it really easy to donate through their website and BRVTA gets all the money directly!

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

great write up and pics! thanks for sharing.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 2, 2015, 9:52 a.m.

Well that's just something I really want to do now. Thanks for the details.

Sept. 2, 2015, 1:27 p.m.

bennett you're such a boss!

Dec. 24, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Finally got around to editing the footage:

https://vimeo.com/149940513

Dec. 24, 2015, 2:10 p.m.

That was a delight. Might be the best Chilcotins footage I've seen. Thanks, my stoke quotient needed a boost!

Dec. 24, 2015, 2:18 p.m.

That was a delight. Might be the best Chilcotins footage I've seen. Thanks, my stoke quotient needed a boost!

Thanks, it's pretty nuts watching the footage and being able to appreciate the views you only see in your peripheral.

Dec. 25, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

i think i missed this thread when you started it - what happend to the pics?

sounds like a proper epic :beer:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 25, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

the music doesn't work for me, but the rest sure did. what an epic trip you had. wow.

Dec. 26, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

i think i missed this thread when you started it - what happend to the pics?

sounds like a proper epic :beer:

Not too sure. A bunch of the photos were linked through Facebook so I guess they expired