The Bottom of Crinkum Crankum

Sept. 24, 2010, 2:29 p.m.

I've only ridden the trail once - wondering where the line is?

Thanks!

Pic 4 in orginal post shows this line (the new version) it is now the small ladder in the bottom left corner.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Sept. 24, 2010, 3:21 p.m.

Great photos. Looks like Mr. Summers in one of them.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Sept. 24, 2010, 3:25 p.m.

I thought I recognized the red blurrrr.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Sept. 24, 2010, 6:57 p.m.

nice!

word is the district fixed those ladder bridges.

Tis true. I saw the district fixing the ladders around mid August

Sept. 27, 2010, 1:41 p.m.

Ya, I thought the Leopard sign there is odd since there is no trail called Leopard and Crinkum Crankum starts from there.

Spelling inconsistency aside, that sign must indicate that the trail is labeled a two-way "XC" trail - though I would consider riding up an unnecessary punishment.

Great photos. Looks like Mr. Summers in one of them.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2424866]I thought I recognized the red blurrrr.[/QUOTE]
More like a white [URL="[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4853840985_6e17b39b16_z.jpg"]blurrr/URL]…

flickr

Sept. 27, 2010, 2:08 p.m.

i'm not seeing it as super necesary that they label it (Leppard) an exit, all the trails have a sign at the bottom as well as the top, granted the in and out of Leppard are a little closer than others. If someone has a map, they know it is after pipeline and the entrance is not on the the 5th switch back. no map, well it is a hike (power ride) up, which should make you wonder, like the bottom of upper oilcan, any one thinking that is a beginning of the trail…

Sept. 27, 2010, 2:44 p.m.

Spelling inconsistency aside, that sign must indicate that the trail is labeled a two-way "XC" trail - though I would consider riding up an unnecessary punishment.

you can try climbing up leppard… apparently crinkum crankum was originally built as a climb.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 27, 2010, 3:05 p.m.

Nice work! Crinkum has always been a pleasure rip and now its even better!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 27, 2010, 3:10 p.m.

With the number of times I've cleared spider webs with my face on Leppard, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who rides it!

flickr

Sept. 27, 2010, 5:36 p.m.

with the smoothed-out entrance to Crinkum at the 5th, a climb up to and across Leppard is a lot more cleanable now than it was before

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 27, 2010, 5:52 p.m.

This was the night run with Lester. Start at the fifth after work for a quick rip during the week.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Sept. 27, 2010, 7:21 p.m.

Great pics!

with the smoothed-out entrance to Crinkum at the 5th, a climb up to and across Leppard is a lot more cleanable now than it was before

The entrance is technically at the 3rd switchback (though, I don't think that most people hike up that mound of rocks) or at the bottom of Kickford.

/hair splitting

Sept. 27, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

With the number of times I've cleared spider webs with my face on Leppard, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who rides it!

yes!! Leppard-[HTML_REMOVED]Crinkum-[HTML_REMOVED]Kirkford-[HTML_REMOVED]Cedar-[HTML_REMOVED]Upper/Lower Griffen (please forgive any failure to order them correctly) is one of my absolute favorites, but i so rarely see anybody riding it, and I always get spider webs in my face.

And now for some nostalgia:
Leppard all the way down to Griffen was the first shore ride i ever did. I'd never really tried mountain biking and I was riding a Trek 4100 hardtail, that I thought was just the sweetest bike, at the time. Needless to say, I got my ass handed to me very early on. Recognizing my heavily declining morale, my buddy Ian let me ride his BigHit, and that was all it took. A week later, I bought a burly norco hardtail, and I've been an addict ever since. It's been a long time now, since I had any difficulty with that whole line, but every time I ride it, I just feel sooooo good, looking back on myself as a beginner.

well, I think I've decided what I'm riding tomorrow…

There's no place like fromme

Sept. 27, 2010, 10:31 p.m.

Great re-work of a stunt that badly needed it. It's good to see they kept the log in the middle to preserve the feel.

The ramp down was never an issue, but maybe a few more people will ride it thanks to the increased width.

Sept. 28, 2010, 11:26 p.m.

I'll have to give it a try.

The entrance is technically at the 3rd switchback (though, I don't think that most people hike up that mound of rocks) or at the bottom of Kickford.

/hair splitting

We already split that hair; the NSMBA map has Crinkum and Kirkford mixed up.

yes!! Leppard-[HTML_REMOVED]Crinkum-[HTML_REMOVED]Kirkford-[HTML_REMOVED]Cedar-[HTML_REMOVED]Upper/Lower Griffen (please forgive any failure to order them correctly) is one of my absolute favorites, but i so rarely see anybody riding it, and I always get spider webs in my face.

And now for some nostalgia:
Leppard all the way down to Griffen was the first shore ride i ever did. I'd never really tried mountain biking and I was riding a Trek 4100 hardtail, that I thought was just the sweetest bike, at the time. Needless to say, I got my ass handed to me very early on. Recognizing my heavily declining morale, my buddy Ian let me ride his BigHit, and that was all it took. A week later, I bought a burly norco hardtail, and I've been an addict ever since. It's been a long time now, since I had any difficulty with that whole line, but every time I ride it, I just feel sooooo good, looking back on myself as a beginner.

well, I think I've decided what I'm riding tomorrow…

Oddly enough, it was my first shore ride as well. I swear I walked half the trail. I stayed on a hardtail too, but changed pretty much everything else. How was your ride? The last few times I've popped up to Bobsled then NH to finish.

Great re-work of a stunt that badly needed it. It's good to see they kept the log in the middle to preserve the feel.

The ramp down was never an issue, but maybe a few more people will ride it thanks to the increased width.

Everyone I ride with is doing that log now, it's a really great re-work.

flickr