Surgery following crashes

May 18, 2017, 2:49 p.m.

I had knee surgery on Tuesday. Motivated by Kid Rock in this short video, I've documented the bike crashes, the surgery, and my recovery plan. Enjoy!

(https://vimeo.com/217958632)

May 18, 2017, 4:26 p.m.

That was weird. Good job on it. Bye

May 19, 2017, 2:41 p.m.

What is considered weird is relative. I can sit and watch MTB edits on the front page of sites all day and I feel that they are all carbon copies of one another, this is weird for me. The purpose in making this video was to highlight injuries from the sport, most riders can relate to this.  My goal was to motivate and entertain the viewer while he is recovering from his current injury or remembers a past injury.  Thanks for taking the time to watch my video.

May 19, 2017, 10:39 p.m.

Is the video an advertisement for some fitness place?

May 20, 2017, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: thebikingbuddha

What is considered weird is relative. I can sit and watch MTB edits on the front page of sites all day and I feel that they are all carbon copies of one another, this is weird for me. The purpose in making this video was to highlight injuries from the sport, most riders can relate to this.  My goal was to motivate and entertain the viewer while he is recovering from his current injury or remembers a past injury.  Thanks for taking the time to watch my video.

Your vids are definitely entertaining, kind of like Monty Python-esque, if you know what I mean. I like them. 

Did not want to watch that one though.

May 21, 2017, 1:16 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: thebikingbuddha

What is considered weird is relative. I can sit and watch MTB edits on the front page of sites all day and I feel that they are all carbon copies of one another, this is weird for me. The purpose in making this video was to highlight injuries from the sport, most riders can relate to this. My goal was to motivate and entertain the viewer while he is recovering from his current injury or remembers a past injury. Thanks for taking the time to watch my video.

Your vids are definitely entertaining, kind of like Monty Python-esque, if you know what I mean. I like them.

Did not want to watch that one though.

I appreciate your feedback and the honesty in your response. I believe that my videos aren't for everyone and nor do I want them to be, there is plenty out there for the masses. Thanks for taking the time to watch and have a safe summer riding season.

Last edited by: thebikingbuddha on May 21, 2017, 1:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 23, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

The same to you!

May 31, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Is the video an advertisement for some fitness place?

The point of my video was to focus on recovery while offering a gesture of respect to Kid Rock.

Thanks for your reply and your feedback after viewing, I've now re-edited the video to focus more on recovery. I am lucky in that I have a good relationship with both my orthopaedic surgeon and physiotherapist. I've worked closely with them and I've included their tips on what I need to be focusing on apart from fitness. Along with this, I've shortened the fitness segment to 30 seconds in my edit.

Recovery can be a big setback mentally for any rider, I ultimately wish that my video motivates the injured viewer to remain mentally strong minded during this difficult time.

(https://vimeo.com/217958632)

Last edited by: thebikingbuddha on May 31, 2017, 11:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2017, 11:35 a.m.

As someone who is also recovering from a crash and off the bike, I can understand why you made this.

You're bored as hell! You miss riding! You're looking for stuff, anything, to do! May as well make a video!

We should have a thread stickied where people unload on their crash and recovery.

Me: ladder drop crash resulted in separated shoulder, separated ribs, badly torn hamsting, left leg nerve damage (temporary), sprained wrists/hands, destroyed helmet but no head or neck injury. Worst part is that for the first two weeks after, my ribs were disclocating dozens of times a day and would not go back into place by themselves. I had to manipulate them back by extending my back and pushing them back in with my hands. Awesome. One time I had the hiccups and they dislocated repeatedly just from the hiccups for a couple minutes. Id put them back in between each 'cup because at that time it was super painful when they were out - it doesn't hurt anymore but its gross! Itll be 4weeks this weekend that I'm off the bike.

June 2, 2017, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

As someone who is also recovering from a crash and off the bike, I can understand why you made this.

You're bored as hell! You miss riding! You're looking for stuff, anything, to do! May as well make a video!

We should have a thread stickied where people unload on their crash and recovery.

Me: ladder drop crash resulted in separated shoulder, separated ribs, badly torn hamsting, left leg nerve damage (temporary), sprained wrists/hands, destroyed helmet but no head or neck injury. Worst part is that for the first two weeks after, my ribs were disclocating dozens of times a day and would not go back into place by themselves. I had to manipulate them back by extending my back and pushing them back in with my hands. Awesome. One time I had the hiccups and they dislocated repeatedly just from the hiccups for a couple minutes. Id put them back in between each 'cup because at that time it was super painful when they were out - it doesn't hurt anymore but its gross! Itll be 4weeks this weekend that I'm off the bike.

Brutal. I crashed hard at similar time (6 weeks ago). Overshot a jump on a trail I'm building (it had packed in since I'd hit it before) and landed next to my gf and friend. From how they saw me land they decided to call SAR. I'm in a brace for 10 weeks total with a burst fracture to t6. Guess I've just got to count myself super lucky though as I didn't need surgery and don't have any spinal cord damage.

June 2, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

JESUS! You're the unlucky winner so far!

Thankfully they 1) were with you, and 2) realized they should call SAR.

Heal-up and take your time. May want to consider a neck brace when you're launching from now on given how close that one was.

June 2, 2017, 3:30 p.m.

Yeah I've thought about it a bunch. Don't think a neck brace would have helped as t6 is mid spine (scorpion crash) though I will probably invest in a detachable full face for pedaling. At least I now know the first bridge I built can hold a wheelbarrow + 7 people.

Last edited by: cbennett on June 2, 2017, 3:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Math
June 2, 2017, 5:07 p.m.

Free wheelbarrow rides!

For what it's worth, I never ride without a full face anymore. I don't see a reason. These new helmets are so light and well ventilated I barely even notice that it's not a reg lid when I'm climbing BLT or up PL/GSM. I started these light "ff's" with a Super 2R, cracked that chinguard, got a new Fox Proframe, completely destroyed that, and now my replacement Proframe is just sitting in the bike room waiting for its turn at the carnage!

Crashes happen in the weirdest of situations. Better to have that chin guard on all the time.

Last edited by: Ddean on June 2, 2017, 5:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.