Sun Valley/Stanley point and shoot

July 30, 2009, 7:43 p.m.

Since I'm done my school year and practicum in Castlegar and our house is still rented in Calgary, my wife and I are homeless and jobless. So what better reason to take the inlaw's van and go bike.

Our trip has included Nelson, New Denver, Kananaskis, Whitefish, Stanley and Sun Valley so far. These are just pics of Stanley and Sun Valley. I'm too lazy to put these in order but they include Warm Springs, Adam's Gulch and Redfish Lake.

Stanley seemed like a really cool place, and more tech trails. Sun Valley has awesome trails but Ketchum/SV seems full of rich dipshits in luxury SUVs.

July 30, 2009, 9:52 p.m.

Hey, i'm from whitefish….Did you get a chance to ride Spencer Lake or the Reid Divide Trail while you were in town. And the funny thing is, i am actually in Ketchum riding for the weekend. Just rode the Fisher Creek Loop today, just south of Stanley and was amazed with the single track and incredible scenery. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

http://www.skullcandy.com

July 31, 2009, 7:31 a.m.

i just was in stanley on wednesday- such a nice break from the "rich dipshits.'

warm springs, adam's loop, fisher creek?

those trails are great, but there's much more to be had both up in stanley and down here.

406- if you need beta, stop by the bike shop across from sun valley lodge and ask for julian any time this weekend.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

July 31, 2009, 12:20 p.m.

thanks for the info menehune. Unfortunately, I think I am leaving tomorrow to go ride some stuff in the Boise area and hopefully check out the Eagle bike park.

http://www.skullcandy.com

July 31, 2009, 1:03 p.m.

^ what did you ride?

did you check out our lift-accessed bike paths?

what bike were you on?

give me a shout if you're ever in town again- we're working to expand the lift-accessed trails by next year…

July 31, 2009, 6:53 p.m.

Stanley seemed like a really cool place, and more tech trails. Sun Valley has awesome trails but Ketchum/SV seems full of rich dipshits in luxury SUVs.

hahahaha - so true. Love this place

Aug. 2, 2009, 4:56 p.m.

Hey, i'm from whitefish….Did you get a chance to ride Spencer Lake or the Reid Divide Trail while you were in town. And the funny thing is, i am actually in Ketchum riding for the weekend. Just rode the Fisher Creek Loop today, just south of Stanley and was amazed with the single track and incredible scenery. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

(sorry we just got internet)

yeah there is so much more in all the places were are going/went, but this trip is also a trip across to Ontario to visit my parents, so we just are picking the easy to get to ones, and the easily signed trails (and lift access if possible). In Whitefish, we just hit the hill. I had a blast on that new jump trail (forget the name). We aren't really with a plan. Basically I google mtbr and see what is quick to get to.

We just did a quick rip in Rapid City, South Dakota in the black hills which was awesome as well. I'm sure there is better stuff, but right off the I-90 was a bonus.

Cheers

Aug. 2, 2009, 5:04 p.m.

i just was in stanley on wednesday- such a nice break from the "rich dipshits.'

warm springs, adam's loop, fisher creek?

those trails are great, but there's much more to be had both up in stanley and down here.

I thought all trails were awesome - the redfish lake one was fun, and I also did Cold springs up and down later in the night. It was a blast bombing down the hill. It was a good intro for me…I bought both maps for the area, so next time I'll have a better plan for the good stuff.

The other thing I thought was funny about the town was all the bikes being ridden around - it was awesome. But the thing that struck me as odd was there weren't too many high end ones…like people were driving land rovers with 20 year old specialized bikes on the back. Anyways, it was fun

Cheers

Aug. 21, 2009, 8:48 p.m.

In the middle of September if you had 7 days of riding in the Ketchum or Stanley area what are the must ride trails?

From other peoples lists I have the following so far.

• Fox Peak - Adams Gulch
  • Fisher Creek
  • Pioneer Cabin to Johnstone Creek, Long Gulch
  • Corral Creek
  • South Fork of Warm Springs
  • Bald Mountain ski lift trails Cold Springs and Warm Springs
  • Redfish Lake Loop
  • Red Warrior Creek
  • Lodgepole Gulch
  • Wolftone Creek to Kinsey Creek
  • Kinsey Creek to Curran Gulch
  • Howards Trail to Mars ridge

We plan to get the map from the bike shop when we get there to get more details.

Aug. 22, 2009, 7:10 a.m.

Fox Peak - Adams Gulch :great ride. contact [email protected] for a shuttle. the road to this trail may be gated by this time, however.

Fisher Creek if you don't get off on this ride, you are not a mtn biker

Pioneer Cabin to Johnstone Creek, Long Gulch read lee's review . pio -[HTML_REMOVED] johnstone -[HTML_REMOVED] bear -[HTML_REMOVED] parker is the epic

Corral Creek **girlfriend ride, but a great singletrack crack hit

South Fork of Warm Springs there are no fewer than 1.2 million "warm springs" trails in idaho. if you're talking about bulltrout lake to bonneville hot springs, read lee's review along with the reviews on mtbr.com. after talking to a couple people this past week, i'd only ride this trail if it's had some recent rain by then**.

Bald Mountain ski lift trails Cold Springs and Warm Springs **lift closed by the time you're here. ride up cold springs, down warm springs

Redfish Lake Loop big ride if done in it's entiritey, take the boat back after riding the south side for a jurassic park-type adventure (this cuts the ride in half)

Red Warrior Creek blown out by motos last i heard

Lodgepole Gulch see above

Wolftone Creek to Kinsey Creek haven't done it

Kinsey Creek to Curran Gulchhaven't done it

Howards Trail to Mars ridgehaven't done it**

Talk to the boys at Sturtos (4th and Main downtown 208-726-4512) for info on the last three you mentioned.

Contact Mountain Fairy to see about doing the "Big Smokey" epic, along with what shuttles they'll be offering this September.

No nature boy riding clothes- it'll be the start of hunting season and safety orange is in high fashion for the fall.

There are two maps- one for stanley, and one for down here.

$10 each, available at all shops in town.

Aug. 23, 2009, 6:45 p.m.

guinness- so thorough! Well done on the homework.

There are trail maps with trail names also available at the Visitor Ctr in town - well worth it to stop by. The topo maps you can get Sun Valley/Ketchum have the trails marked but don't always give the names - instead referring to the trails by numbers