Roam- My honest take

June 7, 2006, 10:12 p.m.

". Gnar." best quote of the whole review. Very good review though,I agreed with basically everything you said.

June 7, 2006, 10:26 p.m.

re: bitch-hops; i didnt even notice, i guess ill have to go watch that section again.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

June 7, 2006, 10:43 p.m.

I want to say i agree with every point that slang says.
I ended up turning it off before the last segment cus i felt it was rerpeating it self and getting boring.
and honestly
im sick of ryan leech.
He does the same thing over and over again and i just dont like his style. I know they need big names or w.e to sell i guess. w/e there reason id otn really care. i just would rather see a different street rider or trials rider.
and the soundtrack was anoying and boring after a while.

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=%22frm+productions%22&so=0&start=0

June 7, 2006, 10:47 p.m.

I ATUCLY think it was the best moive out so far. way better then all the nwds cranked sucks. i like bits 2 it was good. rfyl1 and 2 are sick. but ROAM is the best so far best filming best angles best riders ect

F TFJC

June 7, 2006, 11:03 p.m.

you guys think way to much when watching bike movies, bottom line is it was sweet. obviously the cinematography was over done, its exatcly wut i expected, and obviously its like a national geographic, if anything its less like that than the collective and more about the biking. ryans part isnt that bad but i dont really want to watch street riding anyways, it always kills the flow of the movie, not that i dislike street there just going to slow and i get bored and it came right after to sweet segements and slowes down the whole movie for me. but im deffinatly not complaining and im gonna watch it lots more times for sure

June 7, 2006, 11:07 p.m.

now only if people cared…. lol its a film to show riding. Its no block buster. They arent memorizing lines. They ride bikes give em some slack.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

June 7, 2006, 11:09 p.m.

That is the worst reasoning I have ever heard. You put the bails in the crash section, that is where they belong. I pay for a movie to see people landing tricks. It really bugs me when dabs or cases are included in a movie that you paid 30+ bucks for, they are professionals and should at least care enough to do the trick again and land it. I have the same beef with indian givers in rollbacks. JUST RESHOOT IT!

Dude, ballriding something counts more than if you pull it, okay?

June 7, 2006, 11:15 p.m.

Dude, ballriding something counts more than if you pull it, okay?

Well duhh, and landing to the toptube is even better. Dabs and indian givers are a no no though. Unless you are Karl Engstrom, then you can only do indian givers because you ride to 3 inches of blood.

Ya, I sig my own quotes.

www.gnarwhale.com

June 8, 2006, 1:39 a.m.

holy shit dave. You write like way too much. Get a life. Oh yea come ride richmodn tommorow :heart:

MSN me at: [email protected]
www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

June 8, 2006, 2:01 a.m.

i agree with pretty much all of what Slang said, but it didnt have as much of an effect on my overall opinion of the movie. Music? meh, repetative? yes. Riding? awesome, but like slang said, not a whole lot to shock us, and of course the list goes on.

But i still somehow felt it was pretty close to being on par with The Collective.

The Collective reigns suprime for sure though. :)

thinkin bout bikes

June 8, 2006, 2:26 a.m.

Went up the lift with Darren on Saturday, his new paint job is sick, Mike Jones commented him on his seggie, and Darren said that he had finished the step up wall ride line 2 weeks before he shot his part….in January….he agreed that ROAM was a little rushed, barely done before the premier, etc. But remember guys these movies are about riding bikes the way we do and showcasing it to people who may not have seen mountainbiking before, both the Collective and Roam are not just ment for mtbers, but everyone else as well. Darren was also saying that the filmers were "asking" him to do something gnarly but he remembered what the real deal is with these films…..a sweet 9 minute conversation…..and the Whistler segment is the best movie part that involved the bike park EVER, that's what its all about up here, tearing it up as fast as you can and the cat and mouse game, nothing like it……

mtbskierdad

June 8, 2006, 3:37 a.m.

does anything make you HAPPY????

Big up all the JUNGLISTS in the place! BO!

June 8, 2006, 4:41 a.m.

The thing I realise about these movies is that there's no one film that makes everybody happy. Some people love the Earthed films, some don't. Some people think NWD is killer with big stunts and great editing, others just see it as a huck-fest. Collective won a stack of awards but some found it boring.

I think a lot of what we like/dislike aobut bike films comes from how much we see of the kind of riding we like to (would like to) do in a film. Music is also key. There are few things as personal as music taste.

I have to say that, for me, I love this film. It's not without flaws - Peat's section never gets off the ground (dissapointing coz I'm a huge Peaty fan), and I'll skip Leech's section and the DJ's as well every time. It could also do with two more segments to fill it out.

however, there is some gold in this film. The Claw segment kicks, Rennie pinning it at Whistler, Wade's manuals on the slick rock, Vanderham's sweet whips (the coolest moves ever) and the whole interior segment.

I also loved the music - I admit hardly a huge leap from the Collective with many bands including Slackstring, Rise above and Phontaine making another appearance.

I'll be watching this one a lot.

:aussie:

I'm broken - not just cracked around the
edges.

June 8, 2006, 6:58 a.m.

The rush on ROAM is really obvious in the menus. Those are seriously budget. I already posted my thoughts on another ROAM thread, so I won't subject you all twice.

June 8, 2006, 7:36 a.m.

hmm, seems to be mixed feelings on this. i found the movie a little boring personally, too much time spent not riding, and too short. there was some exciting riding, but this film seemed to be done with the intent of making it look artistic rather than showcasing amazing riding. dont get me wrong, most of the riding was rad, but it didnt seem to be the focus. my sisters, who dont ride, said the same thing. NWD 6 was far better.