Roam- My honest take

June 8, 2006, 9:28 p.m.

I did this for NWD6, so I figured I might as well write another honest, comprehensive view for the anticipated Roam. This review is not designed to cause controversy, nor is it politically influenced. It is just what I feel about the movie and my thoughts on the different segments.

If you find it too long, just skip to the end for the conclusion.

Sections-

Intro- Very collective esque. Lots of discovery channel scenery, and an incredibly cheesy "there is no destination" line.

Claw/Shore- Segment starts with Darren building a ladder, it's rather nice how they tied that in to the shot of him riding it. Recognize the music from a snowboarding movie. Nice shot of Darren brutally casing an easy step-up, I have no clue why that shot is in the movie. I'm pretty sure if Darren can 3 a road gap he can do a 4 foot step up with ease. This theme of "why the hell didn't they just reshoot that" will be a reoccurring them in the movie, and subsequently, in this review. The segment does well at showing what an amazing rider Darren is. Some of the lines are very sketchy and tight, and he manages to trick most of them with a lot of style, take for example, his three off a ladder to tight landing with an imposing tree a foot away from the landing. Many guys would be sketched out just riding it. There were complaints that Darren did nothing new in this segment, and it is rather true. This man is something that helps to sell a movie, and although the segment showed off the incredible talent and techincal abilities of Darren, it is always good to have a memorable banger to keep the groms happy. Also, the segment felt quite rushed, which is a pity, because, as I said, Darren's name on a cover helps sell the movie. A lot. The makers should've recognized this and given him a lot more justice.

Whistler- I don't know why everyone is so in love with this segment. I guess it's because much of it is 2 riders riding in tandem down a-line. Probably brings out the "yah bro let's shred a-line together and slam a beer at the GLC later" feeling. Gnar. The segment does well at showing off the speed of the riders, which is good. A lot of the shooting is very fancy, and at times, over-fancy. After a while it gets annoying. Much more helmet cam footage would've helped, especially to bring out the true speed that these guys are travelling at.

Ryan Leech- HUGE deja-vu of a discovery channel travelling program. Then all of a sudden there is Ryan Leech hitting some rather tech lines. I have to say, it's not terribly impressive. Some of his lines are creative, especially the one of him riding the high-consequence gate, but other than that, a lot of them are quite silly. Take for example Ryan's manual on flat ground, that ended nowhere, after which he hopped up a curb. The producers tried spicing up the section with some post-production trickery, but it didn't really add much to the section. Might I also note, Ryan has started bitch hopping again. What happened to the manifesto? It was one of the things that made his riding a lot more enjoyable to watch. Compared to this section, I'd rather see British guys like Neil Tunnicliffe ride in boring places filmed with an amateur handy-cam. The riding should speak for itself.

Moab (pronounced MOH-AB, as I have learnt)- Song is very collective-esque and good feeling. Thank god, something uplifting finally. Every clip is pretty much a long sweeping drawn out shot. Once again, I feel like I'm watching a discovery channel travel program that for some reason has a rider riding in the background ruining the otherwise picturesque shot. Wade Simmons does an incredibly impressive line. The ledge is about a metre wide with a few hundred feet on his right. Very nice. Jordie does an absolutely massive gap, elevating the overall riding in the segment and acting as a memorable banger. Overall, the segment is pretty good. The most feel-good one so far.

Lunn's backyard- There is something about watching dirt jumping (or any type of riding, but especially dj) without the riding sounds, it irks the crap out of me. It's so unnatural. The song doesn't really match the riding that well either. What follows is a lot of decently good riding, what one would expect from the likes of mccaul, lunn, and kasprick. Good style and big trick.s. Unfortunately, nothing we haven't already seen before. Tons of cable cam footage, most of it unneccesary. There is this one particular shot that stands out to me about this segment, cam Mccaul's no-can tailwhip. It's played in very slow slow motion and is very zoomed in, does well to show off Cam's impressive style, but there is one problem. HE DOESN'T LAND IT. His pedal lands up in HIS SHIN. What are the editors doing putting an unlanded shot into a movie, ZOOMED IN and in SUPER SLOW MOTION?! Either reshoot or don't use the shot at all, DON'T BUTCHER THE RIDER'S REPUTATION LIKE THAT!!!

Peat/Shandro- Lots of fast footage, lots of footage without riding sounds. Overall the segment is nicely shot and has good music, but it doesn't really do much for me. Maybe because everything is shot in too fancy a style. This is a place that I will never be able to ride, and I also will never be able to ride that fast. The helmet cam footage stood out to me because it put me in the place of the rider and made me feel like I was going as fast as him. The last bits of footage pick up the steam where the beginning left off and help improve the section though. Overall, it's nice to see peaty hit some fast singletrack, but frankly, I would've rather watched him kill it in some good race footage.

Morocco- Discovery channel intro. Again. Honestly, if I didn't tell you this was a biking film, you would think you're watching a National Geographic special about Morocco. Then it cuts into music that sounds a lot like the song we just heard in the last section. Thankfully, the riding is pretty good. Vanderham does indeed do some of the best moto-whips on a mountain bike. I think he should just do them off everything in his Crankworx runs, they honestly are very relaxed and clicked. Hunter hits a very big road gap. It's freaking massive. He also does some very stylish tables, especially for someone on a big bike. I love one of the last shots, with the helmet cam footage of Hunter throwing a very nice table. Overall one of the better sections in the movie: Riding is good, footage is not over-fancy, and the music somewhat suits the riding.

Interior- Cheesy intro. Quite a turn off. Holy sweeping shots! Cable cam footage! There is so much of it, it's getting pretty ridiculous. Then all of a sudden we get a rogue simple shot of a bunch of guys hitting tables, not sweeping, just camera on a tripod watching some guys hit jumps. There needs to be much more of this simplicity in the movie. Again, Hunter hits a very big road gap. Bails hard, goes back up and does it again. An impressive hit and a nice insight into what the riders go through.

Interior2 (it's a long segment)- Music gives me deja-vu from Collective. Some of the booters are incredibly big and a lot of fun to watch, it's nice to see the snowboard influence creeping into mountain biking. More helmet cam footage would've helped. More riding sounds would've helped. Less slow motion would've helped. Hunter does another ridiculously huge gap. This kid is so much fun to watch, he goes so big.

Conclusion-

Soundtrack- Uninspired. It gets the job done most of the time, but it basically copies the collective formula in a half assed manner. It's a pity the producers didn't spend more time on this because it would've helped the movie a lot more. Also, more riding sounds. We are all riders, the movie is made for riders (or is it?), why aren't there more riding sounds?

Cinematography- Two words: Over done. It almost seemed like the producers looked at the budget and went "OK, how many times can we rent this equipment and use it in every occasion possible." A lot of the times the sweeping/dolly/cablecam footage was entirely unnecessary and did nothing to better the movie. The collective filming formula worked, why did they ruin it with Roam?

Bonus features- A lot of commercials, which is fine. The sponsors paid for the movie after all. The riding-related stuff is quite bad. The crash/air/singletrack sections are short and quite boring, nothing like the entertaining riding bonus sections in the Collective. The first part of Sterling Lorence's slideshow has about 15 biking photos and a lot of misc. travel photos. His biking photos are absolutely amazing as usual, but the rest of the first section is pretty boring. It's a pity because the first few minutes, having so few biking shots, makes me not want to watch the rest of the slideshow, but the shots in the 2nd part of the slideshow get a lot lot more biking oriented and far better. Make no mistake about it, there is a good reason why Sterling Lorence is one of the best biking phtographers out there. Some of this stuff is bloody amazing. I'd rather watch the 2nd part of the slideshow over some of the segments in the movie.

Riding- The rider list is good, and so is the riding, but there was almost nothing new. For example, Ryan did the same stuff as he's done before, but in a more exotic location. There is also a ton of filler footage, only helping to detract the sections. Despite the movie demonstrating the abilities of the riders, it's always good to see something new, something memorable. It's amazing how just one trick can elevate a movie and make it more talked about, the producers should really note this. PS: There was a short clip of Darren doing a 3 whip in the trailer and I was pretty stoked to see it. It wasn't anywhere in the movie. Where did I find it? In the crash section. And I had to go to the bonus features to even find the crash. That's an incredibly cheap move on the producer's part, especially in a movie made for riders in such a small market. PPS: The producers have developed an affection for including horribly unlanded shots, like Cam Mccaul's nocan tailwhip. Reshoot it or don't include it. By publishing stuff like this, all you do is butcher the rider's reputation.

Overall- I have respect for everyone involved in Roam. Filming all over the world is incredibly hard, and bikers are difficult to work with (they are damned lazy and never get stuff done). However, the producers decided they'd take the Collective and expand on it to make Roam. In probably half the time with twice the budget. The end result is not really a biking movie, but a movie about biking. The footage is purdy and the riding is quite good, but I walk away from the screen with a feeling of emptiness. There's nothing that grabs my attention, nothing that makes me remember the movie or want to talk about i with my friends. It doesn't even really get me inspired to ride. The Collective got me pretty stoked to ride, and I watched it quite a few times. The producers put a lot less passion into the sequel, and unfortunately it does show quite obviously. Instead of making a movie with good footage, good riding, and a good soundtrack, they've made a "could be a lot better" movie that doesn't know whether it wants to be a national geographic special or a biking movie. The narration tops everything off by giving a pseudo-phiosophical feel to the movie, a cheap way to give it an all-encompasing theme. Rent it to show your parents or something, but $35 is a lot of money to spend on a movie you're only gonna enjoy once. I could've bought a new tyre with that money, and I enjoy new tyres a lot more than I enjoyed Roam.

-David

ENNNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!!!! All wrong! Try again!

June 8, 2006, 9:32 p.m.

Hey Dewd

for everyone who knows david lang. do you ever notice he says Dewd instead of Dude….like it's like Deeeeeeewwwwwd….instead of dOOd

MSN me at: [email protected]
www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

June 8, 2006, 9:33 p.m.

So this review made me interested and I went and watched the movie. I enjoyed the colours and the textures that were brought to the screen. Even though those same shots of the bark on the trees in Jordie Lunn's backyard made me feel like I was hiding in the bushes like some kind of bike pervert. I noticed the "ballriding" simply because I was looking for it. I do feel that the rider could have practised until he got it right. It's a movie after all, they can do as many takes as they want, why not do it right? I don't know. It wasn't a traditional crash shot either. The music was fine IMO, but nothing to scream about. I find hip hop a little odd in videos, since mtb is like ski/snowboard, we're all white (or almost all) but we do like to represent. Nothing wrong with riding whistler while listening to Straight Outta Compton, it's just funny. I do like the talking, reminded me of a French ski flick I saw called La Nuit de la Glisse, only not quite as well done. Yes, Warren Miller has his own style, and it's aimed at middle aged folks, but this was different. (of course I'm a middle aged folk, so…..) I have to admit that I didn't watch the whole movie, I like to be doing something else while the movie plays so that if I ever watch it again, there'll be new things to see. But these are my general impressions.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

June 8, 2006, 10 p.m.

Hey Dewd

for everyone who knows david lang. do you ever notice he says Dewd instead of Dude….like it's like Deeeeeeewwwwwd….instead of dOOd

Its that funny "mutt" accent of his. David Lang had sex with a chicken, you heard it here first.

www.stuartkennedy.ca
www.gnarwhale.com

June 8, 2006, 11:26 p.m.

instead of spending 2 hours writing an essay mostly bashing a movie that you will never be in, why dont you put your fucking helmet on and ride. people like you need to get a life, get a bike, and you must be riding pretty sick tires at 35 bucks eh! you have no idea the time and effort that went into this movie. Steve Romaniuk is one of my best friends and i didnt see him or hear from him from weeks on end because he was filming and working his ass off to make a good section. so like i said, go ride you little bitch.

June 8, 2006, 11:52 p.m.

instead of spending 2 hours writing an essay mostly bashing a movie that you will never be in, why dont you put your fucking helmet on and ride. people like you need to get a life, get a bike, and you must be riding pretty sick tires at 35 bucks eh! you have no idea the time and effort that went into this movie. Steve Romaniuk is one of my best friends and i didnt see him or hear from him from weeks on end because he was filming and working his ass off to make a good section. so like i said, go ride you little bitch.

Yea he doesn't have a chance of being in it…..It has already been released, and he wasn't in it. Funny how that works. Ebert and Roper give critiques on lots of movies they '' have no chance of being in ", why don't you go write them an email telling them to practice their acting and stop being such little bitches.

Personally, I have not seen the movie, but I read Daves take on it, and I feel all his complaints are legitimate, as those kinds of things bug me when I see them in movies, but i constantly see them recurring. Maybe the makers these movies need to hear this kind of stuff so that they stop making the same mistakes.

Just because you don't notice people not landing tricks in the movie, doesnt mean that the movie wouldnt be better if they ACTUALLY DID land them.

Ya, I sig my own quotes.

www.gnarwhale.com

June 9, 2006, 12:03 a.m.

Wow, settle down people. slang is simply expressing his opinion:

It is just what I feel about the movie and my thoughts on the different segments.

If you disagree with it, that's fine. But don't go attacking him personally because that's seriously weak sauce.

f e r g s :canada:

June 9, 2006, 12:38 a.m.

best part of the movie was Vanderham's whips…… good movie overall but not great imo. As with NWD, too much slo-mo.

:canada:

June 9, 2006, 7:29 a.m.

Way To Ruin It!

ride more, post less.

June 9, 2006, 11:59 a.m.

i wouldnt ever spend time writing a review, probably because i hate the english languge and tend to murder it. Really no one cares about the review. I agree with you on some aspects tho, it does sometimes look like something on discovery channel and is a bit geeking but all there trying to do is give people not in the mountain bike or in it a good idea off all aspects of it. Also i cant believe you called all them cable cam lines in Jordies yard section pointless? with out those cables that section would suck.

WWW.BICYCLEROCKERS.COM

June 9, 2006, 8:03 p.m.

jsut a question..
but why didnt anyone hit the jumps in the middle of jordies yard..
the big gappers..i never saw anyone hit them

there is a couple shots from behind of the 2nd one its just hard to tell

June 9, 2006, 8:50 p.m.

Some random remarks to some of the postings read.

Overdone filming? I think what these cable cams are doing is allowing us to watch "ourselves" (as a bike rider) from a different perspective. Think of your favorite XBOX NFL game. The cables allow for looong clips. Other films have 2 quick seconds of a clip causing the film to be choppy. Innovation takes some time to become realized.

Riding not so hot? Trials riding all looks the damn same to me. Hop on a bar, ride it flanging your knees from side to side, then doing a 180 off. The big stuff is cool, I guess. What grabs my attention is the little things. A quick for instance, Bear chasing his bro off a drop. He had to slam his rear brake, slid and aligned himself to just slap the shit out of the berm. If that were me, I would of jumped the damn berm for the lack of getting in line. I like how the collective group show lots of ST. Its the essence of riding.

Music? Its original. Lunns backyard, if you absorb anything from that segment, make it Bear. He has so much flow that he is in sync with the high hat (ofcourse intended but amazing). Morooco tunes were right on. Live drumming (intro) to a perfect complementing track.

We have to keep in mind this is a journal type film (think Endless Summer) opposed to a rock on, death grip, balls to the wall riding flick. This film has substance folks. I wish I was one of them guys hanging from the rover headed to an unknown epic spot. The biker isn't everything. Its the anticipation of heading somewhere to ride something new. I just read in Dirt how they said when they were in Morocco that they would hear the chants from the worship temple. That is fucken epic. That is ROAMing.

June 12, 2006, 1:11 a.m.

As it is said in the intro: "To roam is to search for something new….the journey can be more important than the destination. in biking there is no destination"….this is what the movie is about. If you shred a place like prague, wouldn't you be interested in the place apart from riding? I wonder…

theneed is right, and many others as well - the riding is in the focus here. not the attitude or image like in other past productions. I love it - it is even good for teaching kids what to look for in their riding.

….and the look on the face of matt hunter after his big crash (i.e. three months later) is just class…scared to death, but having the balls to pull it off again.

More of that….please. Just about the epic feeling you can get out of riding. And defenders are cool….

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 13, 2006, 12:28 a.m.

whoa, seems like I'm hated.

anyway, to the guys who agreed, disagreed, or a little bit of both, thanks for sharing your opinions. it's always interesting to listen to everyones different views on something.

as to me having "no life," I wrote that on the ferry on my way from Vancouver to Victoria when I had nothing to do. I've just spent the past week helping to build and shoot lines for my friends' parts in an upcoming mountain biking movie production. why, what have you done this week? it'd be nice if the haters stopped assuming.

and to the guy who told me to go back to watching bmx vids, i watch anything. i've been watching a lot of snowboarding, skiing, mtn. biking, bmx, and even skating vids lately. i guess having a broad range makes my opinions and critiques less valid? good logic.

davidlang.me |

June 13, 2006, 12:59 a.m.

slang, nice one - that with watching other vids as well..keeps you honest (production wise, since you know what the others are doing) and :woot: on "broadening your horizon". It seems as if a lot of folks were in need of changing the perspective.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer