Recommended camera settings please

Dec. 20, 2011, 4:40 p.m.

Auto?

Best bet is to pick up a book and find out how the different settings change the result. Better yet take a class.

That said, for shooting in the woods I'd probably default to Aperture priority and run lowest f-stop my lens permits. Set white balance on shade/cloud (I don't shoot raw so I try to get wb right, and will usually err on the warmer side). Run lowest ISO possible to get desired shutter speed, although you will have to bump it up (1000+) if you want to freeze a moving subject in low light, even with a fast lens.

If none of that made sense, return to the top of this post.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:19 p.m.

Auto?

Best bet is to pick up a book and find out how the different settings change the result. Better yet take a class.

That said, for shooting in the woods I'd probably default to Aperture priority and run lowest f-stop my lens permits. Set white balance on shade/cloud (I don't shoot raw so I try to get wb right, and will usually err on the warmer side). Run lowest ISO possible to get desired shutter speed, although you will have to bump it up (1000+) if you want to freeze a moving subject in low light, even with a fast lens.

If none of that made sense, return to the top of this post.

I've been out once to shoot my buddies. I had the shutter speed up to 1000 and the f-stop as low as my kit lens would allow (f3.5), but to get pictures with enough light in them I had to crank the ISO to 6400 which let a lot of noise. I've since bought a 50mm f1.8 that I'm wanting to get out and try. I'm also planning on buying a flash or 2 as well.

Here's the only decent things I got that day, with the help of some post processing of course. Sorry, I can't seem to figure how to post the images directly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72530025@N03/6547483083/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72530025@N03/6547481433/

Dec. 20, 2011, 11:03 p.m.

Looks like you're on the right track. I'd suggest mastering what you've got before you go too crazy with gear. The 1.8 lens is good for letting in more light, but you end up having to get really far away from your subject (less so with your full frame sensor than a crop sensor). And, the narrow depth of field of the 1.8 can result in focusing on the wrong part of your scene.

I generally feel like anything faster than 1/80 or 1/100 is enough to get a sharp shot in the woods—and I'll take a shutter as slow as 1/40 if it's really socked in. There's no way my camera would do 1/1000 on anything but a sunny day, and I don't really like shooting above 1600 ISO as a rule (again, your 7D will deal with noise at high ISO better than my T1i, and for both Lightroom 3's noise reduction feature is great).

Another thing, regarding your 18-135 kit lens. The aperture will only be wide open (3.5) at 18mm. Any zooming and you will effectively be closing the hole, and slowing your shutter speed to get the same exposure.

flickr