Ransom - 95% done

April 25, 2008, 2:08 p.m.

i'm running atlas cranks on my handsom 30 and love 'em.

good choice on that rear fender as the equalizer is one finicky mofo with the pos and neg pistons all but next to the tire.

decided against going for a 888 ATA on the front end but may add a boxxer ride once money starts flowing in again.

in the meantime i have a rp23 air can on the way from fox.

will post up with weight soon (i think i might save over a half a pound over the equalizer)…

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

April 25, 2008, 7:12 p.m.

good choice on that rear fender as the equalizer is one finicky mofo with the pos and neg pistons all but next to the tire.

decided against going for a 888 ATA on the front end but may add a boxxer ride once money starts flowing in again.

will post up with weight soon (i think i might save over a half a pound over the equalizer)…

i would think that a triple crown would be a little mismatched for a ransom. As in a little big, no? Do u know if that would void the warrenty?

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

April 25, 2008, 10:17 p.m.

Ooo goodie, another Ransom owner :)

Mmmm I felt the same about the fender. And honestly, I like the personal touch it adds.

I also was about thinking of getting a DC fork. Found a new Ride -06 at really good price, but it didn[HTML_REMOVED]#180;t seem right. It weighs a ton and i dont need the trouble with finding the right spring. I don[HTML_REMOVED]#180;t know, maybe it would feels super lowered a bit. If the totem doesnt work out for me, I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;ll be looking at the new 66 ata, if prices go down.

I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;m very interested to hear about you[HTML_REMOVED]#180;re upcoming shock change. Are you positive it will work? I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;ve heard that the ransom uses a weird ratio…

I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;d really like to try a roco air or something on mine, but I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;m quite happy with how the Eq shock handled DH/FR. Ran it with less pressure than recomended, like 30-40[HTML_REMOVED]#37; sag, and it felt bottomless. A bit sluggish perhaps.

Found a pic on pinkbike of a ransom 30 with a coil shock on it, think it was a fox rc or something. He used it for bike park, and put the Eq back on for AM riding.

Got any pics of your bike?

Edit:

Weighed it again on a different scale more suited for the task. i got a bit heavier but still much lighter than i[HTML_REMOVED]#180;d hoped. I[HTML_REMOVED]#180;ll add the picture when I get a chance.

34.61 lb or approx 15.7 kg

April 26, 2008, 4:02 p.m.

found the pic on pinkbike, looks pretty good.

http://i5.pinkbike.com/photo/1129/pbpic1129799.jpg

April 26, 2008, 9:51 p.m.

On your Dewlie, did you have to make any mods for your crank arm to not contact the 2 bolts on the upper guide.

I set up my Dewlie last night w/ Saint canks, and the bolt hits my arm, and it's not close, about 5mm….

April 27, 2008, 12:22 a.m.

No problem there, had som trouble with the iscg bolt scraping the 24t ringbolts… used an extra bb-spacer to solve it. The hone cranks arent as beefy :/

April 27, 2008, 8:45 a.m.

so here's the scoop.

dual crown does not void warranty.

the boxxer ride is not much heavier than the 36 van i have now, and the axle-crown is very close at the ride's full travel.

as for a coil shock, i'd be interested to talk to the guy.

i live in the town where scott is based, and in my conversations with the bike dept guys, a coil shock simply will not work due to the shock stroke (you would need to run around a 1200lb spring to keep it from feeling like a sagging ridiculous amounts).

the air can should work at a much lower air pressure than the equalizer.

as for the equalizer, i tend to run mine about 15psi below reccomended.

will send an update here in a couple weeks when my shock comes in.

April 27, 2008, 5:29 p.m.

Very interesting projekt indeed!

regarding dc fork; the totem is said to be as tall as a dc (isn[HTML_REMOVED]#180;t it?) and it works pretty good. trouble climping sometimes if i dont lock out the rear. and if the ride is as low and light as you say, it sounds as the best fork. personally i like the feel of an air fork. the 66 ata is said to be a bit more plush though.

rear shock; i heard something similar from my local scott dealer. i[HTML_REMOVED]#180;ll be bike park punishing my eq. shock for 7 days in june. scott has a service center there so if it brakes i should be able to borrow a gambler or something :)

April 28, 2008, 4:50 p.m.

i'm not sure on the ride's weight, but i'm pretty sure it is about 6.9lbs.

i found this build over on pinkbike, claimed weight of 32lbs.

if only it was aluminum; what a waste…

April 29, 2008, 12:51 p.m.

Thats a pretty sick bike. The carbon choice doesnt make any practical sence agreed, but it makes for a more bling build :P Looks pretty crazy.

Have you messured the I-to-I on the eq shock, what does one need to know…? Im not the least bit keen on buying a new shock.. not at all. Nonono… A 66 ata and a roco air is not the least bit interesting.

April 29, 2008, 1:08 p.m.

i have the eye-eye written down at my shop.

i'll be in tomorrow and will either PM you or bump this thread with the facts in the next day or so.

May 22, 2008, 1:50 p.m.

Just got my new brakes!

Aug. 28, 2008, 2:56 a.m.

Hello from Australia, I too am a newly converted Ransom owner.
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=137648

WHere can I get a rear fender like that? or is it a custom job?

Aug. 28, 2008, 11:51 a.m.

you actually paid for the mud flap thing?

Aug. 28, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

LOL you bought one of those fenders??

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back