Potential For Serious Damage

Oct. 10, 2015, 11:27 a.m.

I remember having seen that one before, and it still gives me the creeps. Really, if I want to scare myself and my riding buddies and put our stuff into perspective, I just let them watch Digger's first two, well, three, movies.

After that no one ever complains about how hard and technically challenging a few roots, rocks and steep-ish line are.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 11, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

Those photos bring back some real memories for me. Now most know where and why Knolly bikes came from.

Riding the trails that are pictured on the bikes you see is a real feat (I know) since the suspension was nice but nothing like what we have now. I remember when Marzocchi came out with the Z1 (which was 4" travel) and that was considered a DH fork. It was a big deal and I remember well getting my first Z1 which was actually the Mr T. (a triple crown version that was 5"). Don't underestimate the skill, body english and commitment needed for such riding. You had to commit to every stunt 100% since the bike being a bit more "simple" was less forgiving.

I look at my bike today and clearly it has progressed from what I had to what I have and this riding style definitely groomed it.

I do miss those days, though, when going up to do Pink Starfish was a big deal and there was a group at the trailhead. Doing the rockface 3/4 of the way down on those bikes on V brakes was a real experience.

Oct. 12, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

The worst crash I've ever had was on my vps 3 trying to ride down the root line on wild cherry about 40' in from the entrance. I had no business even trying that and even to this day I still look at that line and shake my head.

Sidebar about that bike. It was one of a kind because I acquired it while working at Norco at the time. The frame (VPS4, silver with red maple leaf head tube paint scheme) had a cable housing holder welded on backwards from the factory. I asked my boss if I could buy that one and build it up as a VPS3. I rebadged it with the black VPS3 decals and made it my own. I got a rad deal on it and was stoked. That was my first dually and It totally opened up riding for me. I miss those days.

Oct. 13, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

The worst crash I've ever had was on my vps 3 trying to ride down the root line on wild cherry about 40' in from the entrance. I had no business even trying that and even to this day I still look at that line and shake my head.

Sidebar about that bike. It was one of a kind because I acquired it while working at Norco at the time. The frame (VPS4, silver with red maple leaf head tube paint scheme) had a cable housing holder welded on backwards from the factory. I asked my boss if I could buy that one and build it up as a VPS3. I rebadged it with the black VPS3 decals and made it my own. I got a rad deal on it and was stoked. That was my first dually and It totally opened up riding for me. I miss those days.

Old pic I took on Cherry Bomb on a winter ride. All of us did this roll but Thad was the only one to wait for the pic

Billy aka the Krazy Karpentar on one of the suicide rolls on Wild Cherry

More here

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/album/Old-School-is-the-Best-School/?page=3

Oct. 14, 2015, 10:29 p.m.

ran into Bill on Red last year I think , had not seen him in years .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 15, 2015, 2:15 p.m.

More here

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/album/Old-School-is-the-Best-School/?page=3

That's an awesome set of photos! Not quite as old school, but I have a bunch of video clips from 2000 taken at the woodlot. I don't know who made them; I saved them off of here or MTBR, can't remember which. Lee is in some of them including this one:

Oct. 15, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

That's an awesome set of photos! Not quite as old school, but I have a bunch of video clips from 2000 taken at the woodlot. I don't know who made them; I saved them off of here or MTBR, can't remember which. Lee is in some of them including this one:

Wow - that was Jamie Blogg launching. I rolled it. I think that's Sharon and Ken Neave there. Billy's off to the right. Yah that was 2000 on the Gate

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:07 p.m.

Not The Gate. That was on Woodlot Gold. I remember seeing those clips and recognizing some were taken on Crazy Carpenter, but others we on a new trail so I had to go exploring; turned out to be gold, woodlot gold. Good times…

Oct. 16, 2015, 8:39 a.m.

what bike is Jamie riding ?? when we road around that era he was on Santa Cruz,s , prior to that he rode a Schwinn

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 16, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

what bike is Jamie riding ?? when we road around that era he was on Santa Cruz,s , prior to that he rode a Schwinn

I think a Turner then a hardtail also? Got some old pics will look it up Bloggie style

Oct. 16, 2015, 9:22 a.m.

I think a Turner then a hardtail also? Got some old pics will look it up Bloggie style

hmm i know Chris Gullet rode Turners ,

it may have been a Haro , Jamie had one of those as well for a short time . last bike i remember him on at the Woodlot was the blue SUPER 8 . and then later on he rode Norco,s when he starting dealing with Troy after Floyd sold High Gear

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 16, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

Ah OK. That Turner was Grumpy Gs. I'll dig up the old pics and bid. Pizza you're right of course. That was Woodlot Gold RIP

Oct. 16, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

parts of woodlot gold are operational the bridge across the gully was rebuilt and there is fresh stuff as well past that , we rode it last year , that being said it may be in the new cut block that is going in up there . we hiked in through the old stuff and found a recut path Porkchop did alot of the work amazing stuff .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 16, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

Moab Portal trail in the hail! Scary

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."