Photography Project - Need Constructive Criticism

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:10 p.m.

I took a picture of these with my digital camera, so I am leaving them big so you are able to see the details. I need a negative scanner, but I have enough trouble paying for the class as it is, so the is a sorry ahead of time. Let me know what you think.

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:12 p.m.

they are kind of depressing pics

but they are pretty neat

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:22 p.m.

Originally posted by The RiPPer
they are kind of depressing pics

Good, that is what I was shooting for. The theme is "lonliness" and I guess you could also say "sadness/depression." I can't really think of a way to describe it, I just normally say "that feeling."

Thanks

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:31 p.m.

I really like those shots :)
I'm guessing it was the camera that gave them the orangish hue.
It's definately within the "loneliness" category, that looks like a good collection of shots, I especially like the 1st and 8th ones. I'm not in a position to be giving you advice, but the third shot is a little unclear, I can tell its a window of a run down house, but at first glance it wasn't immediately apparent.

Beauty is in the eye of the rider.

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:32 p.m.

looks good….yea kinda depressing

MSN me at: [email protected]
www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:38 p.m.

yea, the third one is kind of confusing. It is easier to tell what is going on if you have it in front of you, but it is still alittle complex and makes you think to figure out what you are looking at, which is another thing I try to do sometimes in my photos. It is looking through a doorway into the bathroom and through a window in the bathroom of an abandoned house. You can see part of the bathtub (all white) and then the tree through the window just kind of contrasts against everything else. Thanks for the comments, everything helps.

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:40 p.m.

what kind of camera?

www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:41 p.m.

Most of those are quite nice, especially #'s 1, 3 [HTML_REMOVED] 4. But I personally think shooting headstones is kinda tacky (even though your composition is quite good).

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:48 p.m.

Originally posted by Wayne Parsons
Most of those are quite nice, especially #'s 1, 3 [HTML_REMOVED] 4. But I personally think shooting headstones is kinda tacky (even though your composition is quite good).

I understand what your saying about it being tacky. But I just wanted some pictures that seemed rather simple compared to some of the others, but ones that still grabbed your attention, if you read some of the headstones it certainly makes you think.

All photos were shot with a Pentax ZX-M except for the graveyard shots, they were shot with a Minolta Maxxum HTsi. I think the third photo might have been shot with a Canon Rebel S. Out of all my cameras, I like my Pentax best. I don't really know why. I bought it from a friend who owned a pawn shop for $25. It is beat to hell, but it still works great. There is absolutely nothing special about it, but I just always seem to end up shooting with it.

Dec. 10, 2004, 8:54 p.m.

so you would prefer film to digital?

www.bigringbikes.cjb.net
www.cyberetrothreads.com

Dec. 10, 2004, 9:06 p.m.

yea, I do, I guess it jsut really isn't my style. Digital is fun to mess around with and all, but I just never really feel good about any of the digital stuff I do. I am sure I will start messing with digital more and get to where I like it better, but right now I like film.

Here is a few of my digital images though. I used some crappy Cannon from my mom's work, a Powershot s45 I think it is:

Dec. 10, 2004, 9:40 p.m.

As long as you got some good glass, nothing else matters a whole lot.

For the headstones, my take on shooting them is "art student" (not you, just in general). It seems like a shot that would land you in the Emily Carr school of art fags. Jokes. ;)

Dec. 10, 2004, 9:58 p.m.

Originally posted by Wayne Parsons
**As long as you got some good glass, nothing else matters a whole lot.

For the headstones, my take on shooting them is "art student" (not you, just in general). It seems like a shot that would land you in the Emily Carr school of art fags. Jokes. ;) **

haha, true true.

Dec. 10, 2004, 10:54 p.m.

That bike is sweet. :)

Dec. 10, 2004, 11:46 p.m.

Is this a photo story? Are all of these going to be shown as a collective piece? Ironically, I just got done with a photo story in my photo journalism class:D Anyways, you have got some really great shots. Having three shots of the headstones seems repetitive to me. If I were to choose one, I would choose the middle one, just cause it portrays emptiness with the lone headstone, although, the lighting on the first one is a bit better. The second headstone is a bit dark. My only other criticism is for the last picture, which seems not quite tack sharp. Maybe you are trying to focus on something I'm not seeing, but it seems to me the focus should be on the swing. Other than that, it looks like a killer picture package. Thanks for sharing!