Paul Bas Rampage injury.

Oct. 20, 2015, 11:34 p.m.

Just curious…(let's use Canadians as an example). If a Canadian goes down to the USA, does any insurance they take out up here cover this type of event? This isn't a race. If it was a traditional bike race (road, mtb) one could take coverage down, as a CBC member, and additional 'professional athlete' insurance. I was in emerg and overnight twice years ago in Oregon. Never an issue with insurance, I didn't have anything special. But I was part of a race sanctioned by USA Cycling. Fully covered, didn't have to run to the border.

Are dudes going down to this with 'athlete insurance' thinking that they are covered, maybe only to find out that they aren't covered when it's too late?

Have to get travel insurance for my move to australia, there's specific section in mine from BCAA that states bicycle competition instead of just race. They have a secondary insurance for competitions.

Oct. 21, 2015, 7:25 a.m.

I just gotta ask who the hell drinks Redbull anyway? The stuff tastes like shit… I am sure the Redbull athletes feels like turds standing on the podium holding a can of that blasphemy.

i'm amazed they can sell enough of that stuff to do what they do. apparently they've spent over $1.2 billion (!) on their f1 team alone. people are dumb.

In Europe it is literally everwhere. As in: every supermanrket, convenience store, even some diy stores, most gas stations, the train stations, everywhere. Really. And people buy it and drink it, lots of it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 21, 2015, 8:39 a.m.

I think they sell a lot in bars and in Surrey.

:canada:

Oct. 21, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

your thinking about redbull the wrong way. redbull is a production house, the drink is a side business.

http://www.redbullmediahouse.com/

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 21, 2015, 1:27 p.m.

A) Redbull or anyone else could never get insurance in the US for they type of event. No insurer in NA would ever cover it.
B) More body armour isn't going to prevent any of these injuries that have already happened. Although I wear a neck brace when racing, the jury is still out on them.
C) IF this event was insured - think of the limitations of it would have and how frustrated the riders would be.
D) The super humans that do this event NEED to do this. They need to push each other and see how far they will go. It's in their blood and rules aren't going to change that. I was glad to see many of them realize they didn't need a second run and McGarry didn't need to do something better than what he did in previous years.
E) The judging was obviously based on balls-out, on-the-edge riding - not technical mastery. Maybe this needs to change?
D) REdbull and others need to step up to the plate a hell of a lot more financially though. A crowdfunder for Paul is bullshit.
E) you fall on a run - that run is over. That's it.

It's hard to blame organizers on pushing the limits and insurance, when just a few feet of difference and Paul would have been on the podium. I was gutted when i first saw and heard about him, as he's a great and very humble guy. I thought, "Shut Rampage down!" and many other things but the reality is, these guys do this. Steve Romaniuk wrote a rant on his Facebook that shows things from an athlete's point of view. Check it out.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Oct. 21, 2015, 1:53 p.m.

One rider who is not shy about not being into Rampage and choosing not to ride is Sam Pilgrim. Cam Zink hypes it all year, gets butthurt over his score and now is all critical? Part of the reason I get stoked to watch the event is because of how the riders get all excited for it.

Oct. 21, 2015, 1:58 p.m.

The bottom line is that there needs to be more safety guidelines in place. Yes the riders are choosing to be there, but they're competitive animals and will stop at nothing to win. Years ago F1 made it mandatory to run grooved tires and added chicanes to slow the cars down, Red Bull just needs to figure out what the 'grooved tire' is for Rampage before someone dies.

Oct. 21, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

Red Bull just needs to figure out what the 'grooved tire' is for Rampage before someone dies.

Hardtails for everyone.

Oct. 21, 2015, 3:52 p.m.

Dumbing down rampage!!!!

Oct. 21, 2015, 3:59 p.m.

A) Redbull or anyone else could never get insurance in the US for they type of event. No insurer in NA would ever cover it.

I read somewhere (can't remember where so take it with a pinch of salt) from someone who worked in underwriting that the best thing to do in this scenario is for Red Bull to put aside a fund to cover hospital bills. The field here is pretty small (42 or something) and the injury rate is pretty high (I think 4 or 5 guys went to hospital, so around 10%) add in the cost of the US medical system and insurance just isn't worth it for the underwriter. When you look at it like that, it essentially becomes cash for injuries. It starts to look pretty dark.

Sept. 17, 2016, 3:35 p.m.

The bigger you go the worse the consequences.
Hope he has a good recovery!

superheros
I like bikes