Old guys who still ride (and do other demanding stuff)

Jan. 18, 2021, 11:53 p.m.

Posted by: Ned

Another 50+km loop before work this morning to mark MLK day in 'Merka. C'mon old dogs, hop on your bikes and get after it, you can lie on the couch and lick yourself afterwards

Today was boarding in the morning and trail building in the afternoon. I think that gives me a pass on the no bike action.

Jan. 19, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

Mmmmm muy bueno, been a long time since I've been up there.

Riding a bike isn't the only way to go about it, it's a much bigger picture than that.  So, changed thread title accordingly.

Jan. 19, 2021, 11:48 a.m.

Had a fun brain scrub ride in the mud yesterday, not too keen on the gravelbike at the moment. Feels as if I burnt out last year. But....my daily dose of yoga and movement drills are running smoothly at the moment, same goes for training with weights. I let Strava really screw with my head last year. So a part of this year's project is to make riding fun again. Sounds as if I have already posted stuff like that. My bad....what makes one old again?

Jan. 20, 2021, 11:39 a.m.

Mud does that to you, it's the best mind clearer there is.  The puritan pavement rides are good and mind numbing and all but end of the day, it's not unlike watching paint dry.  I've knocked out a couple pure pavement loops in the last week and while they're great for caloric incineration and reaching a state of Ommmmm, I can hear my ride psyche begging for more variety in surface, route locale and elevation.   Motorcycle scale bicycle dual sport is THE answer, at least for me.

PS, Strava is a tool in the same way money is a tool.   It can consume you and take you down some dark pathways... just use it for what it is and decouple from the racer-boi misnomer it represents and keep it in the background simply as something useful

70km pre-work road loop this AM down to the big sh!tty and back.  Slept in, was only the 36th carcass over the 520 bridge bike/ped lane this morning.

Jan. 20, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: Stuminator

Take a tape measure & extend it out to 82 inches, which is the average lifespan of a Canadian male. Put your finger on your current age. Look at all the time that has passed & what time you have left. 

A good motivator to get going on the f/sus to Wideangle parts swap I'm doing so I can go freaking ride!

66, but, retired so I now got an extra 40~hrs a wk to get after it.

Congrats on retirement! I rode the bus back and forth across the entire North Shore daily for years in my youth, which would have been middle age for you, we may have spent hours together lol. I remember we always had transfer folding contests with the drivers.

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:59 p.m.

lol..that was before my time. Was probably in the spray booth at Rocky then.

Jan. 22, 2021, 4:34 a.m.

Mud does that to you, it's the best mind clearer there is.  The puritan pavement rides are good and mind numbing and all but end of the day, it's not unlike watching paint dry.  I've knocked out a couple pure pavement loops in the last week and while they're great for caloric incineration and reaching a state of Ommmmm, I can hear my ride psyche begging for more variety in surface, route locale and elevation.   Motorcycle scale bicycle dual sport is THE answer, at least for me.

PS, Strava is a tool in the same way money is a tool.   It can consume you and take you down some dark pathways... just use it for what it is and decouple from the racer-boi misnomer it represents and keep it in the background simply as something useful

70km pre-work road loop this AM down to the big sh!tty and back.  Slept in, was only the 36th carcass over the 520 bridge bike/ped lane this morning.

Maybe I am going to go on a road ride on the weekend, maybe not. Definitely time for some trail surfing. That is so nice with the new bike. I m in love.... I am definitely learning to no longer be consumed by trying to ride as much as possible. Two days ago I spent my evening working on my as of yet non-existing manual skills, and enjoying a break in the rain and sleet of the last weeks. Being outside and having a blast, that is what it is all about. A break from the normal routine and crazy times life does throw at you after passing a certain age.

Jan. 22, 2021, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

Takes a saint to drive bus, particularly with some of the customer base.

Knocked out a few good ones this week, about 250km worth. This morning's 80+km stretchy pants loop of the city (with mtb shorts) was top qual.

Always loved those shaped Colnago frame tubes.

Pure secks as some would say, this bike is known as Bad Grandpa. I had a steel one with similar shaped tubes painted with their map of the world scheme that made one's eyes bug out when looking at it... that is, if it's your thing. The carbon tubing on this model was apparently mfg'd quietly by Giant and shipped back to Italy for assembly and paint so they could apply the made in Italy sticker on it. LOL, such mystique.

This one is 17 years old, ordered in 2004 from the factory in Italy by original owner who waited for it for 6mo and shelled out a princely sum of ~$7500US to take it home when it arrived.... where it sat barely ridden that whole time of ownership... and eventually got flushed to CL where it again sat for 5mo while I patiently waited for the price to come down. I'm still in awe how this all happened.

It gets pulled out on special occasions when I'm feeling like a bike perv. Ya, old guys who ride and type too much.

Last edited by: Ned on Jan. 22, 2021, 7:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 26, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

Couple days post covid jab #2, somehow convinced myself that I wasn't feeling like shite and that climbing a rock chunder road up 2200ft in 3 miles on a pinner gravel bike into the snow with relatively bald tires was a good idea.  Yep, I've made better decisions...  but at least old guy is still moving.  Gold Bar WA, not a lot unlike S2S territory, just more guns and Trump signs

Sept. 15, 2021, 12:35 p.m.

Big picture is big.... still breathing, still riding, Hollywood WA. You?

Last edited by: Ned on Sept. 15, 2021, 12:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 15, 2021, 1:14 p.m.

I've recently changed up my workout routine to training all body parts every day. This includes variations on all the big lifts. My 4 main lifts will have high intensity and low volume 1 day per week and all others dys are low-med intensity and low volume all other days. Secondary lifts are all low-med intensity and low volume every day. 

So for example my heavy squat day will only be 2-3 sets, with the top two sets no more than 3 reps. All the other days will be 1-2 sets of 20-7 reps. Same for the other 3 main lifts. Everything else will be 1-2 sets of 16-7 reps. 

It's been interesting going straight to 185 on the bench and knocking out 1 set of 12 or so just about every day. After that first week or two of soreness you get used to training 6 days  at about 70-80% intensity and one day at 95-100%. It seems counterintuitive, but daily volume is so low that you never feel slammed. And it feels great always feeling like you're at the top of your game. 

It would be similar to doing a quick lap on the bike every day that only has about 15-20 minutes of climbing and then once a week doing a big day that has multiple 30-60 minutes climbs or one big 2hr+ climb.

Sept. 15, 2021, 2:21 p.m.

variability is key.  I like your mix.

I intersperse gravel, road, mtb and moto with varying intensities, terrain and durations. 

mixed with a lot of manual labor at home and a 2-a-day walk regime, it works pretty good for keeping the old guy alive. 

and plan is to get back into pushing moderate weights once the covid story in Dumbmerica  settles down... fookin Dumbmerica smh

Sept. 15, 2021, 3:54 p.m.

variability is key.  I like your mix.

I intersperse gravel, road, mtb and moto with varying intensities, terrain and durations. 

mixed with a lot of manual labor at home and a 2-a-day walk regime, it works pretty good for keeping the old guy alive. 

and plan is to get back into pushing moderate weights once the covid story in Dumbmerica  settles down... fookin Dumbmerica smh

Thanks. I'm trying to get in a short run in the morning as well, just 15 minutes. I'm realizing I won't have any serious bike time available till the new year and riding 1x/wk is all I can manage, so the short, hard runs will do wonders for maintaining cardio. The cool thing about my strength routine is that I have a squat rack at home and the workout is only about 15min/day so it's super easy to fit it in.

Sept. 15, 2021, 7:56 p.m.

Still enjoying the anaerobic side of things in my waning years.

Sept. 16, 2021, 9:12 a.m.

^^ enjoy the flight and whatever you do, don't give in to age,,,