Old Footage

Feb. 11, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

I watched the newest Digger video a few weeks ago, and it got me thinking…

MTB movies need to revert back to shitty VHS, have no slo-mo, trashy music that is free and if it isn't who cares, and they need more blood and tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kNnMWkB7Y[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

One of these is not like the others.

Feb. 11, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

I will post a decent, well-thought out reply after I have watched Life Cycles some time tomorrow.

At the moment I do not really have an opinion, other than Digger's last is a nice movie that gets me stoked. But it is not better than NSX "Diggin' It".

And who needs shitty movies…..if even the next-door retard thinks he is a professional photog and is soo awesome filming himself with a point-and-shoot for his boring blog that shows the world how poor a rider he is?

We do not need poor, shitty videos - we have Youtube, Mpora and Vimeo. Who needs VHS anyways?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

Digger's newest has lots of rad archived footage and I think it's awesome. I've been starting to miss sketchy stuff and falling. Like old 80's skate footage.

Life Cycles is good though. It's pretty. It's like a MTB movie, but for IMAX.

Feb. 11, 2011, 1:34 p.m.

Most video and Audiophiles will tell you that VHS is preferred over BluRay. The analogue sound has warmth and colour to it, and detail that you just can't get out of high def video and audio. Especially after it's been played a few hundred times.

Feb. 11, 2011, 1:41 p.m.

i do not own a bluray player thingy, am still fond of cds and do not like downloading music from the newt…simply because downloaded songs sound like crap on me speakers.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2011, 3 p.m.

Ya that riding is pretty Renegade. That car and van got wasted real good. Also when the glass broke on the billboard. And i think i can beat his shotgun time by 1 second. He can ride the hell out of the bowl, seems he is hopped up on some sort of anphedamene.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Feb. 11, 2011, 3:04 p.m.

Digger's newest has lots of rad archived footage and I think it's awesome. I've been starting to miss sketchy stuff and falling. Like old 80's skate footage.

Life Cycles is good though. It's pretty. It's like a MTB movie, but for IMAX.

Wife and toddler are away for the weekend, so I started watching soem of the older ones of my bike videos…..and there is a "soul-ish" quality to Digger's older films and the early Kranked Series that is not present in Follow Me or even Seasons.

Everything is high-gloss nowadays.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2011, 3:15 p.m.

I'm in complete disagreement with you.

VHS is dead. It was replaced by a DVD which is being replaced by blue-ray which is already being replaced by direct downloads. It's not gonna make a comback. It'll be just like the vinyl records they tried to bring back; it didn't happen and now all old people think their old records are worth a lot of money.

Slow-mo has it's ups and downs. Hater's gonna hate, but there's something about seeing a clip slowed down to almost a dead stop. Abuse of the effect has killed it a bit, but it still has it's place in any fast-moving form of vid.

Music's a personal preference, but the thrash in your video did not make me want to ride, it just makes me want to turn off the video, or at least my speakers.
There's nothing like a song that's perfectly synced to the flow of the rider on screen, no matter what genre, but it's gotta have a beat that can match up. And personally I like the bike sounds over top of the music or all by themselves.

As for blood and tits, it all has it's place. Too much blood can make you cringe and take you out of the "must ride bikes" mood. Same for tits, too much and you'll shut the vidder off and go look at the boob thread :P.

Just my two cents, but I like where bike video's are at.
Though I must admit, I don't mind pulling out and old vid like 'Back in the Saddle' and watching it again for the 10th time. :rocker:

Feb. 11, 2011, 3:16 p.m.

well put.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2011, 3:53 p.m.

I'm in complete disagreement with you.

VHS is dead. It was replaced by a DVD which is being replaced by blue-ray which is already being replaced by direct downloads. It's not gonna make a comback. It'll be just like the vinyl records they tried to bring back; it didn't happen and now all old people think their old records are worth a lot of money.

Slow-mo has it's ups and downs. Hater's gonna hate, but there's something about seeing a clip slowed down to almost a dead stop. Abuse of the effect has killed it a bit, but it still has it's place in any fast-moving form of vid.

Music's a personal preference, but the thrash in your video did not make me want to ride, it just makes me want to turn off the video, or at least my speakers.
There's nothing like a song that's perfectly synced to the flow of the rider on screen, no matter what genre, but it's gotta have a beat that can match up. And personally I like the bike sounds over top of the music or all by themselves.

As for blood and tits, it all has it's place. Too much blood can make you cringe and take you out of the "must ride bikes" mood. Same for tits, too much and you'll shut the vidder off and go look at the boob thread :P.

Just my two cents, but I like where bike video's are at.
Though I must admit, I don't mind pulling out and old vid like 'Back in the Saddle' and watching it again for the 10th time. :rocker:

VHS is making a come-back. Obviously you aren't in the know. For starters, you can barely find any through craigslist. An obvious indicator that it's niche, which means it will be mainstream within 12 months.

Secondly, to get the full benefit of VHS, you need to hook it up through coax cable. None of this component or upconverting HDMI shit. Also it helps to store the VHS tape or even the entire VCR in the deep freezer when not using it. When auditioning VHS tapes, I usually put them back in the freezer at least 2 or 3 times during a video. It really brings out the detail that a bluray can never expose. The video comes out warm and full-bodied. I've tried recording Life cycles from bluray to VHS, but it comes out looking muddy and without definition. Comparing it to reference quality stuff, like Crusty Demons of Dirt 2 on VHS, it just can't compare.

Feb. 11, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

you're making fun of video nerds…

teeee heeeee

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 11, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

thank for the technical jcole. I am also huge fan VHS.

look at collections carbitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 12, 2011, 7:15 p.m.

MTB movies need to revert back to shitty VHS, have no slo-mo, trashy music that is free and if it isn't who cares, and they need more blood and tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kNnMWkB7Y[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

That's the Murder City Devils, sick band, I have partied with them, the keyboard player was hot.:rocker:
Was that BMX video published? Same tune was used in Pedalfiles, I am hoping that Ambrose did not song jack that bmx video.

Feb. 12, 2011, 7:56 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=139688

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Feb. 12, 2011, 8:07 p.m.

That's the Murder City Devils, sick band, I have partied with them, the keyboard player was hot.:rocker:
Was that BMX video published? Same tune was used in Pedalfiles, I am hoping that Ambrose did not song jack that bmx video.

No they're some bmx guys from coquitlam, those two guys and surrey steve. They're friends of a friend. I found the vids on youtube and laughed when he ripped open his pants in anger.