Nwd 9

Dec. 9, 2008, 5:06 p.m.

No Vanderham or Wade ? Shame on Big D.

totally agree.

Dec. 9, 2008, 5:47 p.m.

yeah so apparantly berrecloth can flip now lol, anywayz it was a top notch film, i always like watching how they put together the contest segments, it was really well done, one of the best yet id say.

Dec. 9, 2008, 10:10 p.m.

To clarify, I honestly think that the culture of stealing videos has HELPED the bmx-video industry. Once companies stop trying to make a profit off of the videos, and start using them as a marketing tool, they start making videos aimed at riders who will buy their products, rather than at people who have money.

Only problem is that the production values of BMX movies are shithouse. Honestly, a 12 year old could throw most BMX movies together after punching a few cones. I thought the new NWD was pretty good, still think 8 was better, and agree that the sections were too short and had some general gripes. But, I sure as HELL hope they don't go the way of BMX videos, because (apart from the riding of course!) 90% of them are an absolute smoking pile of poop in terms of camerawork!

Flickr

Dec. 9, 2008, 10:16 p.m.

Only problem is that the production values of BMX movies are shithouse. Honestly, a 12 year old could throw most BMX movies together after punching a few cones. I thought the new NWD was pretty good, still think 8 was better, and agree that the sections were too short and had some general gripes. But, I sure as HELL hope they don't go the way of BMX videos, because (apart from the riding of course!) 90% of them are an absolute smoking pile of poop in terms of camerawork!

I know you appreciate camerawork because i've seen some of the stuff you have posted and it's awesome.
but you could argue that most people dont care about camera work, this is why i find bmx videos to be way more entertaining most the time. the riding in disorder is really good but the way the videos are produced i cant stand. everything is in slow motion and there is a lame theme everytime, this makes it harder to watch. to be honest i dled nwd 9 and im glad i didnt buy it because even though the riding is unreal, i cant watch it straight though, i feel like im in the matrix or something from all the slow motion and dramatic music.

stuff for sale:
Dainese upper body suit, size medium, brand new and never worn $200
email me for details: [email protected]

Dec. 9, 2008, 10:51 p.m.

I thought that the red bull pipe was sick, and the effects added alot to it. It was one section… about 4 minutes of an hour long movie and they wanted to try something different and cool, every other action sports video throws in a few cool editing curveballs. I too give a shit about camerawork and I notice the difference between quality of shots, I think alot of people do. Every year a new NWD comes out and people come here to bitch. Hey… if you think hating on someones bike movie, (or anything else not actually directly effecting you) warrants several essay-posts venting your disgust, you're retarded, especially if you downloaded it. That's like stealing a jacket from some clothes shop, and bringing it back the next day complaining that the coat wasn't really your style.
If Olly made a video you didn't like, would you start bitching about it for days too? Is being an idiot the trendy thing these days?

This post is intended at nobody in particular.

vimeo
Flickr

Dec. 9, 2008, 10:59 p.m.

I think a lot of what you're seeing in bmx movies is that people care more about the riding than the filming. That's the way it should be.

I appreciate great filming too though, and good filming and production makes any video way WAY better. There are lots bmx movies that have fucking amazing production; Etnies (both), Tomorrow We Work, the Mutiny stuff, etc. etc. etc… Hell, even though I don't particularly like the production or camerawork on either of them, both the Levis vid and the Nike vid have WAY better production than NWD.

That's what gets me. How can people say NWD has good camerawork, when half the time it's zoomed in so far you can't see the takeoffs, etc.??? Sure, it's fancy, but it doesn't show the riding well at all.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 9, 2008, 11:25 p.m.

This is true, and I admit that I still love watching earthed movies just for the riding, and equally still love watching lotek mixtape (even though its old, and is full of fish shots).

If only someone could find a balance between showing great riding well, and having good cinematography that doesnt shout "wow look what I can do with this zoom thing on my camera!"

Flickr

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:27 a.m.

My take on NWD is that it was similiar to 8 as it is basically a slopestyle/dj vid. The DH footage was really tight and slowed down. I personally like the style of Earth / Yeti-Fox better. This is also awesome.

http://www.pinkbike.com/v/50631

Cam Mccauls section was really really good. He's a slopestyle rider with DH style. No Vanderham or Wade ? Shame on Big D.

NWD's are generally not appealing, because regular riders can't relate to the slopestyle/dj.
although everyone can appreciate the skills doing back flip and such, unless you are unique, you're just another whistler kid.
People who don't even ride downhill get really stoked watching teasers like above, or earthed, because it's trail riding in essence. Whens the last time you rode off a wooden box onto a paved tranny doing a tail whip?

Dec. 10, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

the dh sections were painful to watch - slo-mo and super zoomed in shots show nothing for the skill that is required for that kind of riding

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.

Dec. 10, 2008, 3:06 p.m.

numetal numetal numetal…

I agree that numetal sucks. However, one of the songs near the beginning was by Black Label Society. NOT numetal.

One of these is not like the others.

Dec. 10, 2008, 4:23 p.m.

Fair enough, not my cup o tea though.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 10, 2008, 4:34 p.m.

Vories was, and will remain THE MAN. despite Zink/Strait having a midget section it was one of the only ones that stuck with me.

Dec. 10, 2008, 7:52 p.m.

Cedrics segment made me want to go out and ride! and that creek gap Cam was shredding looked so fun! Those guys rule!

Dec. 10, 2008, 8:53 p.m.

I just got mine last night and was all stoked to sit back, crack a few beers, and enjoy the show. It was so painful to watch I couldn't even drink beer……never had that happen before. I admit I'm an old fuddy duddy who's not really in to watching DJ-fests, but I like to think I'm pretty open minded regarding mountain biking in general and can appreciate all aspects of riding…..I have many different mountain bike videos in my TV room and my favorite one (other than The Collective flicks, of course) is probably Stripped. Problem is, from what I recall, there really weren't that many aspects of mountain biking shown in this film. Lot's of variations of triple lindy's and such on dirt jumps, but not much else that I can recall. I give total props to the dudes who can throw their crazy tricks off jumps, but over an hour of variations of that gets pretty painful for me to watch. Only two sections I really recall were Voreis and Bourdo. Voreis segment at Blackrock was pretty cool but what is it with all trails needing to be perfectly buffed out versions of A-Line in different locations? I love Whistler as much as the next guy, but I'd like to actually have a reason for the suspension on my bike.

Bourdo's section was by far my favorite in the film. Again, I am an old codger but what ever happened to some good ol' North Shore segments?

Anyway, I feel like my money was just stolen from me……I will never watch that movie again. First dude to PM me with his/her address get's my viewed once movie mailed to his/her address on me.

Dec. 11, 2008, 9:42 a.m.

L. Ron was very generous IMO.