Nwd 9

Dec. 6, 2008, 12:11 a.m.

Just watched it. . . HOLY SHIT
They really stepped up this year. In another thread I remember a few people were saying how ski and snowboard movies made the quality of MTB movies look like little kids playing with a camera, this is definitely not the case. After seeing That's it That's All and being completely blown away by the quality, Never Enough confirmed my faith in bike movies.
The red bull pipe section stood out for me as one of the best edits I've ever seen, and I keep watching it over and over again.

Go buy this movie, it'll get your grandma stoked to go rip the MTB
:rocker:

vimeo
Flickr

Dec. 6, 2008, 12:16 a.m.

good cinematography i will definatly agree on they definatly stepped up huge as far as creativity with shots and editing, it just lacked in my case the stoked feeling i get after watching movies like seasons or earthed still a sick movie and definatly worth checking out

Dec. 6, 2008, 12:28 a.m.

i thought it was very disorganized.

and i mean the riding has sort of flat lined… there isn't nearly as much progression as in the earlier films… i think all sports reach that point though.

a real lack of trail riding too…

Dec. 6, 2008, 12:58 a.m.

Mountain biking has defenetly not met its full potential yet. Look at BMX and FMX… Soo much progression every year! Every year you can see this at all the contests. Flip whips and 3 whips, not a big deal any more. Look at Greg Watss for instance. triple trucks, triple barspin flips, 3 double whips, flip double whips. Flip whiping the jumbo tron at Crankworx! He is incredible with what he does. Look at Bordo, flat spinning that gnarly step down, the huge hip drop. Guys a machine. It was also a real big contest year, this makes it harder and harder for riders to put out good movie segments. Yeah maybe there was a little lack of trail riding, but thats why the Collective and maybe Earth do really well. There just missing out on all the good trails we get to ride to our selves eh!

2008 Stinky air $2500
please buy me.
email is: g_agassiz@hotmail

Kona
Sombrio
Nike 6.0
Smith optics
Marzocchi
Shimano
Giro

Dec. 6, 2008, 9:04 a.m.

Mountain biking has defenetly not met its full potential yet. Look at BMX and FMX… Soo much progression every year! Every year you can see this at all the contests. Flip whips and 3 whips, not a big deal any more. Look at Greg Watss for instance. triple trucks, triple barspin flips, 3 double whips, flip double whips. Flip whiping the jumbo tron at Crankworx! He is incredible with what he does. Look at Bordo, flat spinning that gnarly step down, the huge hip drop. Guys a machine. It was also a real big contest year, this makes it harder and harder for riders to put out good movie segments. Yeah maybe there was a little lack of trail riding, but thats why the Collective and maybe Earth do really well. There just missing out on all the good trails we get to ride to our selves eh!

you got that right. nuf said!

…wyper…

Dec. 6, 2008, 9:22 a.m.

i think the next level lies somewhere between watt's bmx trickery and bourdo's man size maneuvers; right around where semenuk spins a dh bike in the rampage.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

Dec. 6, 2008, 5:27 p.m.

exactly my thoughts, super sick movie too

Dec. 6, 2008, 5:33 p.m.

where did you guys download this movie?!?!?! I CAN"T FIND IT ANYWHErEEEEEEE….omgz0rs

Dec. 6, 2008, 5:55 p.m.

sucked!!

diggin

Dec. 6, 2008, 8:54 p.m.

loved it

Dec. 6, 2008, 9:34 p.m.

where did you guys download this movie?!?!?! I CAN"T FIND IT ANYWHErEEEEEEE….omgz0rs

its all over the torrent sites, Im about to watch it.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 7, 2008, 8:56 a.m.

I fell asleep watching NWD8, should I buy 9?

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 7, 2008, 9:32 a.m.

Cam McCaul's tailwhip over the forest river gap thing was unreal. The rest was good but didn't really hold my interest.

Dec. 7, 2008, 11:26 a.m.

Okay, deathrace thing is lame as hell, but its NWD and they need to do that shit, so Ill give them a pass on it.

Paul Bas is really good, lots of big moves on some natural stuff. Really feeling the bars up onto this weird thing in utah to whip off. Also the big natural line he finishes with is terrifying.
Music: numetal

The RedBull pipe section is kind of weird. The 3d effects were lame, and generally fairly distracting. Benny Korthaus does some big shit, but Im definitely not feeling his gigantically tall bars. It was also pretty funny when they show him falling on a 3 double whip, and then show him landing a 3 whip, like thats what he was going for. Also the whole section is in slow motion.
Music: coffee shop music

Cam McCaul seems like he only does giant "canyon" gaps nowadays. Whipping that river was really good though. Some of the trails he's riding look fun as hell, should make the trailriding guys happy. A lot of the dirt shots really show that Freeride Entertainment still hasn't learned to shoot them.
Music: some shitty band that sort of sounds like Metallica.

Gobe Desert section has Cam McCaul and Darren Berrecloth. It tries to be fairly soulful and reverent. Weird seeing the riders, the epitome of western rockstar decadence, in that setting. Awesome riding, wasn't this the same section they released to the internet a while ago?
Music: what westerners think they listen to in the Gobi Desert.

DB in Utah. He only does tables. Seriously, 90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the section is him doing tables. Oh he just did a level-lifted 3. He also does a fakie wallride, just like he has in EVERY other NWD. Nothing new at all, except his wallride 360 at the end, but its wayyyyy smaller than Boyko's banger in NWD 8.
Music: guitars and thrashy drums. Sounds like numetal trying to sound like old metal.

Cedric's section is fast and makes me think maybe Freeride can actually shoot bike videos. I like whatever their post-production is on the footage too. It's really short though.

Aaron Chase gets towed into a single dirt jump. And it's small. And he has a freecoaster, and he does pedal grinds. I REALLY want to ride some of his spots, they're amazing. Adam Hauk riding the Brooklyn Banks is kind of funny, given the spot, but he does a good job. I just want the cameras to back the fuck up a bit.
Music: 90s rap.

Andorra was basically a story of the Athertons winning some shit. Good for them, would have liked to see more riding. Then there's a bunch of Utah riding, which is obviously really good. Rachel is fairly gnar too.
Music: more 90s rawk.

Quashnai made me see a little bit what old guys are always complaining about the dirtjump kids. Great riding, fairly uninspiring. I'm glad to see mtbers have learned to dump their threes.
Music: more old rap. apparently riding in the streets means you have to listen to dated rap.

I was pretty psyched for a Vories section. I really like his riding, and get really psyched about how old and legit he is. Ive got to say, this section is the most fun in the whole movie. It's as if he just trailrides at a higher level than anyone else in the world, and it looks so much fun. There are also some big moves in here, including a massive treetap.
Music: rawk that I didn't really mind.

Cam Zink. He's bringing the nacnac back, and there's some good riding. The opening shot is amazing. Kyle Strait I guess is back in the game, but his section is pretty short. There's a pretty huge gap in a gravel pit too. Wayne Goss moss sauce rides around in a forest. Someone needs to have a bitch-hop intervention with him though, he looks like Dylan Tremblay.
Music: I guess with the kids they had to get some new rappe.

Brandon Seminuk. Holy fucking god, this kid is dialed. Is the handplant to 180 (not to fakie) a bike first? Alex Pro has some good, tame shots. Kind of a disappointing end to this section, Seminuk didn't really have a banger, and Alex Pro just did a couple things in Whistler. When is someone going to give these kids full, legit sections in a movie?
Music: something that sounds like Tegan and Sara.

World Cup. Pretty cool insight. At least the talking wasn't "soulful."
Music: some awful fucking shit that made my ears bleed. seriously, what the fuck is this? Did Big D's angry 12 year old son pick this shit?

The Lacondeguy's are fucking crazy. I'm so terrified watching their sections that I can barely enjoy them. Some huge dumped threes. Really short section though.

STACY KOHUT IS MY TRAINER!

But seriously, did we really need to see a Crankworks section? Especially put to angry reggae? Oh, the flip off the U thing beside the road gap reminds me, what ever happened to Benton Hennig? Did I mention I hate Brad Ewen? Fuck that guy.

Fabien Barel riding down mountains was pretty cool. Would have been cooler if they'd zoomed the fuck out, and not used music that sounded like it should have been in Kranded 3. To be fair, they went to Morocco, which they also did in Kranked 3, so maybe they just wanted to keep it consistent.

More soulful eastern music, more talk about culture (really, does anyone think Bourdon is particularly cultured?). He did do one 3, and then they tied it into his "Utah flatspin" storyline. "I'm not gonna sit around and learn how to dirtjump." ahaha. He did do the three though. Good on him. Alson ,he does one of the few utterly massive gaps in the whole movie, like, something that made me stop breathing. Fucking insane. I was going to complain about him not having a banger, but fuck that. That was nuts.
Music: more guitars, more rawk. Sounds like Creed, ahaha.

Anyways, I dunno what people were thinking saying this is a new creative direction for NWD: same old same old. Great riding, okay filming, slightly embarrassing skits, awful music, and bad post-production choices. I'd steal this for free off the internet…

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 7, 2008, 12:17 p.m.

Darren Berrecloth can also backflip on dirtjumps now… but so can everybody else
And I still think there was alot of creative new ideas in this movie

vimeo
Flickr