my glory - i need tips on saving weight

April 10, 2007, 6:55 p.m.

Ride it without cranks and a bb..single speed…no breaks..take out a few spokes never hurt noone either…and whoo needs grips?

Cafe blog-www.bicyclecafe.blogspot.com !!!
Cafe site-www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops !!!

April 10, 2007, 6:56 p.m.

Keep the 729 for normal riding with the minions and get a race wheel set to go with the highrollers you want and convert them to tubeless.

Very smart idea! Something like Hope hubs with 5.1s (light!) or 721s (run highish tire pressures if you are a hack like me) is a nice lighter combo.

Oh and for cranks, the XTs are very nice, Raceface Atlas are also nice, or you could even look into Hones (I run them and they have been great after a year of thrashing).

22 Pride

April 10, 2007, 7:39 p.m.

If you are pressed for money… Just ride the bike and enjoy it. A few pounds won[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t make a huge difference on a bike that is already 44-46 pounds. However if you do want to spend the money and lighten it up, I would suggest starting on the easy stuff… Cranks, Bar, Stem, and Shortening the Seatpost [HTML_REMOVED] Steer tube… If you want to invest extra money: Ti coil spring, Rd. Cassette, lighter brakeset, and a Tubeless wheelset.

As for the Race-only tires… You could run either Minions or Highrollers - Both work just fine for just about any condition. Personally I run minion front tires on both ends of my bike, and it seems to work perfectly.

Also someone mentioned swapping the fork out to a Boxxer WC… that's an OK idea which does require some extra cash, however after riding that fork for all last summer, I wouldn't recommend it if you are using it frequently, without servicing it. Throughout the summer I would need to rebuild mine at least every two weeks, if I didn't I would be losing tons of performance, and at the extremes, it would only work at around 2" of travel…. I'm not against the boxxer at all, I'm just letting you know that it will need more service compared to a coil sprung option.

Also I would recommend going with a coil spring on the Glory before you hit up an air shock[HTML_REMOVED]#8230; Air shocks can feel fabulous set up correctly on trail bikes and slopestyle bikes, but on a full on DH bike that will be Fr[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;d during the week, I would stick with a coil shock. You will find that setting up the sag is difficult because the air shock feels quite linear on the Glory compared to a coil. So you almost need to run a ton of pro pedal to have it set up how it should feel, than you are sacrificing a lot of small bump performance, yet you are still tapping the final couple mm of travel. It just didn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t feel right to me[HTML_REMOVED]#8230; If you need to lose some weight on the shock, stick with a Ti coil spring and save yourself the headache of dealing with the air shock[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;. I don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t know if it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s the Glory[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s design, but the air shock just didn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t feel as dialed in as the coil. I ride a DHX air on my Reign X and it feels awesome, so I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m not just hating on air shocks here!

Have fun on the Glory man…They are a blast!

MITCH

www.painincorporated.com

April 10, 2007, 7:49 p.m.

Fill the tires with helium, and seal some helium in your frame as well. Also, not eating for 24 hours before you ride will shave off valuable pounds

vimeo
Flickr

April 10, 2007, 10:16 p.m.

jenny 20? curves?

April 10, 2007, 10:17 p.m.

Fill the tires with helium, and seal some helium in your frame as well. Also, not eating for 24 hours before you ride will shave off valuable pounds

you are possibly one of the dumbest people i have ever seen

April 11, 2007, 9:17 a.m.

you lose at NSMB.

what the hell are you talking about?

the other guy started $hit by saying he needed to take 'that hidious monster T' off of bike….

is this forum retarded or something? no wonder i never come here….nothing but a bunch of whiny-ass little pre-teen canuks!

i mean for pete's sake, the guy couldn't even spell HIDEOUS right! WOW

"i'll be on the grind 'til it all collapse / and if its mine; word is bond / i'm-a take it right back"

April 11, 2007, 10:08 a.m.

Oh god you guys. Unless you have been around NSMB for a long time you dont' know the humor Brad Dawg provides. Settle down.

As for making your Glory lights its common sense, I dont' know why you need to ask the question.

I don't see the point of having a world cup light bike if your not racing the circuit. I few pounds off the bike is not going to make you faster and you already said its agile in the air so save your pennies son.

Steve

www.tuchiwsky.com

April 11, 2007, 10:10 a.m.

the other guy started $hit by saying he needed to take 'that hidious monster T' off of bike….

is this forum retarded or something? no wonder i never come here….nothing but a bunch of whiny-ass little pre-teen canuks!

now is it not me or do I get the tone of whiny from your sentences. Shut your mouth, its the fucking internet bed wetters its not the end of the world.

Steve

www.tuchiwsky.com

April 11, 2007, 10:28 a.m.

Oh god you guys. Unless you have been around NSMB for a long time you dont' know the humor Brad Dawg provides. Settle down.

As for making your Glory lights its common sense, I dont' know why you need to ask the question.

I don't see the point of having a world cup light bike if your not racing the circuit. I few pounds off the bike is not going to make you faster and you already said its agile in the air so save your pennies son.

Steve

:werd:

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

April 11, 2007, 3:12 p.m.

i would sell it and get the cannondale judge replica. stock it is about 42 pounds. alot lighter then the giant. oh and feels way better.

…wyper…

April 11, 2007, 6:04 p.m.

Buy lighter parts? Or maybe, instead of spending hundreds of dollars on new parts, ride it a whole bunch and lay off the twinkies, shave some pounds off of yourself. Honestly though, the difference between, say, a 46 pound bike and a 40 pound bike is so miniscule, the difference is mainly in your head.

Oh, and if you dislike this forum so much, please, feel free to go back to Pinkbike.

This is your birthday pony.

April 11, 2007, 6:22 p.m.

i mean for pete's sake, the guy couldn't even spell HIDEOUS right! WOW

:clap:

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

April 11, 2007, 8:25 p.m.

:clap:

i dont know how you can side with him here. if nobody understands brad dawgs joke and isnt siding with him they are horrible at life. and prettymuch to make the bike lighter sell it and buy something light or just use head and research which parts are light and buy those.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

April 11, 2007, 8:32 p.m.

lose 20 pounds

ride more, post less.