My Best Photos Yet?

Aug. 9, 2007, 11:34 p.m.

Thanks guys! I only have one flash at this moment. I have a question for you photo nerds out there, should I get a Canon 28mm 1.8, or a Canon 50mm 1.4? Pros and Cons kinda thing. Will be using it for biking shots, seeing it gets really dark in there.

Thanks

what body are you on btw and unrelated to the question. between a 1.4 and 1.8 there isnt a massive gap in the aperature. many people are stoked on their 50mm lenses though

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Aug. 10, 2007, 12:02 a.m.

Thanks Jerry. And Midas, I am on a 30d. My buddy just got a 50mm 1.8 and it's sick. But for I was thinking it may be easier to shoot in the crowded forest with a 28mm, no?

Cole

Aug. 10, 2007, 12:47 a.m.

last one is my favourite, i like the fact you can see the next bit of trail the rider is about to hit. All pretty good though.

Aug. 10, 2007, 12:56 a.m.

I'm diggin the first one. Every single shot is nice though…. nice work

Aug. 10, 2007, 1:01 a.m.

Cole,
Do you have the sequence shot in full colour? It would be nice to see that yellow pop.

Id have to say, your shots are improving every time steve and myself beg you to come out and make us look good.

I think you are ready to shoot Mr.steve and me at the same time! Lets see if we can get Steve to hit the shelf again!

My favorite? I love the use of the "fisheye" lens on the first one - how the trees bend around the rider! The creekgap is also amazing, hard to belive that tranny is just visable in the right hand corner of the pic. - Just realized now tho after cleaning off my bike that i cracked my rim on it.

Thanks again for comin out cole !

As for that new doohickey thing u want for your camera - get the one that makes me look like i am going bigger than I actually am - THX ha

Aug. 10, 2007, 11:08 p.m.

Haha, thanks guys! And yes Quinn, lets shoot soon with the both of you goons! Aswell, I will get the lens that make you guys look the best :P

Cole

Aug. 11, 2007, 12:26 a.m.

Quiton is killing it! nice pics!

BATTLECAT

Aug. 11, 2007, 12:53 p.m.

nice shots, greatimprovement compared to some of your older stuff

Aug. 11, 2007, 4:44 p.m.

Thanks guys! I only have one flash at this moment. I have a question for you photo nerds out there, should I get a Canon 28mm 1.8, or a Canon 50mm 1.4? Pros and Cons kinda thing. Will be using it for biking shots, seeing it gets really dark in there.

Thanks

The canon 50mm 1.4 is an awesome lens and is the right length for other things as well (Like concerts or weddings). The 28 will be short for a lot of things.

I would say get the 50mm then look at getting a zoom wide angle (10-22) used maybe in a bit. The 10-22 is another awesome lens and it will give you the super wide option.

The wide angles are more dynamic in my mind. The only reason to have a super fast 28mm or 35mm is if you shoot a ton of close portraits.

Problem is that every lens under 2.8 and above 28mm has a pretty short focal length when used stopped all the way down. For instance:

28mm @ 1.8 shot from 8 feet away gets you about 6-7 inches of DOF (6 feet away gets you 4 inches of DOF)
35mm @ 2.8 Shot from 10 feet away gets you about 12 inches of DOF (5 feet away gets you 2 inches of DOF)

50mm @ 1.4 Shot from 15 feet away gets you about 7 inches of DOF (12 feet away gets you 4 inches of DOF)

So the longer the lens and the lower the aperture shortens your DOF considerably.

This can be a great thing. When shooting against Busy backgrounds you can work your DOF to your advantage to help seperate the subject….ASSUMING YOU HAVE LIGHT TO WORK WITH.

Shooting in the trees at 50mm and 1.4 lends to a really short DOF and usually results in out of focus shots. (ie. the bar of the bike is in focus, but the rider is behind the focal plane.)

In good light however it can buy you increaded shutter speed as well.

The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens and really should be an "L", they are sharp as hell, they just don't have weather seals.

you can look for a cheaper fisheye (Sigma 15mm) used as well to fill teh super wide hole.

I very rarely shoot at 28mm. I will be either at my 16mm end or my 35mm end (or shoot my fisheye).

Hope that helps.

Jay.

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Aug. 12, 2007, 9:57 a.m.

Wow, thank you so much man. I think I am going to take your advice and go for the 50mm 1.4 now, and look for a fishy in a bit. That helped so much, I would rep you again, but I just did…:stupid:

Cole