Money Shot Thoughts

March 9, 2006, 10:29 a.m.

I'm not writing this post to be disresptectful, but I feel the Money Shot contest has lost some of it's validity as a photography contest. I understand there is a need to cater to the users of this site, but I want to point out some major issues I see.

1) Changes to the rules - One week we had someone who's shot was disqualified for being in a mag he put out himself. Definitely not a major. Then we have someone that is trying to make it as a photographer get bumped because they've sold too much work. He's not pro, but he still got bumped.

2) Since the first week, it seems image quality of first place shots has gone down. We're seeing overexposed shots, soft focus on riders, chromatic aberration, and questionable composition. I wonder whether or not the selecting processed has been "dumbed" down to cater to the average rider on this site. While content of the image is important (I agree a shot of a rider with his bros watching is cool), it falls apart if the other elements aren't in place. Most of these shots would not get published.

I understand some feel that the contest should be winnable by the average joe, but the contest was announced on a website devoted to helping action photographers make it to the pro level - WheelsandWax.

Post from WAW-

"Hey fine shooters,

We're running a photo contest on http://www.nsmb.com and I thought some of you might be interested.

It's going to last four months and there are nice prizes every week. The grand prize is a full pimp $6000 Rocky Mountain Slayer.

The catch is that you can only enter if photography isn't your main source of income. If it's not you are in. The rest of the details can be found here [HTML_REMOVED] http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/moneyshot_01_06.php"

I don't like to post problems without an idea for a solution, so maybe a second contest is in order. One for point-and-shoot guys, and one for SLR guys.

March 9, 2006, 12:38 p.m.

please be quiet. keep taking pictures.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

March 9, 2006, 12:50 p.m.

I'm not writing this post to be disresptectful, but I feel the Money Shot contest has lost some of it's validity as a photography contest. I understand there is a need to cater to the users of this site, but I want to point out some major issues I see.

1) Changes to the rules - One week we had someone who's shot was disqualified for being in a mag he put out himself. Definitely not a major. Then we have someone that is trying to make it as a photographer get bumped because they've sold too much work. He's not pro, but he still got bumped.

2) Since the first week, it seems image quality of first place shots has gone down. We're seeing overexposed shots, soft focus on riders, chromatic aberration, and questionable composition. I wonder whether or not the selecting processed has been "dumbed" down to cater to the average rider on this site. While content of the image is important (I agree a shot of a rider with his bros watching is cool), it falls apart if the other elements aren't in place. Most of these shots would not get published.

I understand some feel that the contest should be winnable by the average joe, but the contest was announced on a website devoted to helping action photographers make it to the pro level - WheelsandWax.

Post from WAW-

"Hey fine shooters,

We're running a photo contest on http://www.nsmb.com and I thought some of you might be interested.

It's going to last four months and there are nice prizes every week. The grand prize is a full pimp $6000 Rocky Mountain Slayer.

The catch is that you can only enter if photography isn't your main source of income. If it's not you are in. The rest of the details can be found here [HTML_REMOVED] http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/moneyshot_01_06.php"

I don't like to post problems without an idea for a solution, so maybe a second contest is in order. One for point-and-shoot guys, and one for SLR guys.

You are new here, so please don't take offense, but these issues have been discussed ad nauseam and the major wrinkles seem to have been ironed out - so far. The overall tone surrounding the contest has changed 180 degrees and almost all seem to be far more pleased with how things are going. If/when there is another contest, it can/will only get better!

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

March 9, 2006, 12:50 p.m.

March 9, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

this is really pointless.

2008 Stinky air $2500
please buy me.
email is: g_agassiz@hotmail

Kona
Sombrio
Nike 6.0
Smith optics
Marzocchi
Shimano
Giro

March 9, 2006, 4:37 p.m.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

March 9, 2006, 5:16 p.m.

yes, the jet will take off

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

March 9, 2006, 9:35 p.m.

Welcome to NSMB Gurp.

Basic rules:

1. Search before starting a "which tire to buy" thread.
2. If posting pics in the buy and sell, make sure that there's nothing in the
background IE: empty boxes, a Jetta, pics of a Jetta and foam hot dog
hats. If you have to sell a pocket bike, good luck.

Obey 1 [HTML_REMOVED] 2 and should be smooth sailing.

Taylor and Riot - you guy's have raised the bar a bit higher once again. Pic's are fn' gold. Even though it's not bike related…week six winner?

March 9, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Oh wow, someone isnt happy wit the moneyshot contest?!?!?!?!

No-one in the the whole previous month that the whole contest been running has had anything bad to say or complain about it.
Shocked.

Does anyone else have objections? Please let everyone know how you feel. Maybe make a whole new thread about it, each of you.

March 9, 2006, 10:19 p.m.

everyone who keeps saying gurp is beating a dead horse, is beating a dead horse.
the guy's new, we've told him this has been discussed, we don't need a rant about a rant.

March 9, 2006, 10:26 p.m.

Can i rant about the giant pidgeon?

March 9, 2006, 10:32 p.m.

threads should be able to get negative ratings.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

March 9, 2006, 10:54 p.m.

No need to rant about the people ranting about the rant.

I didn't:)

March 23, 2006, 4:33 p.m.

I want to say the past few weeks shots have been sick. Don't know if anything has changed, but they definitely look a whole lot better.

March 23, 2006, 4:58 p.m.

Can i rant about the giant pidgeon?

yes, please do!

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve