Life Cycles movie opinions

Dec. 9, 2010, 11:21 a.m.

I bought it, I watched it twice, and while it was a very well shot movie, it wasn't what I expected. The initial bike mfg scenes were amazing, along with the spring to fall to winter transitions but overall I was bored with it. I felt it was similar in production to "Brighter", which is another well shot video but lacked in the excitement.

I had such high expectations for this film too. After watching it, I lent it to my buddy, and his thoughts were the same. Where's the excitement?

For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts on the movie?

Dec. 9, 2010, 11:41 a.m.

I loved it, beautiful and well thought out I thought. Not for everyone and not every bike movie should be like it…but I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Dec. 9, 2010, 12:07 p.m.

I think it's a movie you have to watch a few times before you begin to fully appreciate it. I've read that a lot of people don't get the "I gotta ride!" feeling after watching it…. It's art and like pedalhound said it's not for everyone.

As for my opinion I loved it. It was exactly what I thought it would be. Riley and Evans part is simply fantastic. L. Ron's review was accurate too which is found in the Vanderham's Seggy thread.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I wanted to love it so badly but left the premier disappointed same as above not enough excitement.
However, after watching it at home a few times it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s really growing on me. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s pretty much all in slow-mo so you start to pick up nuances of fast riding when you re watch it. I don[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t have cable so Follow Me, Life Cycles, and Steep are pretty much on repeat all the time it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s just another movie in the roster.

edit: same as above

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

I loved the riding, didn't enjoy the stuff in between quite as much. I'd still like to see more like this though: people riding trails, not so much 45 min of kids doing backflips. The DJ sequence was nice in Life Cycles because it was different.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 9, 2010, 12:16 p.m.

I thought that it was amazing! No there isnt banger banger banger but it has some of the most amazing filming I have ever seen. I find it also is tied together very well from start to finish.

I loved it!

BATTLECAT

Dec. 9, 2010, 2:16 p.m.

20 minutes into the movie, my 3 year old stated "Daddy, I just wanna see them riding fast!" We switched over to the Atherton Project.

Nothing I can add that slang and l.ron haven't already stated. It's beautifully shot, the riding is top notch and the music is surprisingly decent, but it is hard to see past the embarrassingly horrendous narration and excessive reds disease/slow mo use. In the end, I am glad I've seen it and I'm glad I only paid 9 bucks for it on iTunes.

Dec. 9, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

I find anyone saying they didn't enjoy it insane, its time that theres a movie that captures the true vibe that surrounds riding, not just racing and kids hitting dj's. I was cursing myself halfway through looking outside at the snow. Stance Films give yourselves a pat on the back, that was the best bike film I've ever seen! Also having riden half the trails in the film gives me a big appreciation for it, makes me want to move to Nelson/Rossland!

Dec. 9, 2010, 5:05 p.m.

I'll let you know in 2020 when they ship the blurays.

Dec. 9, 2010, 5:18 p.m.

I downloaded it off itunes and was very impressed with the actual quality of the video over the follow me that I downloaded from itunes. I think my jaw was open for most of it, absolutely amazing cinematography and very creative and unique angles. The whole thing is a great work of art that I think a lot of non-bikers will enjoy as well. I think this is a very special movie that may never be repeated again in the age of short internet clips.

My wife watched it the next day and really enjoyed it as well. Her favorite part was when the rider hit the tree she told me. She said she tells people at her work that she runs into trees all the time when she bikes and they can't understand it, so she felt vindicated to see someone hitting a tree and falling down on a high end bike movie. That part made me laugh as well.

Overall I would say this movie was inspiring. It didn't make me want to become a better or faster rider, it made me want to become a better photographer and to get out and try/build more creative lines in my trails and expand my riding and photography that way. Everyone wants something different from a bike movie, but this is exactly what I expected out of it. I watch other bike movies for other reasons that they do well, like the earthed series for speed and racing, but this was an amazing piece of art.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Dec. 9, 2010, 6:11 p.m.

Well just gave it a 2nd viewing and my opinion hasn't changed at all, its just full of cliche shots, slow mo into a berm, slow mo of dirt flying, slow mo of rider cresting a table, slow mo of a dirt jumper, as i said before i really wanted to like it and defended it for being different before i seen it but its too bad and leaves me bored :zzz: its like they figured out how to do all these cool shots and forgot about the actual riding, and don't give me all that pish about it not being a bike movie but a movie about a bike blah blah! Its a like a parody of a bike movie!

Dec. 9, 2010, 6:20 p.m.

why do mountain bikers feel the need to take everything so seriously, as if them mountain biking is some soul awakening experience. Your riding a chunk of technology down a hill, get a grip. The voice over was the worst thing I have ever heard. It actually pained me to watch so much hard work be put to shame by some knob discussing the devastating impact of forestry, as they begin to mountain bike down the hill. Not to mention the fact that 90% of mountain bike destinations in BC rely on forestry.

Aggy was the only good thing this movie had going, along with the cine work. Music was trash but that's expected.

its almost laughable how serious this movie is. Film makers need to figure out reality, Mtb'ing is what it is. People having fun.

WWW.BICYCLEROCKERS.COM

Dec. 9, 2010, 6:42 p.m.

For what the movie was I really enjoyed it, and so did my GF who has just started biking. I think the slow mo could have been more selective along with the narration. I believe with big moves and hits, just like in ski movies to get the full perspective of it slow mo is great. For the fast stuff I think let it ride at full speed except at the areas you want to focus in on detail like for say the hand dragging around the corner. I think a perfect example of this can be seen in Ryley's and Evans section with the East Coast sounding tune. I enjoyed this section much more when the riding was normal speed at the fast parts of the song.

I think we can't complain to much. Constructive criticism is only going to help them on the next film. You also have to take into consideration what type of style they wanted to capture and maybe make something different from the rock and roll of what biking usually is. In that sense I think they captured that really well. If you have ever done any type of shooting in mountain biking you have to commend these guys for all the planning that went behind every shot. The shear detail of it is mind blowing, especially to capture what they did in the detail the did.

In general I can't complain paying 9 bucks for the video. I do feel for the people that have ordered DVD's and blue rays, but again you have to take into consideration these guys are pushing it to the next level for quality and trying a lot of firsts for a mountain bike industry so in all patience is a virtue. If anything comes out of this hopefully it pushes other producers to match the quality of what they did and maybe bring their own spin on things.

Steve

www.tuchiwsky.com

Dec. 9, 2010, 6:53 p.m.

I actually quite enjoyed the slow mo. Some sections it was a little over done. But especially in Aggy's section I enjoyed it. It really shows the style and elegance that comes with mountain biking.

BATTLECAT

Dec. 9, 2010, 8:01 p.m.

If included with the life cycles dvd, was a free case of pil, a bag of reefer and a couple of condoms…

You'd all be complaining that you haven't drank pil since highschool for a reason, that you'd had better bud, and now thanks to those shitty condoms, your girlfriends pregnant.

Ironically, the bluray guys would be stoked.

Who's taking mtn biking too seriously?

transition bikes