Leavenworth/Wenatchee/Winthrop

May 12, 2014, 7:21 a.m.

Had a fun few days down south of the border. The wild flowers are amazing right now.

http://vimeo.com/94869033

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

May 12, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

Cool little vid, you must have done a lot of climbing back to fetch the camera.

May 12, 2014, 7:41 a.m.

Thanks! A bit yeah but on the couple really long shots the trail actually loops back under where I placed the camera so it was just a quick climb up the hillside.

May 12, 2014, 12:47 p.m.

How high can you go? I would have thought there was quite a bit of snow there at this time of year.

May 12, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

Also thanks for sharing!

May 12, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

nice vid. trails look nice and smooth. I'm headed there in July. Any trail recommendations?

May 12, 2014, 6:18 p.m.

How high can you go? I would have thought there was quite a bit of snow there at this time of year.

There is a fair bit of riding to be done but yeah snow is still a factor. Devil's Gulch and Lake Wenatachee are both under snow and a most of the Winthrop epics. But Xanadu is open and so was Freund canyon. Worth the trip but I will have to go back and hit Devil's Gulch at some point.

May 12, 2014, 6:23 p.m.

nice vid. trails look nice and smooth. I'm headed there in July. Any trail recommendations?

Leavenworth:
Xanadu was super fun. Big berms with little hits.
Rosy Boa: another ridge run also super fun. Less technical than xanadu but both aren't too crazy. Also did some XC in Freund canyon but there is logging going on so ask at the bike shop the best way to approach

Wenatchee:
Sage Hills: parked off of Fifth st/Sage Hill Dr. trail head. Very smooth flowing singletrack. Rode a bunch of random trails. All were fun and smooth.

Winthrop:
Buck Mt.: Good 20kmish xc ride. Great views.

All was very good. Excited to go back to all but especially Winthrop to hit Angel's Staircase and Cutthroat.

May 13, 2014, 12:01 p.m.

Leavenworth:
Xanadu was super fun. Big berms with little hits.
Rosy Boa: another ridge run also super fun. Less technical than xanadu but both aren't too crazy. Also did some XC in Freund canyon but there is logging going on so ask at the bike shop the best way to approach

Wenatchee:
Sage Hills: parked off of Fifth st/Sage Hill Dr. trail head. Very smooth flowing singletrack. Rode a bunch of random trails. All were fun and smooth.

Winthrop:
Buck Mt.: Good 20kmish xc ride. Great views.

All was very good. Excited to go back to all but especially Winthrop to hit Angel's Staircase and Cutthroat.

Angel's Staircase is an awesome ride. We were moving at a pretty decent pace, and it still took longer than we had anticipated.
Devil's gulch/Red Hills area is also fantastic.

May 15, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

Had a fun few days down south of the border. The wild flowers are amazing right now.

LOve that area. I used to whitewater kayak down there . The wenatchee river is one hella fun river.
Always wondered about trails there..

May 15, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

Great riding in Winthrop. Used to drive up from Coeur d' Alene all the time to race up there. Great memories. Almost ran into a cow on the trail once. : )

May 15, 2014, 6:59 p.m.

Other solid rides in the Winthrop area include Starvation Mountain to Lightning Creek, Tiffany Mountain, and Uno Peak. I ride Winthrop during the first week of August nearly every year. I think Starvation is generally rideable in June (it’s all kinds of dry by August), Tiffany in early July, and Uno about the same time as Angels Staircase. Angels is only a guarantee in August and most of September, but with the snow pack this year, and the predicted hot weather, it may very well dry out early. If Angels is still under snow when you’re there, it’s still worth a trek up to Cooney Lake, descending Foggy doo. Awesome country!

May 19, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

Other solid rides in the Winthrop area include Starvation Mountain to Lightning Creek, Tiffany Mountain, and Uno Peak.

I get stoked hearing anyone rides Uno Peak anymore. That is a great ride!
FYI- when I last rode it, late summer 2012, the last descent had tons of trees down- looks like a slide zone. Hopefully it got cleaned up last year.