From The Inside Out

Oct. 31, 2011, 4:10 p.m.

Over $500 raised for the local builders. Big thanks to my loamy homies the Coastal Crew and 2nd base films for the injection of cash for new tools and mesh etc.

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

Oct. 31, 2011, 5:11 p.m.

That was you!? Dammit I was 1 number away! 029 haha! Congrats

so close but so far!!!!!!

:)

Nov. 2, 2011, 9:10 p.m.

Holy fricking awesometowmn!!

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Nov. 3, 2011, 7:54 p.m.

We put on the Victoria premiere last night and it was super packed. I've got a few watches of the film under my belt now, time for a review.

This video is aimed at people who ride bikes and the cinematography puts the riding first, not the sunset. It's not for your mother (Life Cycles) or your 11 year old nephew (NWD), and they probably won't like it. Semenuk, Steve Smith, and Kenny Smith have totally insane sections. Semenuk especially, with some seriously next level shit: nose manual to bars, frontflip bars, and tons of other stuff I won't spoil the surprise of. Nuts.

The rest of the film is good, but a bit flat. Nothing against the rest of the riders, they all shred, but there just wasn't the same "holy shit" factor. Such a shame about Graham Agassiz hurting himself and not getting a full section. I also HATE the stupid "tree wipe" transitions. Finally, the whole film is paced backwards without any sort of ramping up in the sections; Semenuks section is 2nd in the vid, not last like it should be, and ends on a large but casual double whip after firing off tons of totally unheard-of stuff before it. Weird. Almost makes me think they wanted to avoid "banger" structure. All I know is that everyone I talked to after the premiere was like "holy shit, great movie, kinda let down at the end."

Regardless, this is the first bike movie I've actually REALLY enjoyed in years. I'm talking on SHIFT/RTTH levels. Super well done, buy it.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Nov. 5, 2011, 12:03 p.m.

….

Regardless, this is the first bike movie I've actually REALLY enjoyed in years. I'm talking on SHIFT/RTTH levels. Super well done, buy it.

Now I am all fired up. RTTH is still unreal.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 16, 2011, 8:56 a.m.

saw the ubc premier last night and i gotta say i was pretty disappointed

a lot of that might have been the showing: small theatre with a dinky desktop projector and the sound was terrible - too quiet, and the only words i could make out by anyone other than semenuk (not sure how that inveterate mumbler ended up being the only intelligible person) were "train" and "stoked" - but good enough to determine that the soundtrack was weak: unremarkable electronic track after unremarkable electronic track added nothing to the film; at one early point someone in the audience wondered aloud whether they hadn't forgotten to turn on the sound and we were just hearing the noise from the club downstairs. and then someone on screen started mumbling…

the second half of semenuk's set was INSANE - not sure why it wasn't the last segment? - and kenny smith's segment blew my mind, but while the riding was unassailable the filming and editing was pretty uninspired, and as a result most of the segments were weak: aggy looked to be riding some crazy lines but his segment was short and the filming was meh; prince george and squamish segments were dull (whip whip yawn whip whip whip whip yawn whip), waaaaaay too much filler and build up for the 1st train gap; mike hopkins hit the same hip what 15 times (whip whip yawn whip whip whip whip yawn whip); somehow they even managed to make matt hunter and vandersteez's riding look boring. steve smith was insanely fast but imho dh riding is best featured on a real dh course, not on smooth featureless trails. overall there was waaaay too much focus on roosting corners and framing or obscuring shots with trees. top three moments of the evening included the girl who dropped into the worm from a handstand on stage, not a good sign

maybe i need to see this again (and again) to be able to digest and appreciate the riding without being distracted by crap sound, unoriginal shots and superfastediting but last night's showing definitely didn't make me want to pony up for a copy of the dvd

sigh. sorry to be a downer

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 16, 2011, 9:12 a.m.

disagree, I liked it!

Nov. 16, 2011, 9:16 a.m.

thats a pretty harsh review.

i have seen it 2x now and i thought it was really good. the music isnt exactly my genre but it never really is with these things. first effort film probably a thimble budget.. i thought they did a great job and i'm looking forward to the next one..

Nov. 16, 2011, 9:34 a.m.

If you watched a Coastal Crew production and complained about bassy electronic tracks and artistic filming, I think you approached it wrong.

It's a shame the sound was so bad in that theatre though. I think we have come (fairly) to expect clear, loud sound rather than quiet AND muffled when we go to a theatre.

While all of Semenuk's bangers were out of the bag early, I took that as a HOLY SHIT WE WON CRANKWORX fuck yeah.

Amazing filming locations and loud music that doesn't hurt my eardrums to listen to; I'll gladly crank my home stereo and watch this some more times.

Now it's time to revisit this photo set and wait for the DVD to come along…

flickr

Nov. 16, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

boomforeal's review is honest so can't fault him for it. I agree on a lot of what he says but the movie was still great. It sucks that the sound was bad (that happened to us at the BCIT Life Cycles premiere) because the soundtrack really makes a movie and without a good sound system to hear the bass and beats it's just not as good…. The whistler premiere was solid and the soundtrack sounded great! The overall feel of the movie was excellent so maybe if you see it in a proper environment you will warm up to it.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nov. 16, 2011, 11:54 a.m.

The sound definitely sucked but the tracks were decent I think. I was just happy there wasn't any garbage punk tracks (not saying punk is garbage but, well, most of it is).

I thought the filming in the intro was possibly the best in the film - so it may have let me down slightly there. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, though not the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Oh, and the super loud guy - 5% amusing and 95% tool.

Nov. 16, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

kenny smith
kenny smith
kenny smith
opening segment
steve smith
semenuk after the interlude

rest was filleresque

Nov. 20, 2011, 11:55 p.m.

The more I think about it, Semenuks step up nose wheelie bar spin out was greasier than a Stolichnaya sludgepot!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 5, 2011, 12:54 p.m.

Finally saw this thru iTunes. Wow. Just a kickass movie done fairly low key with minimal budget. The editing kept the flow going throughout the whole show. I loved they visited some old bangers from back in the day - this should have been continued more throughout. Vanderham's part was a little disappointing though but it looks like they only had a day or two with him. It ends kind of abruptly but it's a flick with style that you can watch over again.

Best part of the movie was no cloud lapses or pushing a bike up a hill for the opening shot. Just straight in to rad riding.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 5, 2011, 1:33 p.m.

purchased this and Porters new 3-minute gaps films on the weekend @ Cove..

havent had a chance to view em yet, but i was glad to help suport those few crews that are still making MTB films in this day n age, and willing to press actual copies instead of just digital versions..

im kinda partial to DH race footage so im gunna guess ill like 3-minute gaps better but until i view both i wont know..