Focus group

Would you pay for a personalized mtb shoot?

Yes
66.7%
No way
33.3%
Total votes: 6
Sept. 24, 2017, 9:30 a.m.

So. I've asked Cam's permission to post this before I get my arms torn off.

Lately, I've been asked to shoot a few adventure based weddings and I get inundated with requests for photos if I'm seen trailside at a fiver.

It got me thinking about starting a new end to my business thats focussed on bespoke photoshoots for mountain bikers. I'm just wondering if it's something you'd all be interested in...

We've all got photos of ourselves taken by our buddies or even purchased ones from the trailside photo guy in whistler but what about buying a few hours of time so you could get something that you want to hang on your wall? The benefit of the bespoke shoot is you get to pick the trail and have a few goes at it to get the best frame.

My question is do you guys/gals see this as something you'd pay for? Right now, I've priced it out at $300 for an individual or $600 for a group of 3. For that price you get 3-4 hours of shooting and a guarantee of 5 fully processed hi-res photos to do with as you please.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Last edited by: DaveSmith on Sept. 24, 2017, 10:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 25, 2017, 10:29 a.m.

I buy 1-2 photos from the Whistler Bike Park every year as they make for nice memories, screen saver and "look at me" social media material, but I'm not sure I would pony up $300 for a personal shoot. For me, the trails I would want high quality photos on would be harder to get to alpine stuff.

Not saying the price isn't fair, totally is given the time, gear and skill involved, just saying I personally wouldn't go for it. I'm sure there is a market for this given how popular the bike park photo guys are.

Cheers

Sept. 25, 2017, 5:06 p.m.

I could definitely see this being applicable to tourists. That being said I'd love to see shots from myself at the fivers or another race; but that's another business model altogether.

Sept. 27, 2017, 12:16 p.m.

Good feedback, thanks. I don't think of those Fiver or even the coast mountain photo shots as anything more than profile photo worthy applications. It's more for people who want something where you try to get the best image possible as a keepsake. Like I said, the end product being something you hang on your wall rather than post to FB or IG.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Sept. 27, 2017, 1:13 p.m.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but have you ever considered offering a mountain bike photography clinic?

I did one with Dan Barham in Whitehorse years ago, and even longer ago two with Seb Rogers in the UK and the French Alps. All three were very good trips, I learned a lot, met great people, rode awesome trails, and came home with a bunch of good photos (also of myself, taken by other students).

Just an idea.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Sept. 27, 2017, 1:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 27, 2017, 7:54 p.m.

I haven't as I'm not of the teaching frame of mind. I did Dan's class a few years back and it was worth it for sure but I don't have his patience.

Sept. 27, 2017, 8:07 p.m.

I buy Coast photos every year, a handful out of probably 50-100.  I've thought about hiring them for a session at the Oakley Step-up, but in the end I never do because I just don't think it'd be "worth it".

I'm probably the demographic you'd be targeting, but I'd struggle to pay for this.  That said, I've never posted a selfie to social media.  I suspect people in a similar situation as me, but post > 0 selfies would probably be very keen on this.

Sept. 29, 2017, 5:28 p.m.

I went biking with a buddy the other day and a photo friend of his joined us (I'm sure you guys know him, he did the latest fiver shoot). It was awesome to see some great pics of us riding the cypress gnar and they were so much better than the usual crap I post on instragram.

The price you are suggesting may seem a little steep to some people but I think that its worth the cost after this little photo session. I've now got a couple of images that I'm really pleased with and can show to other non riders and they finally understand the kind of riding I'm into and how dam difficult it can be at times.

I think there are plenty of opportunities to cater for the visitors to the shore and those people looking for a great birthday gift for someone in their lives who loves to ride.

My pics from the weekend. Cheers Pete if you are reading this!!!

Sept. 30, 2017, 10:36 a.m.

In the past I've considered doing something like this.  Then I wonder what is actually photo worthy and the logistical nightmare of trying to get to enough "bangers"in a day to make it worthy.

Oct. 3, 2017, 2:54 p.m.

We hired a photographe

Posted by: DaveSmith

Good feedback, thanks. I don't think of those Fiver or even the coast mountain photo shots as anything more than profile photo worthy applications. It's more for people who want something where you try to get the best image possible as a keepsake. Like I said, the end product being something you hang on your wall rather than post to FB or IG.

We hired a Photographer for a day for my stag- catskiing trip. Have two of those shots framed on the wall at home, super high quality pix.

Think we payed 500 for the day and he got so many good shots. A great way to remember a killer trip.

Oct. 15, 2017, 8:53 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I went biking with a buddy the other day and a photo friend of his joined us (I'm sure you guys know him, he did the latest fiver shoot). It was awesome to see some great pics of us riding the cypress gnar and they were so much better than the usual crap I post on instragram.

The price you are suggesting may seem a little steep to some people but I think that its worth the cost after this little photo session. I've now got a couple of images that I'm really pleased with and can show to other non riders and they finally understand the kind of riding I'm into and how dam difficult it can be at times.

I think there are plenty of opportunities to cater for the visitors to the shore and those people looking for a great birthday gift for someone in their lives who loves to ride.

My pics from the weekend. Cheers Pete if you are reading this!!!

Those are great photos but Wild Cherry without full pads? And if doing it once isn’t enough, doing some of the hard lines twice (or more)? Cherry Bomb too? I’m glad you made it out alive!

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">My view on the topic - It’s the right price for the service based upon similar photographer offerings I’ve seen but there are a couple things working against you. </span>

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Demographic tends not to be the one that will spend a few hundred for photos. Higher young person component who would rather spend that money on a GoPro and upload POVs. That money means you want to put something up on the wall and I’m not sure that dem fits. </span>

Bringing photo gear into the woods can become a big production. I have a (now old) pro photo set up Nikon D3 with lenses and all the gear and it’s a handful haul to around. I brought it everywhere for years and have some incredible and very special photos of when I did, but it’s too much to haul around so my iPhone makes due now. When you look at access to some trail spots it’s not simple  

Big production. I’ve bought Photos from WBP of my son before and I’d consider buying if me, but I think that it’s the kids who are more likely to want a photo of themselves but they’re also the ones least likely to cough up the dough. The guys with some dough are probably not looking for photos of themselves. Youd do better where kids are involved and you can speak to their parents. I’d feel very weird hiring someone to take photos of me unless it was some spectacular trip and the photog was to document that. 

But I have a friend who is a photo buff and a car freak who I met back in my race track days at Mosport. He was in high school then and he showed up at the track and took photos and if you wanted them you could buy them for $50 each or something. He then started getting hired by track guys with lots of dough to take pictures of them in their Ferrari’s on the track for tons of money per day. Some of those guys have jets so he did jet shoots too. And some are real estate and corporate guys and so he branches into that. It all started by showing up and peddling some photos to people who 1) were passionate about the photos, 2) had lots of money that the price wasn’t an issue, 3)no doubt he was a good photographer but even more so, people liked him and wanted him to succeed so they hired him for all kinds Of stuff beyond his first market. 

He is still a kid - probably 30ish now but he has built something fantastic. He goes across the globe to document unbelievable car adventures. Yachts. Jets. It’s insane. He has now started his own magazine that is focused on the people behind the cars - and it’s fantastic. I think he makes decent dough but he has the best lifestyle of anyone I know. 

So taking a few pictures for a primed market can lead to some awesome things. I think that it would be easier for you to start with a tour group or guides where it’s spread out over a group - you’re  more likely to have a person want to buy a photo or two than think that hiring a photographer to follow them around on trails isn’t a little too self important.

Oct. 15, 2017, 6:20 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Those are great photos but Wild Cherry without full pads? And if doing it once isn’t enough, doing some of the hard lines twice (or more)? Cherry Bomb too? I’m glad you made it out alive!

Thanks!

I have a metal plate in my arm, a screw in my wrist and a wire in my collarbone, all on the same side. I can't wear protection on that side as its restricts blood flow and causes me all sorts of pain. So I ride without. Its funny though, once you do those lines a few times they become normal and pretty easy really.

As for the photography idea, I'd just give it go. Like you said, you just never know where it can lead.

Last edited by: Kieran on Oct. 15, 2017, 6:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.