Canon Launches 1D mk IV

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:04 p.m.

Nelson, as I said before, if your car could fly would that make it any less of a car?

Yeah actually, it would make it a mediocre plane that's also mediocre to drive on the road.

A flying car will never be as good as a plane, the same way that a still cameras will never be as good at shooting video, as a dedicated video camera.

As a hobbyist photographer/indie film maker it's a really cool feature. But if someone hires you (read: Professional) to shoot video for a commercial and you show up with a $5000 camera instead of an Arri or Panavision then you're going to get laughed at.

How many professional photographers are going to waste their time shooting video of something newsworthy if they need to be submitting 300ppi .tif files for print?

I'm gonna save my pennies for a 1Ds MK3…

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:18 p.m.

Yeah actually, it would make it a mediocre plane that's also mediocre to drive on the road.

A flying car will never be as good as a plane, the same way that a still cameras will never be as good at shooting video, as a dedicated video camera.

As a hobbyist photographer/indie film maker it's a really cool feature. But if someone hires you (read: Professional) to shoot video for a commercial and you show up with a $5000 camera instead of an Arri or Panavision then you're going to get laughed at.

How many professional photographers are going to waste their time shooting video of something newsworthy if they need to be submitting 300ppi .tif files for print?

I'm gonna save my pennies for a 1Ds MK3…

I think the whole video thing is more of a bonus feature…not necessarily meant to be a professional tool. If the camera I need for my professional business happens to have video, then cool! I don't mind having the ability to shoot a mini-flick here or there. It doesn't really seem to be raising the price of cameras either, so as far as I'm concerned, keep bringing the video.

Also, I am sure Nikon and Canon are preparing for the future of RED cameras. Everyone must evolve to keep up.

Oct. 21, 2009, 11:53 p.m.

I tried to find these photos - where are they and are there any more for comparison?

There is definitely some funny business going on the new Canon. All of their preliminary images and videos have been removed, including the video from Vincent's blog…that being said, the sample images of their high ISO shots are laughable…is it a joke? Supposedly this Canon shot was from a pre-production model, but then again, so is the shot from the D3S. I wouldn't break out your wallets for the 1D4…Nikon reigns supreme again in my opinion.

102,400 ISO from the 1DM4: what the hell is that????

102,400 ISO from the Nikon D3S: noisy, but could make a usable b[HTML_REMOVED]w.

Oct. 22, 2009, 8:27 p.m.

I tried to find these photos - where are they and are there any more for comparison?

They were on a CNET blog, but have since been removed due to Canon's request. I actually emailed the CNET reporter who posted the photos, and they said the images were straight from the 1DSMk4. He said Canon has been contacting anyone with any sample images or videos and has told them to remove them from blogs, webpages, etc until further notice. Obviously something is screwed up. Not the best marketing strategy though…send your first few cameras to your sponsored shooters, then remove all the work they have shot with it…hmmm…

Oct. 22, 2009, 9:17 p.m.

1DS mk4 ?
or 1D mk 4 ?

If it is the S version the production model will be a ways away, whereas the 1d mkIV will be retail in Dec.

They were on a CNET blog, but have since been removed due to Canon's request. I actually emailed the CNET reporter who posted the photos, and they said the images were straight from the 1DSMk4. He said Canon has been contacting anyone with any sample images or videos and has told them to remove them from blogs, webpages, etc until further notice. Obviously something is screwed up. Not the best marketing strategy though…send your first few cameras to your sponsored shooters, then remove all the work they have shot with it…hmmm…

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Oct. 24, 2009, 8:09 a.m.

this is similar to the dual sport thing on motos.

they are neither dirt bikes nor street bikes and dont excel at either. Do they have their place, yes.

If I were a photog, I would be stoked if my slr shot video, but not if it intruded in the technology for shooting stills, or got me hassled at events I was working at.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Oct. 24, 2009, 9:55 a.m.

1DS mk4 ?
or 1D mk 4 ?

If it is the S version the production model will be a ways away, whereas the 1d mkIV will be retail in Dec.

Sorry, meant to say 1DMKIV, not 1DSMKIV

Oct. 24, 2009, 10:37 p.m.

So if i want to buy a 5d which mark is best?

Oct. 25, 2009, 4:26 a.m.

Not anymore. The scene has changed a lot, and it's amazing how many people are rocking up with 5d's to shoot alongside RED, Pannys, Arriflex or the digital equivalents like Genesis. a 5d will get into tighter spaces, in some instances provide some amazing DOF characteristics and still manage perfectly well alongside these industry-proven camera systems.

If I were a producer I would laugh harder if they rocked up with a FX1, HVX or XHA1.

Flickr

Oct. 25, 2009, 7:22 a.m.

If I were a producer I would laugh harder if they rocked up with a FX1, HVX or XHA1.

Double true!
Rocking two 5Dmk2's, i'll only pull out the old Z1 when really necessary. But when it comes out people ask the strangest questions?

Oct. 27, 2009, 12:45 a.m.

Not anymore. The scene has changed a lot, and it's amazing how many people are rocking up with 5d's to shoot alongside RED, Pannys, Arriflex or the digital equivalents like Genesis. a 5d will get into tighter spaces, in some instances provide some amazing DOF characteristics and still manage perfectly well alongside these industry-proven camera systems.

thank you.

Where's battle cat on this, coming from a filmer who's rocking a 5dmk2 for weddings I'm interested in his thoughts.

the new high end camera's have the same or better quality then vid cameras worth WAY more, plus no need for a 20lb tri-pod etc etc.

for any event or gathering the new DSLR with HD vid are a great option, the big limiting thing right not is it's a pretty slow frame rate, but really do you need super slow mo for a wedding?

I think for a "prosumer" kind of level DLSR's are awesome for video, are they gonna shoot a starwars budget movie with one? of course not. But Nelson, can you really condem them that much? credit needs to be given where due.

As I've said I'd rather have to two separate, but shit happens. It's the same thing as when digital SLRs started dropping. A lot of the older pros didn't wanna adapt.

Side thing, but I was reading in a Magazine that a crew is doing a full production on a Western Movie, and filming only with 5dmk2's

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Oct. 27, 2009, 9:25 a.m.

the new high end camera's have the same or better quality then vid cameras worth WAY more, plus no need for a 20lb tri-pod etc etc.

for any event or gathering the new DSLR with HD vid are a great option, the big limiting thing right not is it's a pretty slow frame rate, but really do you need super slow mo for a wedding?

well, i dunno about skipping a tripod. most of the film will be shakey unless mounted, as you will need to be manually focusing for movements etc. have a look at some of the reviews online (i have a D90 with video)

Oct. 27, 2009, 9:50 a.m.

I meant you can use a lighter photo tripod with a 3 way head versus the larger Video ones.

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Jan. 6, 2010, 5:24 p.m.

So if i want to buy a 5d which mark is best?

How much $$$ do you have? Buy the most expensive thing you can, it's the best - by definition

http://www.scottvelez.com

Jan. 7, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

i wonder if the focusing will work on this model unlike the last mk. Nikon is moving farther ahead all the time. Nikon has some glass that can not be touched by canon aka the 14-24 and the new 24-70 is amazing on the nikon side. not to mention nikon flash system is years ahead of canon.

Builder of Little Bastard