Canon HV30 VS. JVC GZ-HD7 (video)

Aug. 21, 2008, 7:48 p.m.

Hey, so I'm looking to buy a new video camera and am torn between two choices. The JVC GZ-HD7 I have some experiance with as I used one to film the webvideos I did for Ross a few months ago…(http://vimeo.com/1133487) While i really liked it and the hard drive idea, reviews for it don't seem to great… However, reviews for the canon seem excellent so I'm wondering if its that much better… I'm just worried about using tapes. Are they going to become extinct soon?
I can get both for a similar price so thats not an issue…
Any help would be appriciated!
thanks
Cam

PS My main use would be for filming MTBs in the woods so low light performance is the main concern…

Aug. 21, 2008, 8:12 p.m.

Don't don't don't buy the JVC!
It uses 1/5 sensors, which are just plain bad. imagine a DLSR thats 6 crop instead of full frame or 1.6 crop.

The HV30 is 1/2.7, which makes a HUGE difference. (and gives you MUCH shallower Depth of field, less noise, more lattitude - less blown out whites or crushed blacks) The codec it uses to compress it's video is better, the sensor resolution is higher, and its more reliable, and a better brand to go with in terms of compatibility.

HDD is a bad choice, because all HDD cameras use bad compression which ruins the image, its more prone to be erased through a heavy shock to the camera. the list goes on. Tape is STILL the best choice for a high end consumer video camera.

Flickr

Aug. 21, 2008, 9:12 p.m.

HV30 has 24p!
watch out for the CMOS censors though.

Aug. 21, 2008, 10:46 p.m.

HV30 has 24p!
watch out for the CMOS censors though.

Nothing wrong with the CMOS sensor, you just need to learn to work with it. Don't pan to quickly and choose your shutter speed wisely and everything will be fine.

Aug. 22, 2008, 12:10 a.m.

what olly Just said. i'd wait for the RED scarlet, i'm waiting for one myself.
i was telling my friend about JAmes jennard and his underground project and my buddy just laughed
at me, that was 2 years ago.. now he has 2 RED camera's in his living room hahaha i still give him shit.

Freeride, Its whats for dinner

www.thevishfiles.com
www.ninjai.com
www.karmakula.com

Aug. 22, 2008, 9:23 p.m.

Nothing wrong with the CMOS sensor, you just need to learn to work with it. Don't pan to quickly and choose your shutter speed wisely and everything will be fine.

true enough, but if he's filming mountain biking, chances are alot of the times it will be hand held with alot of panning shots. yes you can work around it, just have to adapt to it. i'm not disagreeing with you at all :)

holding out for the scarlet might be a good idea if you can afford it down the road.

another alternative later on down the road if you decide to save more money up is panasonics hmc150. records to SD cards and i think you only need class 4 SD cards to record the highest recording codec in the camera.

Aug. 24, 2008, 7:37 p.m.

K looks like its gonna be the HV30 that I'll get. Do I need to use HDV tapes?. I can re use the tapes right?