Best deal you've seen for the Nikon D70(s)?

Feb. 7, 2006, 4:42 p.m.

I'm looking for a D70, D70s, or D50, and I've found a D70s package with lens and 256MB card for $589.00USD. Has anyone seen a better deal/wants to sell me there DSLR?

Also, I just missed a D70 kit at Kerrisdale for $700 :(

Thanks in advance.

Feb. 7, 2006, 4:53 p.m.

I was wondering what web site you found that price on??? Ive read on some photography forums that there are a few sites that are scamming people… and that sounds like one of them. That price is significantly lower than other online retailers which should be the first sign that something isnt quite right… I found a site that was selling the d50 body for about 350 which is about 150 dollars less than known reputable online reatailers such as www.adorama.com and www.bhphotovideo.com

I would look at these places and see what kind of package deal you can get from them (p.s. all of those prices are in USD)

Feb. 7, 2006, 5 p.m.

take a look at http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/ before you buy any cameras from a new york or new jersey based internet store :D

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Feb. 7, 2006, 5:36 p.m.

yeah ive been looking at d50 kits
if the price seems too good to be true it is.
im pretty sure that they take the batt,charger etc out and try to scam you on that part.
im assuming the d70 at kerrisdale was used for 700 bucks
i think the cheapest youre gonna get a d50 kit for is around 500 us. any cheaper and it starts getting sketchy

brokezors

Feb. 7, 2006, 5:47 p.m.

Yeah, the D70 was used.

Here's the site with the suspicious deal on the new D70 package:

http://www.century21electronics.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=229992[HTML_REMOVED]display=1#-2-(18-50-[HTML_REMOVED]-55-200)-PLUS-EXTRAS.html

Feb. 7, 2006, 5:49 p.m.

So far one of the better retailers I've seen recommended on a photo forum is KEH
Every once in a while they have a used outfit listed for pretty reasonable prices:
$751 USD for a D70 kit now, or 718 for a D50 kit

Please try and keep up - it's no fun having a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
- Nat

Feb. 7, 2006, 5:51 p.m.

it doesnt say it comes with a batt or charger so im assuming its not included plus http://www.pricerunner.com/retailer/18020/reviews
it looks to be in the same line of trying to fuck people over. and you might not be getting a us camera = grey market= no warrenty

brokezors

Feb. 7, 2006, 5:52 p.m.

So far one of the better retailers I've seen recommended on a photo forum is KEH
Every once in a while they have a used outfit listed for pretty reasonable prices:

720 for a used d50 or new kit is a rip

brokezors

Feb. 7, 2006, 6:09 p.m.

they have d50s at costcos for 800

Feb. 7, 2006, 6:16 p.m.

at costco there 889*

brokezors

Feb. 7, 2006, 6:33 p.m.

well it doesn't include the memory card, and it's non-usa.

Decent deal anyway though.

Feb. 7, 2006, 7:03 p.m.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Eastern European peddling skills conquer, New York
Combining Hasidism with the latest in electronics, B[HTML_REMOVED]H Photo-Video is an authentic New York enterprise

AP , NEW YORK
Sunday, Dec 04, 2005,Page 12

A salesperson waits on custumers at B[HTML_REMOVED]H Photo-Video's digital express counter in New York last Sunday. The devout Jews who work at this landmark photo resource have one singular mission when they arrive here: They walk with God, but their business is cameras - except of course on the Sabbath or important Jewish holidays.
PHOTO: AP
Every morning except on Saturday, the buses stop at a bustling corner of Manhattan, and bearded men in dark suits and felt hats, some clutching prayer books and speaking Yiddish, step onto the sidewalk and disappear into a brick building.

But this is not a yeshiva or synagogue.

This is B[HTML_REMOVED]H Photo-Video, one of the biggest and most famous camera stores in the world.

On any given day, 8,000 to 9,000 people pass through the front door a block from Madison Square Garden.

Known as "Beards and Hats" because of the many Hasidic Jews who work there, B[HTML_REMOVED]H has become an authentic New York experience. Shopping there is akin to ordering a pastrami on rye at Katz's Delicatessen.

It is a loud and frenetic scene that involves fast-moving lines of customers, all pushing and elbowing to reach the cash registers. Above the many bearded cashiers, conveyor belts move merchandise from one counter to the next.

"I live in Minnesota and the sensibility is not always Midwes-tern," said Alec Soth, a photographer with the legendary Magnum agency and a B[HTML_REMOVED]H customer for a decade.

"It was a skill that they brought with them. They knew about buying and selling."

Jonathan Sarna, professor of American-Jewish history at Brandeis University
"It's a little more abrupt. But they're cheap and they have a huge selection," he said.

For many, the store has become indispensable. If you can't find it elsewhere, B[HTML_REMOVED]H probably has it. When NASA needed a rare lens years ago, it turned to B[HTML_REMOVED]H.

"They are the 500kg gorilla in the photo specialty business," said Greg Scoblete, an editor at Twice, a trade publication that covers the consumer-electronics industry.

But don't expect any miracles when you walk into B[HTML_REMOVED]H. Asked recently when the hot-selling iPod nano would be in stock, a salesman laughed and said: "When the Messiah comes, and then he's going to want one."

B[HTML_REMOVED]H executives refuse to discuss sales figures at the privately held company.

Ask how many cameras B[HTML_REMOVED]H sells every year and Herschel Jacobowitz, the company's chief information officer and business director, answers: "How many quarts of water are in the Hudson?"

Ask how business is going and you get this: Baruch Hashem, or "Blessed be God" - meaning, roughly, "Thanks to God, things are good." (Store Manager Eli Daskal said he has always been told that the name B[HTML_REMOVED]H comes from Baruch Hashem.)

One indication of B[HTML_REMOVED]H's success that cannot be concealed sits in the Brooklyn Naval Yard: a nearly 80,000m2 warehouse that feeds its online division, which represents about 70 percent of B[HTML_REMOVED]H's business.

B[HTML_REMOVED]H began in lower Manhattan in 1973. To some, the venture probably seemed like an unusual blend: Hasidism, a form of mystical ultra-Orthodox Judaism whose adherents look and dress like their 18th-century Eastern European ancestors, and the latest in electronics.

But the pairing made perfect sense, said Jonathan Sarna, a professor of American-Jewish history at Brandeis University. In Europe before World War II, Orthodox Jews and Hasidim in particular worked as peddlers, and after the Holocaust, many came to the US.

"It was a skill that they brought with them," Sarna said. "They knew about buying and selling. In the case of the Hasidim, many of them also came with these commercial skills and they looked around for a good product."

Since moving to its current location in 1997, B[HTML_REMOVED]H has expanded rapidly, advertising aggressively on the radio.

Already, B[HTML_REMOVED]H has outgrown its giant store. By April, B[HTML_REMOVED]H executives hope to double the retail space.

The company employs 800 to 900 people, many of them religious Jews. The store closes each Friday afternoon until Sunday in observance of the Sabbath, and on about a half-dozen Jewish holidays each year.

Richard Spiess, 34, a salesman at B[HTML_REMOVED]H for two-and-a-half years, said there are some advantages to being non-Jewish in such a heavily Jewish environment.

"We get a lot of nice holidays off," he said.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Feb. 7, 2006, 8:10 p.m.

well neways atleast i have found a decent price from a reputable store
im getting the d50 kit w/ 18-55 and 55-200 from costco for 830 us

brokezors

Feb. 7, 2006, 9:33 p.m.

I've bought Nikon lenses and flashes from www.bhphotovideo.com and www.jr.com both are reputable and seem to have the better prices.

06 The Gathering Photos

Northwest Dirt Culture Video

Feb. 8, 2006, 4:29 p.m.

decided to go this route instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem[HTML_REMOVED]item=7587015858[HTML_REMOVED]ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D7587015858%26fvi%3D1

I discovered that my Nikon film lens will work with a dslr so now I'm set :)