Zimmerman found not guilty..

July 15, 2013, 9:56 a.m.

If one person is beating up another to the point that they fear for their life, they are justified in protecting their most basic rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

So a kid walking back to his dad's house at night, being stalked by and armed man, subsequently confronted and held against his will, simply for the way he looked, has no right to defend himself? Sorry, but when I was younger I had two older kids pull over jump me on the side of the road, I hate to think that one of them could have shot and killed me because I fought back.

July 15, 2013, 10:24 a.m.

I kind of come down on both sides of this. His defense was valid under the 'stand your ground' law.

As a point of clarification, it’s my understanding that “stand your ground” was not part of the defense - NYTimes.

“Classic self-defense,” Mr. O’Mara said.

Soon after Mr. Zimmerman was arrested, there appeared to be a chance that the defense would invoke a provision of Florida self-defense law known as Stand Your Ground. Ultimately it was not part of Mr. O’Mara’s courtroom strategy, though it did play a pivotal role immediately after the shooting.

The provision, enacted by the Florida Legislature in 2005 and since adopted by more than 20 other states, allows people who fear great harm or death not to retreat, even if they can safely do so. If an attacker is retreating, people are still permitted to use deadly force.

Mr. O’Mara said he did not rely on Stand Your Ground as a defense because Mr. Zimmerman had no option to retreat.

July 15, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

He is Mexican you fucking moron.

The name Zimmerman gives that away.

And since when did Mexicans come from Peru?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 15, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

I hope that alien invasion is coming soon because humans are too fucking stupid to run this planet.
- Me, 2013

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

How can the outcome of this possibly effect my family? I'll go back to my community involvement, going to do some trail maintenance later today, and clean up from the family camping trip.

But that's just my opinion of no relevance close to home. WHat's yours, Cam?

Dearest Zed,

Only considering what directly affects you or those closest to you is what causes nimbyism, family feuds and the sort of small-minded, paranoid thinking that had Zimmerman follow Trayvon in the first place.

I'm straight but I care about gay marriage. I'm white but I care about minority rights. I'm a man but I care about violence against women. I'm Canadian but I care about civil rights all over the world. I am treated fairly in most circumstances but I care about justice for those who are mistreated because they are vulnerable. I got a speeding warning from a cop the other day while someone nearby was apparently smoking a joint - so it stunk of weed as he was talking to me through the window. We were packed for a family vacation and it wasn't clear where the odour was coming from but he didn't search our vehicle. Would a native Canadian receive the same benefit of the doubt? Pretty unlikely.

I applaud you for acting locally. And if you'd prefer not to think globally that's your business - but those who aren't informed beyond who Kanye is fucking or who is leading the NHL points race often vote. They have an impact on those of us who take the time to inform ourselves and talk about issues. Our neighbours to the south are a great example of how an uninformed portion of the populace impacts an entire nation. Ever seen those interviews at Tea Party rallies?

You have the right to inform yourself as you choose - but if you aren't informed about an issue and you comment on it you should expect a backlash. And then bend over to accept it with a smile.

Love you brother!

July 15, 2013, 10:47 a.m.

MODS … Cam said a bad language!

I'm so fucking going to report this.

Kn.

PS: agree 100% word for word.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 15, 2013, 10:52 a.m.

sorry

July 15, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

I usually just lol at NBR and roll my eyes at how conservative and racist a forum on an mtb website can be but I'll chime in here. Some of you dudes should just sign up at the NRA or Stormfront forums, I'm sure there's some very intelligent discussions to be had for you on there.

Sadly I can't say I'm surprised at the verdict. It still is and probably always will be a crime to be young, black and male in Amerikkka, 'specially in the south. Racism is woven into the fabric of the good ol' USA. Not to say it isn't in Canada or pretty much everywhere else.

If you think this is a first world problem and not a race issue you need to give your head a shake.

July 15, 2013, 11:50 a.m.

See, this is probably proof that it's a good thing I'm not a judge or jury member. Because I look at that fat head and the eyes-to-close-together and the first thing I think is "mall cop doing what he always wanted to do and can't wait to tell his mall cop friends about it."

Am I wrong?

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2013, 12:48 p.m.

we can only hope that someone starts following Zimmerman around and he gets his. Cuz hey, that's the law!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 15, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

The only reason this is even an issue is because it was blown out of proportion by national media and then exploited by idiots. If you recall he was arrested, released and the local PA declined to bring charges in the first place because it was a weak case. The only reason a special prosecutor was brought in and they filed the ludicrous 2nd degree murder charge was public pressure and media hype. If you really care about civil rights and the rule of law I'd think you'd be incensed at the idea that what we consider "media" decided to make a circus out of a tragedy, and subverting the local justice system to placate a bunch of morons who can't read the law. Considering that someone is killed every 20min or so in the US by gun violence its somewhat pathetic that this story took hold.

July 15, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2765660]
If you think this is a first world problem and not a race issue you need to give your head a shake.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on not only those who need to give thine head a shake, but also how this isn't a first world problem or a race issue (black vs a possibly jewish mexican - zimmerman is NOT a mexicana namo)?

If you're going to chime in, give us your insight.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 15, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

Considering that someone is killed every 20min or so in the US by gun violence its somewhat pathetic that this story took hold.

Not really.

As a two of us have said, a man stalked and killed child by a firearm after instigating. Perhaps Bettman has it right.

Whats pathetic is this: a white women gets nabbed from a bus stop across from a Police Dept in either Chicago or Detroit and raped mid afternoon. No national news there outcry there..

Peoples sample size is way off base.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 15, 2013, 2:13 p.m.

Could you elaborate on not only those who need to give thine head a shake, but also how this isn't a first world problem or a race issue (black vs a possibly jewish mexican - zimmerman is NOT a mexicana namo)?

If you're going to chime in, give us your insight.

The "First World Problem" comment I was referring to is earlier in the thread and has been discussed. Cam's already covered it well and my views line up with his.

The fact that Zimmerman isn't white doesn't negate that this is a race issue.

When you have the nerve to say this…

Because then he would've got his ass kicked AND his car stolen…

I can't be bothered to discuss anything more with you.

July 15, 2013, 2:25 p.m.

Dearest Zed,

Only considering what directly affects you or those closest to you is what causes nimbyism, family feuds and the sort of small-minded, paranoid thinking that had Zimmerman follow Trayvon in the first place.

I'm straight but I care about gay marriage. I'm white but I care about minority rights. I'm a man but I care about violence against women. I'm Canadian but I care about civil rights all over the world. I am treated fairly in most circumstances but I care about justice for those who are mistreated because they are vulnerable. I got a speeding warning from a cop the other day while someone nearby was apparently smoking a joint - so it stunk of weed as he was talking to me through the window. We were packed for a family vacation and it wasn't clear where the odour was coming from but he didn't search our vehicle. Would a native Canadian receive the same benefit of the doubt? Pretty unlikely.

I applaud you for acting locally. And if you'd prefer not to think globally that's your business - but those who aren't informed beyond who Kanye is fucking or who is leading the NHL points race often vote. They have an impact on those of us who take the time to inform ourselves and talk about issues. Our neighbours to the south are a great example of how an uninformed portion of the populace impacts an entire nation. Ever seen those interviews at Tea Party rallies?

You have the right to inform yourself as you choose - but if you aren't informed about an issue and you comment on it you should expect a backlash. And then bend over to accept it with a smile.

Love you brother!

Not having food is an issue. Corruption and violence in a country where my 'social values' MAY have a slight say is an issue. But not caring about what the US Press wants to currently brainwash their nation with is not my issue - it's apparently yours.

There is a murder every twenty minutes in the US - prepare to get informed and mock all those who don't care as much as you. While you have time for all that, I will have an impact where it matters most - influencing my children to not be gullible by bad/stupid people.

I agree with your other points, I accept your man love.

PS - I don't know who Kayne is and I don't watch sports, either.