Yoga

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:11 a.m.

So, any of you guys do it?

I've been looking into it for a while now and think it looks like a good way to get rid of some work stress and work on flexibility for riding.

For those of you that are into it, do you have any good resources for someone getting into it? Where did you learn the techniques? Studio? Books? DVD?

Thanks

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:37 a.m.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Find a class. An older instructor is better as they will have injured themselves a few times and know all the tricks to fixing the body. While a younger instructor will be more fun to watch, they will have less knowledge of technique.

After a few classes where you learn how to do it all properly, then videos/dvd's can help.

There are two main types - (from my experience) - "flow" yoga where you go from form to form relatively quickly and "slow" yoga where you perfect a form and hold it. My yogi practices Iyengar - also referred to as "furniture" yoga which is great for older, more beat up people. Despite popular belief, just holding some of the poses correctly is a pretty damn good work out. Yoga isn't all about relaxing and zenning and not working hard. After a good session you get some decent muscle burn, sweat and elevated heart rate.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:46 a.m.

I started taking (Vinyasa Flow) yoga early this year, and it's been incredible. I stopped getting the chronic shoulder ache I used to get, I feel fitter and have more energy. It's a great complement to riding for sure. Like Rewoga said, get a good instructor, it's hard to correct bad posing on your own, and you could easily hurt yourself if you don't know what you are doing.

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:47 a.m.

Check your local Rec Centre for classes. They're generally cheaper than the yoga studios and you still get great instructors. Hatha yoga is a good start. Once you get the idea, try some Vinyasa or "flow" yoga. And if you think all of that is too easy, try power yoga. I've often been sore (from muscle burn) on days following power yoga - so tough!

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:51 a.m.

take a look at pilates too. and don't forget that even simple strength training routine of 20min 3x/wk can have big payoffs not only for your riding but your general health as well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 20, 2011, 5:14 p.m.

Yoga….its not just for women.

See

Sept. 20, 2011, 5:58 p.m.

Iyengar (holding poses) is what I like. It's changed everything for me. You strive for alignment and deep stretching. You become acutely aware of your muscles and skeleton. And like someone has mentioned you'll be amazed by the workout. I remember when I started a couple years ago. I used to feel taller after every workout - sitting at a desk all day is crippling.
classes are fun but expensive.
this is an excellent video.

yoga

Sept. 20, 2011, 7:39 p.m.

I'm looking to get into it more. Tried hot yoga with my Girlfriend but I seriously question the health benefits of heat stroke. I'd like to find a good entry level yoga studio in a luke warm room that is somewhere near the 2nd Narrows bridge. I've broken my back twice, torn my achilles, several lateral metatorsals, I have a severed ACL and it hurts when I pee. So really I'm looking for something for middle aged men with lots of sports related injuries.

Any help?

Sept. 20, 2011, 8:55 p.m.

I go to Yogapod and I also use DVDs (Eoin Finn's series) several times a week. I'm hooked. It's changed everything in my life for the better including my ability to concentrate, my back issues (although they haven't yet disappeared), my riding ability, my ability to fall and avoid falling The list goes on.

I don't think it matters much what type of yoga you do to start as long as you start. Just go easy on yourself and if something hurts don't go so deep. I'm certain I'll be doing yoga for the rest of my days.

Here's a link to my yoga-focussed interview with Ryan Leech.

Sept. 20, 2011, 9:32 p.m.

I'm looking to get into it more. Tried hot yoga with my Girlfriend but I seriously question the health benefits of heat stroke. I'd like to find a good entry level yoga studio in a luke warm room that is somewhere near the 2nd Narrows bridge. I've broken my back twice, torn my achilles, several lateral metatorsals, I have a severed ACL and it hurts when I pee. So really I'm looking for something for middle aged men with lots of sports related injuries.

Any help?

Second this. I am in the same boat as far as old injuries. I have not broken my back though (YIKES!) and i would describe it as a burning when i pee:lol:
But for real,l would go just for the injury prevention, and rehabilitative benefits.
every one seems to agree that those are attainable. Its a good contrast to strength training/conditioning, cardio, and of course riding.
I do seriously question if i could concentrate in on of those classes filled with those succulent women. I may have to put blinders on so i can just see the instructor.

All the girls i know like Y yoga, but it hear it is uber expensive and what i said about blinders would apply in spades.

WTF, Over?

Sept. 20, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

It's changed everything in my life for the better including my ability to concentrate, my back issues (although they haven't yet disappeared),

Have you tried an inversion table?

Medical professionals will scoff, but its worked for me.

My blog - read it!

Sept. 20, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

I recommend it.

Mainly because lot's of women do it, and the clothing they like to wear arouses me.

gerewh0re

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.

Sept. 20, 2011, 11:14 p.m.

Have you tried an inversion table?

Medical professionals will scoff, but its worked for me.

I did. No love. My father-in-law has one that inverts you from the waist only - bending forward - and it gave me some relief. I haven't tried it over a long term though.

Sept. 21, 2011, 12:42 a.m.

Just starting a conditioning program that has Prasara Yoga as a vital part of the cycle….

Sept. 21, 2011, 8:16 a.m.

I did. No love. My father-in-law has one that inverts you from the waist only - bending forward - and it gave me some relief. I haven't tried it over a long term though.

Try one that holds your feet and puts you right upside down (a la batman).

Its been working for me.

Then again, hardly riding bikes has also helped a lot!!!

My blog - read it!