COVID-19

July 5, 2022, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

We were close twice, but maybe that is as good as it gets without closing the province off from the rest of the world. People couldn't even handle the masks so it would be next to impossible to maintain something like COVID zero for very long. The convoy is going to lose their truck nuts if we go back into full COVID mode now, so comfortable it is.

Like so many things in life, if everyone isn't on the same page then problems are bound to happen. I just hope that comfort today doesn't lead to disaster tomorrow. Another 3-4 years and we should know just what kind of a situation we are in.

Can't wait! /s

Last edited by: syncro on July 5, 2022, 4:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2022, 7:16 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Like so many things in life, if everyone isn't on the same page then problems are bound to happen. I just hope that comfort today doesn't lead to disaster tomorrow. Another 3-4 years and we should know just what kind of a situation we are in.

Can't wait! /s

Have you already forgotten how the “let’s all work together to end this” plays out?

Step 1:  We shelter in place and bang pots, wear masks.

Step 2:  20 somethings get bored, start partying.  Covid spreads.

Step 3:  Boomers say “Fuck your rules, I have money and I need my winter in Palm Springs”.  Covid spreads.

Step 4:  Anti science, anti-Vax morons scream “Masks are Tyranny!” and protest at hospitals because Freedumb!  Covid spreads.

Step 5:  The rest of us get fed up as we’ve done all the suggested things the entire time.

We can run that playbook again, but unless you’re calling for martial law, I don’t see it playing out any different.

July 5, 2022, 7:24 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Can't wait! /s

Have you already forgotten how the “let’s all work together to end this” plays out?

Step 1: We shelter in place and bang pots, wear masks.

Step 2: 20 somethings get bored, start partying. Covid spreads.

Step 3: Boomers say “Fuck your rules, I have money and I need my winter in Palm Springs”. Covid spreads.

Step 4: Anti science, anti-Vax morons scream “Masks are Tyranny!” and protest at hospitals because Freedumb! Covid spreads.

Step 5: The rest of us get fed up as we’ve done all the suggested things the entire time.

We can run that playbook again, but unless you’re calling for martial law, I don’t see it playing out any different.

Don't get me wrong, I agree about things playing out the way you've stated, but I do find it intriguing from a human behaviour perspective.

Edit: I'd add that in the beginning we knew far less and there was no vax, so it made sense to be overly precautious. Unfortunately even that did not work out well for people in long term care homes.

Last edited by: syncro on July 5, 2022, 7:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2022, 7:31 p.m.

I've been waiting for the rebuttals to the Tyee article to appear. This one from twitter takes a rather dim view of the Tyee article. I agree that there are questionable things in the article, but there are notable people saying that the article raises some important points. 

https://twitter.com/OmicronData/status/1544333493840318465

My general take is that we could be doing better, starting with things like Dr Henry and the BCCDC still refusing to acknowledge that covid is aerosol transmission. It's been over two years now and pretty much everyone else is on board with the idea that covid is primarily aerosol transmission. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/about-covid-19/how-it-spreads

July 11, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

I've been waiting for the rebuttals to the Tyee article to appear. This one from twitter takes a rather dim view of the Tyee article. I agree that there are questionable things in the article, but there are notable people saying that the article raises some important points. 

https://twitter.com/OmicronData/status/1544333493840318465

My general take is that we could be doing better, starting with things like Dr Henry and the BCCDC still refusing to acknowledge that covid is aerosol transmission. It's been over two years now and pretty much everyone else is on board with the idea that covid is primarily aerosol transmission. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/about-covid-19/how-it-spreads

Looking at the author I would think he is well qualified to write about COVID.  He is a science writer and is well respected.  He has authored two books on pandemics.  It seems odd that he strays from so many facts, but sometimes people try too hard to make sure the present supports their past work.  Having said that we still can't seem to land on how well masks work so there are a lot of unknowns. 

I think at this point we are just going to have to get those jabs and take our own personal precautions.  The world is way too fragile to push for people to stay home again.

July 14, 2022, 9:40 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Step 1:  We shelter in place and bang pots, wear masks.

Step 2:  20 somethings get bored, start partying.  Covid spreads.

Step 3:  Boomers say “Fuck your rules, I have money and I need my winter in Palm Springs”.  Covid spreads.

Step 4:  Anti science, anti-Vax morons scream “Masks are Tyranny!” and protest at hospitals because Freedumb!  Covid spreads.

Step 5:  The rest of us get fed up as we’ve done all the suggested things the entire time.

Well, I experienced Step 6 over the weekend.  A big group, out of town, MTB,  beer drinking campout with 35 friends.  One of them started to feel sick so went home the next morning with their carpool friend.  Both tested positive but no one else has reported feeling ill.   No big deal, the two simply did the right thing by going home.  

I am glad the antivxrs in the group weren’t close friends with the ill ones, so no high risk hugs had been exchanged.

July 19, 2022, 8:51 p.m.

It seems that being proactive in taking care of one's own health is becoming more and more valuable these days. 

Toronto emergency room physician Dr. Kashif Pirzada says a seventh wave of COVID-19 is fuelling a lot of the patient surges in his ER. He believes governments and the public have gone too far in doing away with public health measures, such as masking and physical distancing, which is why more people are getting sick and needing emergency care. “We’re getting waves (of COVID-19) every two to three months and the system was just not designed for the stress of this… so we’re seeing the strains now,” he said. “On the other hand, you also have staff completely burned out from dealing with this for the last two-and-a-half years. So a lot of people have left emergency medicine, nurses and physicians, and that’s contributing to the problem now.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8998826/er-doctors-health-system-collapsed-patient-surges-emergency-room-closures/

July 20, 2022, 10:08 a.m.

It seems that being proactive in taking care of one's own health is becoming more and more valuable these days.

Toronto emergency room physician Dr. Kashif Pirzada says a seventh wave of COVID-19 is fuelling a lot of the patient surges in his ER. He believes governments and the public have gone too far in doing away with public health measures, such as masking and physical distancing, which is why more people are getting sick and needing emergency care. “We’re getting waves (of COVID-19) every two to three months and the system was just not designed for the stress of this… so we’re seeing the strains now,” he said. “On the other hand, you also have staff completely burned out from dealing with this for the last two-and-a-half years. So a lot of people have left emergency medicine, nurses and physicians, and that’s contributing to the problem now.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8998826/er-doctors-health-system-collapsed-patient-surges-emergency-room-closures/

If you need any surgeries let me know. I used to be able to clean 300 sockeyes in 2 hours back in my fisherman days. I am a whiz with a knife and spoon.

Last edited by: chupacabra on July 20, 2022, 10:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 20, 2022, 11:11 a.m.

lulz

Covid has just accelerated or brought to the front the issues with our health care system. I am of course thinking about physical/mental/spiritual wellness; things like eating well, exrecise, no smoking, light drinking, introspection and connection.

July 20, 2022, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

If you need any surgeries let me know. I used to be able to clean 300 sockeyes in 2 hours back in my fisherman days. I am a whiz with a knife and spoon.

I used to think that^^ very thing while doing the  intricate operations on HW but I always followed that thot up with " If i fuck this up I just order the part and comeback tomorrow ... nobody dies "

I bought sockeye from walter and his cousin ( they are all cousins ) if you do it yourself in the backyard the hornets appear out of nowhere so i paid buddy extra  he said 1/2 hr to do 75 sockeye

July 23, 2022, 11:25 a.m.

When we're out riding these days it's worth considering what level of risk we're willing to take in light of the current strain on the medical system. 

"The voice of a veteran nurse at Lions Gate breaks and she pauses to control her emotions before explaining that nurses had between 12 and 17 patients to monitor as they laid in the waiting room on those days, along with triage duties. Her colleagues tried their best, she said, but needed more staff to provide these patients with proper care and to detect if they were starting to show symptoms of distress."

https://vancouversun.com/health/north-van-patient-dies-in-waiting-room-of-overcrowded-understaffed-hospital

July 23, 2022, 5:09 p.m.

When we're out riding these days it's worth considering what level of risk we're willing to take in light of the current strain on the medical system. 

"The voice of a veteran nurse at Lions Gate breaks and she pauses to control her emotions before explaining that nurses had between 12 and 17 patients to monitor as they laid in the waiting room on those days, along with triage duties. Her colleagues tried their best, she said, but needed more staff to provide these patients with proper care and to detect if they were starting to show symptoms of distress."

https://vancouversun.com/health/north-van-patient-dies-in-waiting-room-of-overcrowded-understaffed-hospital

Almost belongs its own thread though. Health Care system issues predate covid, and are not a result of covid. Maybe exacerbated, at most. 

Maybe an obvious statement, but man our public healthcare system is a disaster. 30% of my taxes go to a system where I can't even get a family doctor.

Sept. 3, 2022, 4:19 p.m.

I've been hearing of a push to get workers back into the office after Labour Day. Wonder how that's going to play out for everyone who cashed out of the city and moved to small affordable communities.

Maybe a ploy to shake off some payroll and outsource jobs?

Sept. 3, 2022, 6:59 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

I've been hearing of a push to get workers back into the office after Labour Day. Wonder how that's going to play out for everyone who cashed out of the city and moved to small affordable communities.

Maybe a ploy to shake off some payroll and outsource jobs?

Yeah the Man can change their minds  and expect you to come in ever day  so this was the first thing i asked myself

Sept. 3, 2022, 7:05 p.m.

LOL in a time where pretty much everyone is short handed... good luck with that

Fuck driving to an office to work at a computer that shit was dumb 15 years ago.