COVID-19

May 5, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

The beauty of excess deaths as a metric is that those things can be corrected for. The Reuters article I linked to mentions this feature.

True, but too often I've seen excess deaths being misrepresented because of that. Trying to explain that to some who is on the conspiracy train is tiring. I've generally just reduced my answers to simple yes/no unless it seems like there's an opportunity of beneficial discussion. Or sometimes I just say to myself IDGAF and don't bother saying anything. 

At the end of the day we know that limiting social contacts, masks etc are fairly effective if mostly everyone buys in. So I do what I'm willing to depending on the situation and also choose whether the risk in a particular is acceptable.

May 5, 2022, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

- Not sure where DaveM is getting his info from, but it seems to conflict with info I've seen

I got it from the place where the stats come from.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/COVID_sitrep/Week_16_2022_BC_COVID-19_Situation_Report.pdf

May 5, 2022, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: DaveM

- Not sure where DaveM is getting his info from, but it seems to conflict with info I've seen

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/COVID_sitrep/Week_16_2022_BC_COVID-19_Situation_Report.pdf

Ok. So at the time of the writing of the twitter link I posted it was 3wks after that change in data recording from BC. That link was also for Canadian stats and not just BC. Based on those two factors the change in data recording in BC would not make a noticeable, if any difference in the numbers listed in the link. Maybe in a few months from now it might, but that all depends on how virulent future waves are and what the numbers are lime in the more populous provinces.

May 5, 2022, 6:01 p.m.

@Chup - ill get back to you when I'm not mobile.

For anyone else: Is cominarty available yet or are we still using let alone promoting products that fall under the EAU? It makes zero sense to me to trust anything that's on the market now.

I'll say it again and all you can and should do your homework on this : 

they were never able to develop a vaccine for any corona / rhino virus in the past bc it mutates too fast. Both of those make up the common cold aka, the sniffles.

May 5, 2022, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

And these are the people you guys trust?

Trust the science like the Q tards trusted the plan eh? Ya how'd that work out for 'em.

I suggest you stop making assumptions about what other people believe until they state it explicitly, you’re rarely correct.

Whoa slow yer role homes. You guys assume everything about me all day long and insinuate as you please but i can't make that generalized statement?

Guess I hit a nerve and also proved another small double standard here in nbr.

May 5, 2022, 7:45 p.m.

The beauty of excess deaths as a metric is that those things can be corrected for. The Reuters article I linked to mentions this feature.

True, but too often I've seen excess deaths being misrepresented because of that. Trying to explain that to some who is on the conspiracy train is tiring. I've generally just reduced my answers to simple yes/no unless it seems like there's an opportunity of beneficial discussion. Or sometimes I just say to myself IDGAF and don't bother saying anything. 

At the end of the day we know that limiting social contacts, masks etc are fairly effective if mostly everyone buys in. So I do what I'm willing to depending on the situation and also choose whether the risk in a particular is acceptable.

Well, time to stop wasting time speaking logic and reason to people who are neither logical or reasonable!

May 5, 2022, 8:21 p.m.

Yeah, but then I'd have to stop talking to myself and I wouldn't have any more friends.

May 6, 2022, 8:30 p.m.

Yeah, but then I'd have to stop talking to myself and I wouldn't have any more friends.

They say it's the sign of genius. ..

May 7, 2022, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: DaveM

Ok. So at the time of the writing of the twitter link I posted it was 3wks after that change in data recording from BC. That link was also for Canadian stats and not just BC. Based on those two factors the change in data recording in BC would not make a noticeable, if any difference in the numbers listed in the link. Maybe in a few months from now it might, but that all depends on how virulent future waves are and what the numbers are lime in the more populous provinces.

The hospitalization stats have been reported that way for a long time, maybe 6 months or more. I'm not sure about the death rates, I haven't seen it described like that before.

July 4, 2022, 3:21 p.m.

"New science shows that Omicron and its variants are getting better at evading immune defences induced by vaccines or by natural infection. BA5, for example, is more transmissible than any previous variant.

As a consequence it is now possible to be reinfected with one of Omicron’s variants every two to three weeks.

The data also shows that each reinfection confers no immunity. A summer infection, for example, will not protect you against a fall infection. But each and every infection will damage your immune system regardless of how mild the symptoms."

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/07/04/Get-Ready-Forever-Plague/

July 4, 2022, 4:29 p.m.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8026810/

July 5, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

"New science shows that Omicron and its variants are getting better at evading immune defences induced by vaccines or by natural infection. BA5, for example, is more transmissible than any previous variant.

As a consequence it is now possible to be reinfected with one of Omicron’s variants every two to three weeks.

The data also shows that each reinfection confers no immunity. A summer infection, for example, will not protect you against a fall infection. But each and every infection will damage your immune system regardless of how mild the symptoms."

Also from that article.

"We could have avoided this deteriorating situation, as The Tyee repeatedly advised, by eliminating COVID in our communities more than a year ago."

To which I'd ask, How well has the Covid-zero approach worked out in China?  Are we prepared to accept a Shanghai style lockdown in 2022....

July 5, 2022, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Also from that article.

"We could have avoided this deteriorating situation, as The Tyee repeatedly advised, by eliminating COVID in our communities more than a year ago."

To which I'd ask, How well has the Covid-zero approach worked out in China?  Are we prepared to accept a Shanghai style lockdown in 2022....

Ya, I love how they say that "The Tyee repeatedly advised" as though saying a thing makes it feasible.  

I guess these new studies will finally convince the anti-vaxxers that toughing it out and protecting themselves by simply not being fat is going to backfire on them.  /s

July 5, 2022, 3:07 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Also from that article.

To which I'd ask, How well has the Covid-zero approach worked out in China? Are we prepared to accept a Shanghai style lockdown in 2022....

Ya, I love how they say that "The Tyee repeatedly advised" as though saying a thing makes it feasible.

I guess these new studies will finally convince the anti-vaxxers that toughing it out and protecting themselves by simply not being fat is going to backfire on them. /s

Yes, I balked at that line myself as I don't think covid zero is possible. However, taking a step back from that point I think the underlying message of trying to limit the spread of covid as much as possible makes sense. But that takes integration across all levels of government. Things like mandatory quaratine for people coming into the country. So if you take your vacay to the US or elsewhere are you prepared to quarantine for another 2 weeks at a govt supervised facility after you get back? Can they implement that at land, sea and air borders?

BC has been close to covid zero twice, but we relaxed restrictions (along with everyone else) and then a short time later things blew up again. Maybe we are all looking at this from too short a time frame and we need to be thinking years into the future in terms of policies and restrictions we need to implement. Humans are strange creatures in that we often tend to do things that negatively affect our long term outcomes in favour of having more comfortable short term outcomes.

Last edited by: syncro on July 5, 2022, 4:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
July 5, 2022, 3:36 p.m.

We were close twice, but maybe that is as good as it gets without closing the province off from the rest of the world.  People couldn't even handle the masks so it would be next to impossible to maintain something like COVID zero for very long.  The convoy is going to lose their truck nuts if we go back into full COVID mode now, so comfortable it is.