COVID-19

Nov. 26, 2021, 10:21 p.m.

I now personally know two vibrant older folks who died suddenly by this virus.  It hits hard and fast.

Nov. 26, 2021, 10:53 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

I now personally know two vibrant older folks who died suddenly by this virus.  It hits hard and fast.

Yup, you are right. Sorry to hear about your loss. I think it's important for people to realize that people getting infected and dying are neighbours, friends and family members. The risks are only theoretical until it effects you or someone you care about, then it becomes all too real all too fast.

Nov. 27, 2021, 5:36 a.m.

I ran into a cyclist on a ride that was struggling on a climb. We ended up talking and she told me that she had a mild case of COVID last year. Didn't think it was a big deal, but got long haul COVID issues. She went from a very active fit cyclist who loved to ride a lot to one that had no energy and couldn't breathe well so even minor climbs were a struggle. 

The death stats are grim enough, but there are many many more people living with life changing after effects of COVID that will still be needing medical help long after the pandemic is over.

Nov. 27, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

I guess everyone has a close family which you call aunt and uncle. Grew up with their kids which where pretty much family? Well 2 weeks ago their son died of covid... 42, healthy and unvaccinated.... Lynn Valley boy.

Didn't know anyone who even caught covid until this. 

What a waste.

Nov. 27, 2021, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I guess everyone has a close family which you call aunt and uncle. Grew up with their kids which where pretty much family? Well 2 weeks ago their son died of covid... 42, healthy and unvaccinated.... Lynn Valley boy.

Didn't know anyone who even caught covid until this.

What a waste.

That's ^^ probably why people don't get vaxed and/or think its a hoax, cuz its not unusual to not know anyone who has died according to worldometer, just 29,000 Canadians have died so thats 775 deaths per million, while the Americans are just about to tick off 800,000 dead or 2400 deaths per million so you would be 3 times more likely to know someone who died in America, some countries in Yurp are even worse , peru is the highest  at 6000 deaths per million

and this ^^ does not take into account people without Covid who have died waiting for HC becuz covid cases plugged up the  hospitol

its now mostly unvaxed people are now catching Covid/ dieing, its more/much worse than flu, and you may not know anyone who died, I don't

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 27, 2021, 1:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 27, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Allowing new variants to emerge and spread, 13 months into the vaccine era, is a policy choice by the rich world. https://t.co/Dt6RKLQNdZ

— srinivas murthy (@srinmurthy99) November 25, 2021

Rich nations are very quick to ban travel but very slow to share vaccines & know-how https://twitter.com/paimadhu/status/1464003592499650574?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

— Madhu Pai, MD, PhD (@paimadhu) November 25, 2021

Israel ALSO bans travel from South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Eswatini due to new “super” variant. This was our greatest fear & were almost prophetic in predicting that the world would eventually shut Africa out having denied us access to vaccines

— Dr. Ayoade Alakija https://twitter.com/yodifiji/status/1464000679249338372?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 27, 2021, 2:36 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 29, 2021, 10:56 a.m.

https://cloud.progressive.international/s/KiL5dnt8YA9Se5t#pdfviewer

Nov. 29, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

So my 26 year old active and fit non-smoking double vaxxed nephew caught covid last month.

Didn't have to go to the hospital but he said he's never been sicker in his life. 

Some would call this proof the vax doesn't work but there's also the possibility that without it he'd no longer be with us. He's also reported that he's felt 100% recovered for over a week now.

Nov. 29, 2021, 2:49 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

So my 26 year old active and fit non-smoking double vaxxed nephew caught covid last month.

Didn't have to go to the hospital but he said he's never been sicker in his life.

Some would call this proof the vax doesn't work but there's also the possibility that without it he'd no longer be with us. He's also reported that he's felt 100% recovered for over a week now.

Bingo ^^covid does not care how fit you are,

I would go with the idea he might be very lucky he is not in ICU with a tube down his throat and that he recovered 100% so he is not a long hauler with lingering issues

Nov. 29, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

“Some” would need a remedial course in statistics.

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:05 p.m.

Just curious if he was tested for covid and since he's double vaxxed, how they can tell it apart on the false positive scale? ... I heard that that ade stuff is real..

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:10 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I would go with the idea he might be very lucky he is not in ICU with a tube down his throat and that he recovered 100% so he is not a long hauler with lingering issues

There’s actually a pretty decent body of work that suggests it hits the obese far worse than those with lower BMI. Possibly Something to do with the virus being stored or replicated in adipose tissue.

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:21 p.m.

^^^ yup

I don't have the numbers handy but after the age factor, those with metabolic syndrome are at significantly greater risk of having a difficult time with covid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7666594/

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:49 p.m.

ok but the thing that got

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: XXX_er

There’s actually a pretty decent body of work that suggests it hits the obese far worse than those with lower BMI. Possibly Something to do with the virus being stored or replicated in adipose tissue.

Also the obese have all kinds of healtlh issues from being extremely overweight, whatever happend it was probably a good thing buddy had the Vax

Nov. 30, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Just curious if he was tested for covid and since he's double vaxxed, how they can tell it apart on the false positive scale? ... I heard that that ade stuff is real..

I thought about antibody dependent enhancement too but after reading some stuff I learned that vaccines that resulted in this got discontinued and there's no legit evidence of this yet with the covid vaccines. 

I guess it all comes down to if you think they're out to get us or not then of course you would believe that evidence of ADE was being supressed. I'm not sure how they would be able to supress it though

Some possible good news for once on the Omicron front though. Early signs suggest this might just be the more infectious yet far less deadly mutation we've been waiting for. If this is the case it will become the dominant strain in time similar to how the deadly spanish flu turned into the regular flu that's still around today. 

I'll take any hope I can get.