COVID-19

Oct. 4, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

"Being understanding" hasn't worked thus far, soooooo ....

Are you sure? Is there any sort of evidence or research to back that up? There are number of different opinions/reasons among the group of people who are not yet vaccinated and to assume they are all anti-vax/conspiracy types would be wrong. If the message being sent to all of those people as a group is shame, then what are the chances that those who are hesitant/resistant for non-conspiracy type reason are going to be willing to seek advice or more info to help sort out their questions?  Oberman is in a position of influence so he has a responsibility to not be a raging asshole in talking about this.

Oct. 4, 2021, 2:48 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

"Being understanding" hasn't worked thus far, soooooo ....

Are you sure? Is there any sort of evidence or research to back that up? 

Oct. 4, 2021, 2:51 p.m.

That there is a big-ass graph!!

(thus, clearly important)

Oct. 4, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

Look at the photos of any of those big "anti-mask, anti-vax" protests. I mean, look closely. Do you see any of those attending who appear to be a member of the "marginalized social groups whose trust in government has been eroded"?

Nope, they're all white as fuck, entitled as fuck, and stupid as fuck, and I'm at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to any amount of patience with their stupid asses.

Last edited by: KenN on Oct. 4, 2021, 2:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2021, 3:23 p.m.

apologies for the large graph.  the image embedding in this forum is not great.

Oct. 4, 2021, 3:53 p.m.

Look at the photos of any of those big "anti-mask, anti-vax" protests. I mean, look closely. Do you see any of those attending who appear to be a member of the "marginalized social groups whose trust in government has been eroded"?

Nope, they're all white as fuck, entitled as fuck, and stupid as fuck, and I'm at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to any amount of patience with their stupid asses.

So it's only the people at those events who aren't vax'd?

Oct. 4, 2021, 3:56 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

GRAPH!

Similar response as for KenN - all Repub's are the conspiracy types?

EDIT:

Also, considering that data is 6 months old and was taken at a time when US covid cases were much lower and trending down do you think it's relevant in the recent covid storm?

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 4, 2021, 4:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2021, 4:17 p.m.

Some pages back, I put together my thoughts on 5 distinct types of people that have yet to be vaccinated. I think for purposes of this part of the conversation, we are discussing the vocal and vehemently anti-vax. The ones showing up at rallies, the ones showing up at school boards, the ones denying science, the ones pretending masks are a threat to their freedom,  the ones believing and spreading all the lies and misinformation online.

For that group, in the USA, yes, I absolutely believe the large majority of that group are TrumpPublicans.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Oct. 4, 2021, 4:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2021, 4:38 p.m.

Ok, so you think the yelling and shaming strategy is effective? Are there any potential consequences to that strategy?

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 4, 2021, 4:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2021, 5:08 p.m.

I have no more patience left for that group.

They won’t listen to me, or to you, or to anyone that’s not part of their ‘tribe’.  The right wing has decided (stupidly) that this is an us vs them political issue.  Until they decide that it’s an all of us vs the virus public health issue, nothing will change.  Yelling and shaming won’t help, but it’s a form of catharsis for the rest of us.

Since they’ve made this calculation, they should just hurry up and get infected already.  That’s realistically what they’ve gone with.  I’d just like to see the insurance companies cutting Covid related expenses from policies if people are choosing to go unvaccinated.

Oct. 4, 2021, 5:27 p.m.

I have no more patience left for that group.

They won’t listen to me, or to you, or to anyone that’s not part of their ‘tribe’.  The right wing has decided (stupidly) that this is an us vs them political issue.  Until they decide that it’s an all of us vs the virus public health issue, nothing will change.  Yelling and shaming won’t help, but it’s a form of catharsis for the rest of us.

Since they’ve made this calculation, they should just hurry up and get infected already.  That’s realistically what they’ve gone with.  I’d just like to see the insurance companies cutting Covid related expenses from policies if people are choosing to go unvaccinated.

My concern is about the consequences. There's already enough things to divide people with, adding rage and shame is just going to intensify and widen that divide and make it harder for society to function well. I'm frustrated too, but I've also already made peace with the fact that covid is going to be around for a while and that my energy is better spent on things I can control than things I can't. Sure it may be cathartic, but if it plays out to long it becomes detrimental to your own health.

Oct. 4, 2021, 6:10 p.m.

For that group, in the USA, yes, I absolutely believe the large majority of that group are TrumpPublicans.

And you're wrong many are rural poor and have had bad outcomes dealing with the for profit healthcare rip-you-off system that they have to jump through multiple financial/logistical hoops to access and so are understandably skeptical.

You Cdns are soooooooo predictable in your holier-than-thou attitudes.

But I do agree that people in Cda. who are not illiterate and have access to free vaccines are at this point criminally responsible for causing lack of access to healthcare for others.

Oct. 5, 2021, 4:49 a.m.

For the ones who are in everyone’s face about it and have pride in their ignorance, Shame. For those who engage in mass protest where it doesn’t belong, shame, for those who won’t get vaccinated because of their dislike for “the man”, shame! 

For those who willingly put others at risk to further their own agenda, SHAME and🖕🖕🖕

Oct. 5, 2021, 10:07 a.m.

at this point we are down to the denyiers/ anti vaxer'ers who are essentialy the same on either side of the line, they are clogging up the ICU's, they read the same BS and spout the same rhetoric almost word for word, the only thing i wonder is about the numbers per capita

so don't get sick or hurt cuz there is no hospital capacity

Oct. 5, 2021, 11:02 a.m.