COVID-19

June 5, 2021, 8:04 p.m.

I take my apology for an old movie reference back. It has led to a excellent and weird tangent.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on June 5, 2021, 8:05 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 6, 2021, 12:54 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Look at the lineup of actors, any one of them could carry a movie on their own but they were all together on the Big Lebowski, it  is a cult classic and you can not watch it just once because every time you watch it  you pick up another in-joke you missed the other times, I have probably seen it 6 or 8 times all Cohen bros movies are fully scripted so great lines with no ad-libs 

and who hasnt lived it in some way,

who hasn't scattered their mothers ashes off a boat at light house park  and been covered in mom ?

Ballad of Buster Scruggs worth it?

June 6, 2021, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/a-chinese-phd-thesis-sheds-important-new-light-on-the-origin-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

Surprised you didn't link the youtube vid mentioned in the comments. It's by PBS's Frontline, which adds credibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzbcG7CRYgQ

Last edited by: syncro on June 6, 2021, 2:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 6, 2021, 7:25 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/a-chinese-phd-thesis-sheds-important-new-light-on-the-origin-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

who hasn't scattered their mothers ashes off a boat at light house park and been covered in mom ?

Me. What we didn't put underground we scattered judiciously around her lake place standing downwind of the urn. Duh.

So you WANTED to get moms ashes all over you?

lol...well fuck me - typing dyslexia!

I promise to drink more before p;osting.

June 6, 2021, 7:31 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Surprised you didn't link the youtube vid mentioned in the comments. It's by PBS's Frontline, which adds credibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzbcG7CRYgQ

I was just happy the Counterpunch editor included link to original publisher.

June 6, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

Posted by: tashi,

who hasn't scattered their mothers ashes off a boat at light house park and been covered in mom ?

Me. What we didn't put underground we scattered judiciously around her lake place standing downwind of the urn. Duh.

So you WANTED to get moms ashes all over you?

actulay it was my father who wanted a sea burial cuz he had served in her Majesties Royal navy in WWII, so how do you actulay dump ashes and how do you do it at sea?

I talked to the undertaker and he said you don't want ashes everywhere when you cut that zip tie off the bag so what you do it cut a looney sized hole in the corner of the plastic bag when you are ready to scatter, that way you get a nice pouring action as ever one is crying cuz its kind of an emotional event if you go in for that kind of thing , you know... emotions

I talked to the boat captain and told him to at the apointed time head the boat up-wind for the scattering cuz we have all seen the Big Lebowski, the captain and crew all smiled politely

so Lighthouse point in west van is always fucking rough weather, dads scattering went a little better so I got less of dad on me than i got of mom, I followed him up by pouring a beer in after him

Ii'm not sure why we scattered mom in the same place but it was even rougher, I got a lot of mom on me with the winds swerling around the stern so being a Big Lebowski fan yo gotta laugh

my other siblings are thinking he is down there ... hiding from her

I am now completely out of parents to scatter (or wear) but your takeaway from my experience and The Dudes might be ... to pick a calm spot

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 6, 2021, 8:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 11, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

June 11, 2021, 7:55 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Look at the lineup of actors, any one of them could carry a movie on their own but they were all together on the Big Lebowski, it  is a cult classic and you can not watch it just once because every time you watch it  you pick up another in-joke you missed the other times, I have probably seen it 6 or 8 times

Ballad of Buster Scruggs worth it?

I had higher expectations, but you should see it just so you can complain about it

June 12, 2021, 3:55 p.m.

Max Bernier arrested for opposing covid lockdowns ?

June 12, 2021, 4:15 p.m.

I duno who complained, wasnt me in any case spending all your time here acting like an asshole is how you got your own ass banned if thats what actualy happened as opposed to they wouldnt let you use the computer in the psyche ward, in any case without you around things are way more civil cuz  there is enough air in the room for everyone and it would be nice if things stayed that way

Since it looks like we can't be friends perhaps you can be civil? 

Either way you identify as a whiner since that triggered a reply. Why reply otherwise yo?

June 13, 2021, 8:42 a.m.

its been suggested that I " not respond to anymore of his nonsense " so i can't comment

maybe someone else wants to talk to you

June 18, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

+ Interesting comments on the Delta Variant from the Tweet feed of Dr. Bob Wachter, chair of the UCSF School of Medicine…

If you’re fully vaxxed, I wouldn’t be too worried, especially if you’re in a highly vaxxed region….

Unvaxxed may well do OK for a while, probably through summer [due to the large number of vaccinated people]. But fall/winter now scares me a lot, much more than it did 2 weeks ago….

For Delta, Pfizer dose 1 is only ~33% protective. https://gov.uk/…/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1… This creates 2 problems: 1) People stay vulnerable until after shot 2 (& many let guard down earlier); 2) Loss in efficacy for dose 1 points to some degree of vaccine/immune escape. And – though this isn’t proven – I’d worry that a fully vaccinated elder, or someone whose immunity stems from an infection >12 mths ago, won’t be sufficiently protected over time, if immunity falls below a threshold needed to thwart Delta….

For a vaccinated person, watch the Delta % in your region (currently ~6% in the U.S. & rising) & Covid cases in your community. https://cidrap.umn.edu/…/delta-variant-makes-6-us-covid… If you’re seeing more cases & more Delta, I’d restore some precautions (esp. if you’re high risk) – at least indoor mask wearing (if you’ve stopped; BTW, I haven’t) in places w/ unvaxxed/unmasked folks.

I’ll now bet we’ll see significant (incl. many hospitalizations/deaths) surges this fall in low-vaccine populations due to combo of seasonality, Delta’s nastiness, & “back to normal” behavior…

For me, Delta adds to my resolve to keep mask on indoors when unvaxxed/unmasked people may be around. And I’m getting psychologically prepped for some restrictions to return in fall (tho highly vaxxed places like SF will likely do fine). Nobody wants that, but the virus doesn’t care what we want. For unvaxxed, I wish you well but my sympathy is flagging. Your bad choice is looking worse.

June 19, 2021, 12:55 a.m.

+ Interesting comments on the Delta Variant from the Tweet feed of Dr. Bob Wachter, chair of the UCSF School of Medicine…

If you’re fully vaxxed, I wouldn’t be too worried, especially if you’re in a highly vaxxed region….

Unvaxxed may well do OK for a while, probably through summer [due to the large number of vaccinated people]. But fall/winter now scares me a lot, much more than it did 2 weeks ago….

For Delta, Pfizer dose 1 is only ~33% protective. https://gov.uk/…/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1… This creates 2 problems: 1) People stay vulnerable until after shot 2 (& many let guard down earlier); 2) Loss in efficacy for dose 1 points to some degree of vaccine/immune escape. And – though this isn’t proven – I’d worry that a fully vaccinated elder, or someone whose immunity stems from an infection >12 mths ago, won’t be sufficiently protected over time, if immunity falls below a threshold needed to thwart Delta….

For a vaccinated person, watch the Delta % in your region (currently ~6% in the U.S. & rising) & Covid cases in your community. https://cidrap.umn.edu/…/delta-variant-makes-6-us-covid… If you’re seeing more cases & more Delta, I’d restore some precautions (esp. if you’re high risk) – at least indoor mask wearing (if you’ve stopped; BTW, I haven’t) in places w/ unvaxxed/unmasked folks.

I’ll now bet we’ll see significant (incl. many hospitalizations/deaths) surges this fall in low-vaccine populations due to combo of seasonality, Delta’s nastiness, & “back to normal” behavior…

For me, Delta adds to my resolve to keep mask on indoors when unvaxxed/unmasked people may be around. And I’m getting psychologically prepped for some restrictions to return in fall (tho highly vaxxed places like SF will likely do fine). Nobody wants that, but the virus doesn’t care what we want. For unvaxxed, I wish you well but my sympathy is flagging. Your bad choice is looking worse.

Masks have limited effectiveness for preventing spread/transmission from an infected individual.  And unless you're wearing a respirator rated at n95 or higher, masks are basically useless at protecting you from getting covid.

Still the best advice (besides being vax'd) is limiting contact with people you don't know to be vax'd or having immunity due to being already infected. At this point, imho we need to be prepared to live with this long term as a new type of flu and forgo most of the lockdown stuff. Unless the entire planet does it to completely stamp this thing out it's here to stay, and that opportunity has long passed. Time to get on with this being a risk for some people and then going about limiting your risk as best you can if you fall into the high risk group. More people die from other highly preventable stupid shit on a yearly basis, some some flu-like virus should not be destabilizing the world.

June 19, 2021, 11:19 a.m.

Syncro - you bloody anti-masker and COVIDIOT #1.

Just kidding I agree with you 100%.

June 19, 2021, 11:26 a.m.

Posted by: thefishtailbites

Syncro - you bloody anti-masker and COVIDIOT #1.

Just kidding I agree with you 100%.

hahaha

I think the thing that we all need to consider now that enough time has passed now to have some reasonable date accumulation and that we need to start thinking about different methods in terms of dealing with covid and it's variants over the long term. There will undoubtedly be a lot of the naysayers who were screaming all sorts of nonsense back at the start who will point their fingers and say "See! I told you so!", but what they won't grasp is that for some of them while some of their conclusions may have been right, their methods/reasoning from that time are still flawed. Broken clock effect. I think part of the issue we face is the medical and scientific community coming to terms with it's hubris that has existed for a long time.

Last edited by: syncro on June 19, 2021, 12:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.