COVID-19

May 14, 2021, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: switch

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Adam-West

Yay I'm getting my first Jab at the end of the month

It is moving fast now.  In our office of 9 people only the 2 youngest guys haven't had theirs but both of them are scheduled in the next few weeks.

Still only half of eligible people have been vaccinated, or about 35 to 40 percent of the population.  It'll be a while before BC reaches 75 percent.

For sure, there is a lot of people to go yet, but the rate of vaccination is impressive.  I saw a graph the other day that compared the rates with the US and UK based on when the vaccines started being administered by each country and they started at a much better rate then us because they had a good supply from the start, but at this many days in they were both slowing down.  BC has almost caught of the the percentage of the population vaccinated in the same amount of time.  What will be interesting is seeing when hesitancy starts becoming a factor and it slows due to less people wanting it.

Recent polling suggest vaccine hesitancy exists in a pretty small percentage of the population. 

It just seems like there's a lot of them because they're so loud on social media. 

Apparently only 5% of the population are responsible for 90% of posts on facebook and twitter.

May 14, 2021, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange
Apparently only 5% of the population are responsible for 90% of posts on facebook and twitter.

That sounds about right to me... I don't suppose you remember where you got that from?

May 14, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

That sounds about right to me... I don't suppose you remember where you got that from?

Heard it on CBC radio.

I thought you were gone. I've made a bunch of posts where you didn't mention the uyghurs. You alright?

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 14, 2021, 1:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2021, 1:56 p.m.

Recent polling suggest vaccine hesitancy exists in a pretty small percentage of the population. 

It just seems like there's a lot of them because they're so loud on social media. 

Ya, that seems about right to me.  Even in Squamish I don't run into too many that say they won't take it.  just a few that wanted to skip the AZ vaccine.

May 14, 2021, 3:16 p.m.

Viral protein shedding. It's a thing, eh?

May 14, 2021, 3:42 p.m.

apparently down in the excited states they having to are pay people to vax, amazon employees were going to get 100$ , a guy on-line told me they were getting 250$ gift cards at his company

May 14, 2021, 4:29 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

apparently down in the excited states they having to are pay people to vax, amazon employees were going to get 100$ , a guy on-line told me they were getting 250$ gift cards at his company

Seems like a pretty cynical take to me. If I thought the vaccine was gonna kill me it would take a lot more than a 250 gift card to make me take it. More like a gun in my face.

Sounds more like a feel good corporate bone toss for good publicity.

May 14, 2021, 4:32 p.m.

Seems like a pretty cynical take to me. If I thought the vaccine was gonna kill me it would take a lot more than a 250 gift card to make me take it. More like a gun in my face.

Whatever works, man. Now, if you Canadians would just drop your objections to PP.

May 14, 2021, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Anecdotal, but you're the only person I've heard of first hand account having bad reactions to the Pfizer. Hope you feel better!

Have a low fever and some body aches, hips and shoulders right now and the headache is hanging on. The lady who checks on you after the shot told that since I had the virus before that my symptoms may be worse. Apparently if you’ve had it your immune system has seen this before and jumps all over it.

May 14, 2021, 7:21 p.m.

well throwing a little cash at  a pretty fucking lazy and/or dumb not so commited  anti-vaxer  so they can get a new Tattoo or a vidya game might be enough to get more vax  into more arms and its probably cost effective for the company giving the money out

May 16, 2021, 12:51 p.m.

Canada’s refusal to waive intellectual property rights on COVID-19 vaccines should be a crime against humanity

The U.S. surprised the world last week by throwing its weight behind waiving intellectual property rights for COVID-19 vaccines. Under pressure to respond similarly, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said: “I can assure you Canada is not interfering or blocking. Canada is very much working to find a solution.”

This is typical nonconfrontational Canadian prevarication. “Not blocking” in this case still functions as a block.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2021/05/15/canadas-refusal-to-waive-intellectual-property-rights-on-covid-19-vaccines-should-be-a-crime-against-humanity.html

By some counts, Canada has ordered enough vaccines to inoculate our population four times over. Meanwhile, where the virus feasts on humans, it continues to mutate dangerously making life unsafe for all — and exposing our myopic decision-making in the bargain.

So when Trudeau says he wants Canada to play mediator, to bring about a balance between protecting companies and improving vaccine access to poorer countries, he’s talking about a balance between profit and life. “Our” profit, “their” lives.

As intellectual property rights expert Achal Prabhala outlines on The Dig podcast, the U.S. and other rich nations gave companies such as Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca billions of dollars — billions — in no-strings-attached grants to do the research, meaning no risk to the companies if they failed. Then they paid the companies billions of dollars — billions — in preorders so the companies were guaranteed buyers even before coming into the market. Now, they enjoy a global monopoly — largely funded by taxpayer labor.

Last edited by: tungsten on May 16, 2021, 12:57 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 16, 2021, 1:55 p.m.

https://ghpartners.org/syringes4cuba/

May 22, 2021, 11:45 p.m.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/argentinas-gravediggers-plead-vaccines-death-toll-climbs-2021-05-19/

Michael Flynn said today that covid was a conspiracy to control the American people and divert attention away from stealing the election. He said it is not a problem in the rest of world, and he doesn’t worry about it because he has been taking hydroxychloroquin for 30 years. pic.twitter.com/2YzW3qNmAB

— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) May 21, 2021

Last edited by: tungsten on May 22, 2021, 11:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 25, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

https://www.rt.com/news/524796-canada-soldier-mutiny-covid-vaccine/

May 25, 2021, 10:08 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.rt.com/news/524796-canada-soldier-mutiny-covid-vaccine/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/