COVID-19

Oct. 6, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

So Halloween is just around the corner. With Covid surging what are the parents on here doing? My 13 year old girls are pretty bummed that it could be a bust. Are you letting the kids trick or treat? Are you handing out candy? I’m only just starting to think about it.

We are cancelling Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas, Easter, Birthdays and any playdates for our kids until this thing is over. It's terrifying what's happening out there! ;)

Oct. 6, 2020, 10:15 a.m.

We are going to have a small outdoor party with about 4-5 kids and get a smoke machine, candy.  My daughter is 8 and really loves Halloween.  This is better than nothing.  I get over 100 kids at my house so it is depressing that we can't have that again this year.

Oct. 6, 2020, 10:18 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

So Halloween is just around the corner. With Covid surging what are the parents on here doing? My 13 year old girls are pretty bummed that it could be a bust. Are you letting the kids trick or treat? Are you handing out candy? I’m only just starting to think about it.

We are cancelling Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas, Easter, Birthdays and any playdates for our kids until this thing is over. It's terrifying what's happening out there! ;)

I know you are joking, but I have people in my family that think being precautious and following strict guidelines comes from fear.  They seem oblivious to the social obligation to keep the pandemic controllable.  My wife's grandpa got super pissed off when her dad offered to grocery shop for him.  He is 95 and thinks he is brave and we are scared.  Dumb Ass.

Oct. 6, 2020, 3:34 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-a-qbQwnA&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=NationalPost

Oct. 9, 2020, 6:14 p.m.

Cdn. author....

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/10/09/fake-covid-19-pandemic-refuting-the-conspiracy-theory-gone-global/

Oct. 18, 2020, 1:03 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I know you are joking, but I have people in my family that think being precautious and following strict guidelines comes from fear.  They seem oblivious to the social obligation to keep the pandemic controllable.  My wife's grandpa got super pissed off when her dad offered to grocery shop for him.  He is 95 and thinks he is brave and we are scared.  Dumb Ass.

Social obligation? Pretty sure any one in their 90s has a completely different idea of social obligations. Add to that, that generation wasnt coddled.

Oct. 19, 2020, 2 p.m.

This is going around the internet, if it didnt have an FDA link I wouldnt post it. (Bottom of) Page 39 of this link says:

The analytical sensitivity of the rRT-PCR assays contained in the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel were determined in Limit of Detection studies. Since no quantified virus isolates of the 2019-nCoV are currently available, assays designed for detection of the 2019-nCoV RNA were tested with... 

Oct. 19, 2020, 2:15 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

This is going around the internet, if it didnt have an FDA link I wouldnt post it. (Bottom of) Page 39 of this link says:

The analytical sensitivity of the rRT-PCR assays contained in the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel were determined in Limit of Detection studies. Since no quantified virus isolates of the 2019-nCoV are currently available, assays designed for detection of the 2019-nCoV RNA were tested with... 

Im not sure what your point here is? The sequence of the virus is well known. You do not need actual virus to create assays to detect the virus. Yay science!

Oct. 19, 2020, 2:38 p.m.

https://commonground.ca/covid-19-5000-shades-of-grey/

Comment from the health pro's?

Oct. 19, 2020, 3:12 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Koch's postulates were formed before we knew about viral diseases. They do not apply in many cases of viral disease, so using them in this article as a backbone to their commentary is flawed.

As for the tests, the theory of RT-PCR is correctly summarized, but how it is used in practice varies greatly.  It definitely isnt a perfect test for the situation we are in, but im OK with having a few false positives vs false negatives for now.

Oct. 19, 2020, 4:05 p.m.

Social obligation? Pretty sure any one in their 90s has a completely different idea of social obligations. Add to that, that generation wasnt coddled.

He is old and hates change.  It has nothing to do with being coddled or not.

You just fall for the same flawed logic that to face COVID without taking precautions is what tough guys do.

Oct. 20, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Im not sure what your point here is? The sequence of the virus is well known. You do not need actual virus to create assays to detect the virus. Yay science!

... My point is - does one not need a virus for a pandemic? Does an assay test show ongoing infection? To my knowledge, since it a cultured blood sample, it just shows the presence of... something? And, do you not need a virus isolate to know what you're looking for?

Oct. 20, 2020, 11:51 a.m.

He is old and hates change.  It has nothing to do with being coddled or not.

You just fall for the same flawed logic that to face COVID without taking precautions is what tough guys do.

Hey Karen, I have a sweet collection of masks!

Oct. 20, 2020, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Koch's postulates were formed before we knew about viral diseases. They do not apply in many cases of viral disease, so using them in this article as a backbone to their commentary is flawed.

As for the tests, the theory of RT-PCR is correctly summarized, but how it is used in practice varies greatly.  It definitely isnt a perfect test for the situation we are in, but im OK with having a few false positives vs false negatives for now.

Why not look at the Flu numbers for the past year?

Oct. 20, 2020, 1:17 p.m.

... My point is - does one not need a virus for a pandemic? Does an assay test show ongoing infection? To my knowledge, since it a cultured blood sample, it just shows the presence of... something? And, do you not need a virus isolate to know what you're looking for?

One does not need a virus to create an assay when the sequence is already known. The virus would have been isolated in order to get its genomic sequence initially.  Keeping live virus stocks around is difficult and unnecessarily dangerous.  The current test used will show that there are viral RNA particles circulating in the sample. It means that sample is currently infected with or has recently been infected with the virus of interest. There are plenty of immunology and genomics sources out there to understand how this all works. The assay targets a specific RNA sequence from the virus of interest, so there is little to no chance you are assaying for some other pathogen.