COVID-19

July 23, 2020, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I see no difference to that beach party and the racist protests.

But you aren't allowed to say that right?

Things have moved on, people at risk are being shielded more carefully, for the vast majority this virus isn't going to be a big issue for them. This is where the lack of conformity is creeping in. it's a free world so I'm not going to judge. Just keep the fuck away from me.

Well, you just said it, so you are allowed apparently. I actually agree to some extent. Not that the protests are racist, that is just ignorant, but that the virus doesn't care what the purpose of your gathering is. I will say though that the pics of the protests that I saw showed a lot more distancing and mask-wearing than the beach bongofest, so events like this could be worse.

Nothing has moved on. I will be delightfully surprised if we don't have another surge in cases this fall and end up back in partial lockdown. At-risk people are not shielded, what makes you think that. They will be required to go back to work just like everyone else, and if not, their family members or friends will so the risk is still there. The only way to keep life as normal as it is now is for people to stop thinking they can go back to normal because the virus doesn't affect them.

Last edited by: chupacabra on July 23, 2020, 10:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 23, 2020, 12:37 p.m.

They should ticket every one of the partiers, and if any are getting financial support because of Covid, that support should be cancelled.

July 23, 2020, 12:39 p.m.

I wasn't saying the protests were racist???

Yup, I agree, more people were wearing masks at the protests than the beach but way more people in attendance at the protests. I can't imagine they all formed an orderly cue to get the main area where they were meeting. If you look at the huge protests / riots in LA there was little social distancing going on and now a big spike - just coincidence?

And the most at-risk people are being shielded. Now Care Homes / Hospitals / Meat plants don't have workers travelling from one unit to another. A large portion of our death / case numbers came from the fact the virus was being spread around this way.

If you know you are at risk then surely you are isolating yourself? (I know a few personally). Yes, there's going to be cases where people don't know they are at-risk catching this virus, I could be one of them, but I'd rather try and live my day as normal as I can without affecting others.

Take your vitamins, exercise and keep off the junk food.

This is gold...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpbrvWe3xFk

Last edited by: Kieran on July 23, 2020, 12:50 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 23, 2020, 3:07 p.m.

“Racist protests” was the phrase you used.

Who has said that the virus wouldn’t spread through protests? 

What argument are you actually trying to make or counter here?

July 23, 2020, 4:03 p.m.

Come on you know what I was meant to say. Stop being a dick.

The point I'm making is nothing was said about the Covid situation and the protest here. But as soon as the beachfest went down everyone is jumping up and down with pitchforks.

July 23, 2020, 4:05 p.m.

I think he meant to say "racism protests", as in protests against racism.

July 23, 2020, 4:10 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Bingo!!!! Not a giant leap.

July 23, 2020, 6:07 p.m.

Don't worry, we know what you meant. Apparently every Tues night is Wook drum circle night at third beach. So I imagine next week will be a bigger turnout.

July 23, 2020, 9:23 p.m.

The point I'm making is nothing was said about the Covid situation and the protest here. But as soon as the beachfest went down everyone is jumping up and down with pitchforks.

If that’s being a dick than I guess I’m a dick. And you’re way too fucking sensitive. I don’t know you so I have no idea what you mean to say, all I have is what you actually do say. 

I don’t know about NBR, but I personally objected to the risk involved in protesting to people around me, and didn’t participate because of it. I also requested that my staff get tests if they participated. 

If you want to understand why people would object to this, consider the importance of a drum circle vs that of fighting white supremacy, consider how much people like to make fun of hippies, consider the recent increase in cases, and consider how it looks when you criticize people fighting for their rights vs how it looks when you make fun of wooks.

The differing responses are predictable, really.

July 23, 2020, 11:46 p.m.

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/505586-the-coronavirus-climate-air-conditioning-nexus

July 24, 2020, 8:40 a.m.

LOL.  Sorry man, I honestly thought you meant the protests were racist.  I get what you meant now.

July 24, 2020, 10:57 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

If that’s being a dick than I guess I’m a dick. And you’re way too fucking sensitive. I don’t know you so I have no idea what you mean to say, all I have is what you actually do say. 

I don’t know about NBR, but I personally objected to the risk involved in protesting to people around me, and didn’t participate because of it. I also requested that my staff get tests if they participated. 

If you want to understand why people would object to this, consider the importance of a drum circle vs that of fighting white supremacy, consider how much people like to make fun of hippies, consider the recent increase in cases, and consider how it looks when you criticize people fighting for their rights vs how it looks when you make fun of wooks.

The differing responses are predictable, really.

Yeah, you're right. You don't know me. But then I don't know you. (You actually know slightly more as you know my name, unless yours is Tashi?)

I can only go on past interactions we've had in the past and there's been a few in this thread where we have differing views on this. So after I replied to Chups first comment, I thought this made it clear that it was a mistake. So I thought you were being a bit of a dick to raise it. If that's me being too sensitive, then I guess I was being too sensitive.

Anyway, I read a good article from The Times today about superspreaders. One of the takes from it was where it's more likely you can get infected, and this is indoors and not outside.

“Superspreading becomes more and more important the rarer the disease gets,” Professor Hunter said. “Given that these cases can double every three or four days, by the time you actually realise you’ve got a problem you’ve got quite a few cases out there, and trying to tackle them all before they spread the infection becomes a race against time. And it is one you won’t always win.”

This is what superspreaders do. They are a source of uncontrolled instability in a superficially stable system.

What do we do with this information? The first thing to realise is that there is no such thing, in isolation, as a superspreader. Some epidemiologists talk of superspreading events, rather than people. To thwart the virus, stop the events. Put everyone in masks, control large gatherings, keep the windows open.

In a recent paper produced for Sage, Dr Kucharski and his colleagues listed the worst places for clusters. Few will be surprised by the list they produced. “Hospitals, elderly care, worker dormitories, food processing plants, prisons, schools, shopping, religious events and ships” came top, closely followed by “weddings, sport, bars, shopping, conferences and work”.

All good Chup. Dam auto correct on my phone. It's not the first time its got me in bother.

July 24, 2020, 5:30 p.m.

Busses, they forgot busses.

Also...... https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/07/24/covid-19-and-bioweapons-research/

Last edited by: tungsten on July 24, 2020, 5:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 1, 2020, 12:52 a.m.

https://youtu.be/iXatarwVI7k

Aug. 1, 2020, 5:50 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Kind of a shame that the ignorance of some make the whole nation look horribly stupid. It’s just a mask, its not like anyone is telling them that they have to turn in their MAGA hats.