COVID-19

April 29, 2020, 7:57 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Currently approx 4000 empty beds in the province according to my previously posted article.

As you can tell, I didnt read that at first. Soooo thank you as well.

April 29, 2020, 8:01 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: Kieran

Only 89 people in hospitals in the whole of BC and just 35 in ICU yet no surgeries happening and no word of when they will start up again. This part of the whole lockdown thing I find just fucking crazy.

You have cancer? Tough shit you have to wait it out, meanwhile you have covid, in you come.

I was curious to know the vacancy rate so to speak. Thanks for posting up and obviously hugely agree.

Currently approx 4000 empty beds in the province according to my previously posted article.

Holy cow!

April 29, 2020, 8:02 p.m.

Perhaps another brightside is people will learn just what a hospital visit is actually for.

April 29, 2020, 8:22 p.m.

I'm talking about what if you have recently been diagnosed with something serious - cancer, heart issues etc. that needs surgery, you now have to wait it out.

I know of someone here in BC that needs heart surgery. They are waiting.

And it's not just here, I also know someone in the UK that requires surgery due to cancer. Again they are having to wait.

Meanwhile both hospitals in those cases are not that busy. Such a head fuck for all involved.

How many people do you know that have recently been diagnosed with something serious and have been told to wait and what was the severity of their condition?

April 29, 2020, 9:02 p.m.

How are people feeling about the possibility of things opening up? Nervous / Anxious / Can't Wait / Neither?

I'm pretty anxious about it, but I have no solutions either. I just feel that we have gotten to this stage of slowing down the spread by doing the measures that we've been doing. All it seems to take is one sick worker at a poultry facility and now 80 more are infected. What is going to happen when restrictions are loosened up and people get complacent. That 80 could be much more pretty easily.

April 29, 2020, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I'm talking about what if you have recently been diagnosed with something serious - cancer, heart issues etc. that needs surgery, you now have to wait it out.

I know of someone here in BC that needs heart surgery. They are waiting.

And it's not just here, I also know someone in the UK that requires surgery due to cancer. Again they are having to wait.

Meanwhile both hospitals in those cases are not that busy. Such a head fuck for all involved.

How many people do you know that have recently been diagnosed with something serious and have been told to wait and what was the severity of their condition?

As I said, I know of one person (needing heart surgery) and as pointed out there are 4000 empty beds. I don't recall the news of additional beds / hospital wards been created just for Covid patients.

Those numbers suggest patients with serious conditions that require a bed for the night are not been treated. I doubt on any normal week there are 4000 beds free but then maybe there are?

April 29, 2020, 9:39 p.m.

From the article I linked above: 

"According to Health Minister Adrian Dix, B.C. currently has more than 4,000 available hospital beds, space that was cleared to make way for COVID-19 patients, in large part by cancelled scheduled elective surgeries. Dix said 16,101 procedures have been cancelled since March 16."

April 29, 2020, 10:40 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Thats hard to speculate. Think about it, Canada's first confirmed case was Jan 27. So to me, that means thats when testing became available. Which means there's at least a month of missing numbers for everything regarding China virus in Canada as it didnt just show up late January. So ya, the numbers are higher in my mind.

And in your mind you still call it the 'China' virus?  Im not sure id pay all that much attention to anything that comes from that mind.  The number of cases is higher? Or the number of deaths?  The number of cases is absolutely higher than is reported as we dont have the capacity to test everyone.

So if the cases are higher, than your 99.8% will be different.  And I'll call it the beercrown virus if I want, the virus doesnt care. As long as we can agree covid isnt contagious while beervirus is, that'll be a good start. Oh and lets call is sars2 because its fizzling just like that did.

I guess you dont care that during China's lockdown, the Chinese were allowed to travel internationally but they werent allowed to travel within China. ie: You could fly from Wuhan to Vancouver/NYC/Tokyo but you could not fly from Wuhan to Beijing/Guanzhou/Hainan.  So what should we call the german measle's then? What about Dengue fever - I'm sure that river hates being associated with that.

I already clearly stated that the numbers for the calculation I was using was for cases that had a positive test result. There is no other way of doing such a calculation.  Are you going to use made up numbers of 'maybe there are more but we dont know as we havent tested them'?  

We should call the German measles Rubella, as that is its scientific name. Why doesnt it surprise me that you think the name 'German' measles indicates it originated in Germany....

Dengue fever is named after the dengue virus. Its name has nothing to do with this mythical river you are talking about.

April 29, 2020, 10:47 p.m.

I already clearly stated that the numbers for the calculation I was using was for cases that had a positive test result. There is no other way of doing such a calculation.  Are you going to use made up numbers of 'maybe there are more but we dont know as we havent tested them'?  

We should call the German measles Rubella, as that is its scientific name. Why doesnt it surprise me that you think the name 'German' measles indicates it originated in Germany....

Dengue fever is named after the dengue virus. Its name has nothing to do with this mythical river you are talking about.

I just dont see any contagious aspect to your numbers thats all. No rNaught or spread. Some people use a simple ratio for the projections - for every confirmed case, there is X amount of unconfirmed. As for calling it China virus, if German measles didnt start in Germany, other than its a Trump term, why cant we call it the China virus because we dont know where it started yet (or do we?). And it appears you got on me the river part.

April 30, 2020, 10:52 a.m.

Really interesting thought to why Sweden is not the experiment but the rest of the world is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoGp9vgeGRc

April 30, 2020, 11:48 a.m.

As I said, I know of one person (needing heart surgery) and as pointed out there are 4000 empty beds. I don't recall the news of additional beds / hospital wards been created just for Covid patients.

Those numbers suggest patients with serious conditions that require a bed for the night are not been treated. I doubt on any normal week there are 4000 beds free but then maybe there are?

Necessary surgeries have never been stopped.  Only surgeries that aren't life-critical.

April 30, 2020, 11:52 a.m.

Really interesting thought to why Sweden is not the experiment but the rest of the world is.

Cato Institute?  Really?  Fuck those assholes.

"The Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank based in Washington, D.C. founded in January 1977 by Charles Koch, chairman of the “board and chief executive officer of Koch Industries, Inc., along with Edward H. Crane and Murray Rothbard. 

According to its website, 'The mission of the Cato Institute is to originate, disseminate, and increase understanding of public policies based on the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets, and peace. Our vision is to create free, open, and civil societies founded on libertarian principles.' "

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Cato_Institute

April 30, 2020, noon

This is all one big experiment.  Unfortunately for Sweden they willingly took the risks and have lost lives because of it, but the forecast for their economy is just as bad, so we won't know if it was a smart move until this thing has run its course.  

IMO, the US was the least prepared culturally to flatten the curve.  They love to brag about working sick and skipping their holidays.  The poor don't have health care or sick leave so they just keep working.  And now they have politicized basic shit like wearing a mask.  The Swedes, on the other hand, are very practical.  Their success, if it is successful, may not be easily replicated in other countries.  

Reports are now coming out that death rates overall are spiking well beyond the COVID numbers.  Some of it will be uncounted COVID deaths, but it looks like a lot of the deaths are also people scared to go to the hospitals where the disease is rampant.  

I think the best approach varies from country to country and it will keep changing as we learn more.

April 30, 2020, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

This is all one big experiment.  Unfortunately for Sweden they willingly took the risks and have lost lives because of it, but the forecast for their economy is just as bad, so we won't know if it was a smart move until this thing has run its course. 

Anything with "social" is an experiment it seems. It's pretty sad yet interesting how fearful everyone is but also how they're willing to rally behind what the government tells them to do (bang some pots n pans at this time, sing the Anthem at high noon) but they do so blindly. No questions asked. Someone in this thread already told me it was dangerous thinking to question certain things. So this is definitely a real experiment with a preconceived outcome for societal changes such as more citizen "policing of each other" with incentives (iow - ratting out your nieghbors commie style). No one is questioning how the governments is moulding your lives.

As for Sweden being part of it, then we should add Taiwan to the control group for another country that did things differently with probably the overall best success so far, specially considering they arent part of the WHO reporting or funding network. Which means they have to rely on their own info and act out of an abundance of caution.

Here's Taiwan's covid numbers:

Confirmed: 429

Recovered: 322

Deaths:       006

All because they blocked Chinese passports? Something Sweden didnt do to my knowledge.

April 30, 2020, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Anything with "social" is an experiment it seems. It's pretty sad yet interesting how fearful everyone is but also how they're willing to rally behind what the government tells them to do (bang some pots n pans at this time, sing the Anthem at high noon) but they do so blindly. No questions asked. Someone in this thread already told me it was dangerous thinking to question certain things. So this is definitely a real experiment with a preconceived outcome for societal changes such as more citizen "policing of each other" with incentives (iow - ratting out your nieghbors commie style). No one is questioning how the governments is moulding your lives.

As for Sweden being part of it, then we should add Taiwan to the control group for another country that did things differently with probably the overall best success so far, specially considering they arent part of the WHO reporting or funding network. Which means they have to rely on their own info and act out of an abundance of caution.

Here's Taiwan's covid numbers:

Confirmed: 429

Recovered: 322

Deaths:       006

All because they blocked Chinese passports? Something Sweden didnt do to my knowledge.

Sweden didn't block passports, but Taiwan's success isn't ALL because they blocked Chinese passports.  They managed to keep the virus from spreading the same way Singapore did.  With lots of testing, social distancing measures, and intrusive contact tracing.  It is also not a coincidence they are both small islands, so contact tracing can be done quickly.